English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 18 October 2010, 18:26   #61
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
And finally here is the same page loaded with my 16 colour palette.

Just to clarify, I have spent years perfecting my palette to work with as many Amiga GUIs, Workbench games, MOD players, icon sets, photos, illustrations, 3D CGI, and any other images I can throw at it. I have disected and compared as many alternate 16 colour palettes as I can find from around the world, and I have made this palette completely OCS-compatible, and there are no pens that cause AGA screen flashing (such as 255,255,255 and 0,0,0). I doubt a better all-round compatible palette could be made, I can't change a single pen value without results looking worse.
I'm glad to see my "16-colour Bikini search" trend has caught on. (...how could it not?)

My palette is slightly different - less saturated blue, no real orange or pink (as you can tell by the badly coloured pink "Brazil bikini"), but I needed more grey shades for anti-aliased text.

I have a 4-colour version of this WB. (more of a greyscale/bluescale kind of thing... but what can you expect with 4 colours?)
Old 20 October 2010, 06:36   #62
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I don't want to appear to be flaunting my screenshots, but I think I'll.... flaunt my screenshots. (sorry, this is a thread about 16-colour optimized palettes and I just couldn't help myself)

I haven't changed anything for a few years, so if you've seen my Amiga 500 screenshots before, there's nothing really new to see here. "Nothing to see here... move along."

Desktop

Desktop - showing some icons from my archive (DOOM icon deliberately left chunky for that pixelated DOOM look)

Menu with font "icons"

Edit: My older screenshots used the same palette. (oldest is smaller, before I went with maximum overscan)

Last edited by mr_a500; 20 October 2010 at 09:59.
Old 01 November 2010, 14:46   #63
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
BTW for all people crying for low chipmem, you should use CyberbugFix AGA
Incredible.. I'm very concerned with the Chip memory. In fact, I didn't want to upgrade OS3.9 from BB2 to BB4 because of the chipmem loss.
This were my results after upgrading two days ago:
BB2 Chip Ram: 1.416Kb (69%)
BB3 Chip Ram: 1.135 (55%)
BB4 Chip Ram: 1.170 (57%)

All was using Fblit, Ftext, and others, but I've just installed CyberbugFixAGA and my chip ram with 64 colors and BB4 now is:
1443Kb (71%). Ah, I've got a Blizzard 1260.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 November 2010 at 15:00.
Old 01 November 2010, 15:33   #64
Frog

I'm glad it help you to preserve the precious chipmem
Old 01 November 2010, 17:58   #65
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

It's really incredible. I have just installed it in another CF in which I have Amikit for a Real Amiga (my favourite), in which I had 1681512 Graphics memory. Now I have 1756120! Incredible. Even, now it appears an Amikit presentation-window while booting that didn't before (don't know why). Look what beauty:
[ Show youtube player ]

Oh, and sorry for the interruption... (I'm so happy).

Cammy there's a problem with the link of the Scalos Palette, not sure if it's the page or the link itself.

Last edited by Retrofan; 01 November 2010 at 18:31.
Old 01 November 2010, 22:22   #66
gulliver
BoingBagged

@Retrofan
Could you please upload the video without music? It is blocked in my country by Sony Music entertainment
Old 02 November 2010, 01:00   #67
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hi:
As nobody tells, the video is a shit. I made it with my mobile and I can't see nothing well, and if you could listen it you would see that each time I pump up the volume, the mobile turns down it automatically in the recording. I've made a couple of photos (with the same mobile), but I have to say a couple of things:
First: As I was planning to make the photos in the LCD I have, I changed Euro72 from Storage to Devs, and as you know it wastes chipmem, but I coudn't connect it and did the photos to the Tv, but with the same changes, so the chipmem in the photos is lower than the real one. (BTW it seems to me that it wasn't Euro72 what I had to use)

Second: The Graphics memory I've tell is with 256 colors!!!
I've changed it to 16 to try and it has given me 18560000 graphics memory!!!!! But won't make a photo of that, because it was very very ugly. I haven't installed any new palette, but I don't know if the first Workbench has so much chipram, and my Amikit is over OS3.9 boingagged 2!
Ah! I don't have any graphic card and the accelerator is a B1260 at 66Mhz. Of course, there are things dissabled, but I have others like the online update that work.
Here are a couple of photos, but tell me:

Does anybody have more chipram than I? I've heard a Frog sometimes can make dreams come true, but I thought it was a tale, so Frog thanks again... (and I owe you a kiss)

