English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 15 March 2004, 18:05   #1
fiath

CAPS - Donations now possible

The time has come for a change in our policy. We meant for this project to be completely internally funded. However, we recognise that CAPS could benefit greatly from the additional funds from people who have expressed a wish to donate but we have declined to accept for various reasons.

Therefore we have now provided a mechanism for monetary donations by setting up our Public Accounting System that details both donations, and exactly what we use that money for. This system will directly show how every penny donated goes into fulfilling the aims of the project.

Do not feel obligated to donate money to the project, it is simply there for people to show their appreciation for what we do, and to take a hand in helping us do it. Together as a community, we will be far more able to preserve our digital heritage because not doing so, has effects that we dare not contemplate.

To read a more about this, and to donate money should you wish to, please visit the accounts page on the site.

http://www.caps-project.org
Old 15 March 2004, 18:47   #2
jmmijo

Nice, I guess the reason for the no donations was due to being a non-profit orginization ?!?

Anyway I think this will help you folks out and that CAPS will become a much better project in the future
Old 15 March 2004, 21:28   #3
fiath

Well, not quite. We are still a non-profit organisation. Actually, we are very much a negative profit organisation!

Non-profit organisations usually receive money (as side effects, grants, etc.), they just put all the money back into whatever they do - that is just what we are doing here. Large organisations generally have salaries to pay, whereas our salaries fund CAPS

I guess the best distinction is that a for-profit company has shareholders and its entire existance is based on making money for them. A non-profit organisation has no shareholders and its entire existance is for its role and any money made is put into making it better.

One of the reasons we have not done this in the past is because we are very idealistic. We did not want money to come into it. Unfortunately, we do not have unlimited funds available (far from it) to do what we think is best for the cause, and so we are actually hurting the cause by *not* accepting donations.

Nowadays projects asking for donations is much more common. Since we personally think that there are very few community projects out there that are more important than software preservation, we decided to go that route because it is the best thing we can do to make our goals more realistic in the time frame we have to work with, i.e. before all floppy disks are (bit)rotten.

As we are showing *exactly* what is coming in and going out, and on what, we hope to give people a sense of "value for money" which may make more people likely to donate to the cause.
Old 16 March 2004, 09:38   #4
fiath

Big thumbs up to Cody for donating 80 EUR! That was extremely generous!

Just for information. Our current buying target is some of a bunch of games that are extremely rare to find unmodified. More information to come when they are secured.
Old 17 March 2004, 20:03   #5
DeCreator

Yes well done to Cody, it puts my 10 UK pounds to shame, but is all I can afford at the minute.

DeCreator

Old 17 March 2004, 23:56   #6
fiath

All are welcome! Thank you very much!

I guess you didn't want to be _that_ anonymous then

Last edited by fiath; 18 March 2004 at 00:05.