EDIT:
I won't make another post talking about something not related to the thread, and I really beg you pardon, but if someone wants to try the Amikit installation here are the instructions http://amiga-manuals.xiik.net/other/...Manual-ENG.pdf, although it was really difficult to make it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABCD0002.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	26860   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABCD0003.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	26861   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABCD0004.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	549.0 KB
ID:	26862   Click image for larger version

Name:	ABCD0005.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	547.4 KB
ID:	26863  

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 November 2010 at 02:55.
Old 02 November 2010, 11:57   #68
Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Hi:
Second: The Graphics memory I've tell is with 256 colors!!!
I've changed it to 16 to try and it has given me 18560000 graphics memory!!!!!
Does anybody have more chipram than I? I've heard a Frog sometimes can make dreams come true, but I thought it was a tale, so Frog thanks again... (and I owe you a kiss)
hehe... 1,8 Mo of chipmem for a 16 colors wb sound better to me.
For my 64 colors wb under Scalos i get 1,5Mo of ChipMem

and sorry for being off topic too
Old 02 November 2010, 17:18   #69
Amiga1992

Awesome screens, mr. a500!
Old 02 November 2010, 21:45   #70
Fabie
Banned

can any1 upload again to the zone that 16 color Rebel'palette please
thanks
Old 02 November 2010, 23:02   #71
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
EDIT:
I won't make another post talking about something not related to the thread, and I really beg you pardon, but if someone wants to try the Amikit installation here are the instructions http://amiga-manuals.xiik.net/other/...Manual-ENG.pdf, although it was really difficult to make it.
Not at all mate. Thanks for your effort on that!
Old 02 November 2010, 23:04   #72
Anemos
70X7

The classic is a classic..
WB of Amiga is unique!
for super modern desktop screen use PC (or MAC) ,is superb...
Old 03 November 2010, 15:22   #73
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

@Cammy
What's needed to get those configs working on a real 1200???. I have only at the moment 8mb ram.
Old 03 November 2010, 16:28   #74
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
@Cammy
What's needed to get those configs working on a real 1200???. I have only at the moment 8mb ram.
8MB RAM is plenty to run this setup. There are several extra commands and patches to install to get it this far, but the main ones are VisualPrefs, Birdie and FullPalette.

I'd really like to work on this project with a larger group of people who would like to help test and add to it so we can come up with a fun new Workbench distribution that fits along with ClassicWB, AmigaSys and Amikit, but we don't have a forum to hold development discussions on.
Old 03 November 2010, 20:57   #75
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Thanks a lot for the reply Cammy!!!. This weekend i will stay with the classic until it gets configured on that setup. It's impressive for a bare aga display!.
Old 03 November 2010, 23:12   #76
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, I understand it has to be easy, but is there any small guide, link to other Thread or some comment of how to install/use that palette for Idiots/Newbies?
Old 13 November 2010, 23:44   #77
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Perhaps it's too soon, but I would like to know how the "Radioactive Workbench" goes, if someone has joined to Cammy and Rebel to make a different Classic Workbench with their improvements...
Old 14 November 2010, 02:03   #78
Cammy

No one has really offered to help other than asking if they can use the pack for themselves. It's such a big job it could take years to finish it at the current rate. We have nowhere to even start a forum or thread about it, so nowhere for general discussion about the packs, testing reports or a list of what needs to be done.

I'm sorry if I've let you down, it's kind of tiring working on so many Amiga projects at once with little or no help. It's not that I don't have the time, I've pretty much dedicated my life to furthering the Amiga cause in as many ways as I can, but it's a lot to do alone!

I'd like to make this "Modern Workbench" an open project where anyone can contribute. Rebel and I are writing up some basic style guides in case anyone does have the time to help, so things like how to best use the palette and how to make icons in the right size will be explained in an attempt to keep the pack consistent. But once again, we have no forum for Amiga projects like this, so it will probably not happen for a long time.
Old 14 November 2010, 08:21   #79
vk3heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
But once again, we have no forum for Amiga projects like this, so it will probably not happen for a long time.
err Cammy. You are using a Amiga Fourm now. Ask the guys that run eab if they could create a area on here for you, even if it was a sub section of the clasicwb area.
Old 14 November 2010, 09:03   #80
squidbass

@Cammy

A question I've always meant to ask you...how on earth did you get workbench2000 to run. I cannot get it to run on any of my amigas. I think it's a lib missing or something as when I start it it gets half way thru loading and just stops...

@everyone else - I'm talking about the XP like startbar in the above screenshots