English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 07 January 2013, 11:36   #61
edd_jedi

I'm pretty sure it's the games as opposed to the TV, it's the same on my other large LCD screen, and most games and Workbench are, as you say, not centered.

If you look closely at the Lemmings screenshot you can see that the 'border' is still there, it's just been manipulated. Sensi has obviously found a way around it (overscan?)

This is why I believe this was a deliberate software configuration (by AmigaDOS perhaps?) to cater for old, round screened CRT TVs.
Old 07 January 2013, 13:22   #62
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
My display is also right-oriented, just a little. But it's still noticeable.
Old 16 February 2013, 12:31   #63
edd_jedi

Just thought I'd post another observation on the subject. I was playing Road Rash, and as you can see although the off-center main display is there, you can also see that the gradient background goes outside of the bordered area.

I'd be very interested if anybody understands why this border is there, and how certain games manipulate it or even get around it completely (see above.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	34288  
Old 16 February 2013, 13:40   #64
Amiga1992

Copper banding usually goes all over the screen area into overscan, this is why you see it exceeding the regular play screen. It's like on the C64, the "border" is a special area you access differently.

My guess is, and knowing not much about coding, is that the way copper banding works (or, at least, the way is implemented here), it affects all the screen memory on that bitplane, filling even onto the overscan with color data.
Old 16 February 2013, 19:43   #65
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd_jedi View Post
I'd be very interested if anybody understands why this border is there, and how certain games manipulate it or even get around it completely (see above.)
The Amiga display hardware is pretty flexible. You're not bound to 320 or 640 pixels across, you can widen or narrow it as you wish.
Old 16 February 2013, 20:04   #66
Amiga1992

I was just playing Fire & Ice CD32 and it has a ridiculous amount of border on the left side. Looks absolutely ridiculous.

Old 16 February 2013, 20:44   #67
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
on the very latest winuae beta, the border bug is once again here...... it shows up bugs which are not appearing on the real hardware (no matter the display being centered or not).

Look here :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B_003.png
Views:	278
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	34293  
Old 16 February 2013, 20:46   #68
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I was just playing Fire & Ice CD32 and it has a ridiculous amount of border on the left side. Looks absolutely ridiculous.

You just have to move your TV set a little bit to the right. IT will be perfectly centered.

Jokes aside indeed that is a fair chunk of black unused space.
Old 16 February 2013, 21:01   #69
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
on the very latest winuae beta, the border bug is once again here...... it shows up bugs which are not appearing on the real hardware (no matter the display being centered or not).

Look here :
Not this again. It happens on real hardware. Get a monitor that has less overscan and you'll see it, everyone with 1081 or similar monitor has seen this with A500 demos!
Old 16 February 2013, 22:30   #70
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

indeed, but you can only saw them if the screen is not correctly setted (it's like winuae display is larger that a real amiga screen, in fact it should stay hidden.
Old 16 February 2013, 23:41   #71
roy bates

on a crt monitor the the height and width is adjustable to fill the screen and i still remember when i had a 1084s from new and adjusting this to fit the screen with no borders.(and the centering of the display)

its pretty much impossible on lcd screens.
Old 16 February 2013, 23:53   #72
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
on a crt monitor the the height and width is adjustable to fill the screen and i still remember when i had a 1084s from new and adjusting this to fit the screen with no borders.(and the centering of the display)
Same here with my 1084. I don't actually see how this can be 'fixed'. Maybe changing the connection type to the TV? Otherwise it seems impossible to fix the problem without adjusting the TV.
Old 17 February 2013, 00:01   #73
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
indeed, but you can only saw them if the screen is not correctly setted (it's like winuae display is larger that a real amiga screen, in fact it should stay hidden.
I'm with Toni. If real Amigas output that, but the display device doesn't overscan enough to show it, then WinUAE should output the same thing before any filtering/shaders/overlays. Emulators should always emulate the full signal output, borders and all. This is what pisses me off about most console emulators (and some computer emulators), that they don't show any overscan area at all. It's not accurate and thus wrong.
Old 17 February 2013, 00:13   #74
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Same here with my 1084. I don't actually see how this can be 'fixed'. Maybe changing the connection type to the TV? Otherwise it seems impossible to fix the problem without adjusting the TV.

i dont think it can be fixed unfortunatly.
Old 17 February 2013, 11:15   #75
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If full overscan is not visible by default, then everyone would complain that (for example) The Settlers' screen is clipped.
Old 17 February 2013, 13:22   #76
Amiga1992

Quote:
What? No man, you are wrong. This is part of the overscan, and as such, the full display of the Amiga.

You cannot account for ridiculousness like mechanical monitor size and centering settings, are you crazy? Make yourself a filter that eliminates teh overscan area and be done with it. This isn't ab ug.

Now, get back on topic.
Old 17 February 2013, 16:49   #77
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

indeed, i have finally made a filter to correct this it's the best of both worlds
Old 18 February 2013, 19:08   #78
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
What? No man, you are wrong. This is part of the overscan, and as such, the full display of the Amiga.

Now, get back on topic.
Good idea.

Quote:
On a REAL Amiga, the picture sways to the right of the monitor. It happens on an LCD TV through RGB, it happens on a monitor through Composite and it happens on my scandoubled display on a 14" VGA CRT.
Short answer: True.
So from eab old-schooler to eab old-schooler, let me put up a challenge for everyone: :
(Note: You cannot make (nor pass) this test with only an emulated Amiga within reach. Sorry.)

1. Have a REAL Amiga ready, preferably an A500 with 1084|1084S color monitor.
2. Boot with original Workbench and adjust H/V centering/stretching so that it's perfect once and for all.
3. Take 20-25 games of your choice on real floppy disk (preferably jump 'n runs, or shoot-em-ups, i.e. those known to hammer the Amiga chipset, like "Battle Squadron") and boot them, one after another. (Optionally test-play them, but that's according to your free will)

Prove me wrong what I'm going to say now:

From all 20-25 games, you will not achieve the goal of having a centered picture with all of the games without "player's intervention". Once in a while, you will have to touch the H/V centering and/or H/V stretching knob(s) of the 1084 even though you would refrain from doing so.

Happy proving!
(My assumption is that on real hardware, it will be hard for you guys to prove me wrong. Simply because I clearly do remember having to tweak the screen specs all the time with different programs/games on my 1084 (thomas said it before, IOW). Having them set to the same values for 1-2 weeks was exceptionally rare, since soon there was one game that would be special again and needed to get its H-stretching adjusted at least a bit. For an Amigan, a broken V- or H-stretching knob on his monitor is utterly a catastrophic situation .)

Last edited by andreas; 18 February 2013 at 19:29.
Old 19 February 2013, 01:33   #79
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
If full overscan is not visible by default, then everyone would complain that (for example) The Settlers' screen is clipped.
+1 This is a really good feature of WinUAE.

A game that i noticed uses the full width of a CRT TV really well is Exile.
I dont have real hardware to hand anymore but it would be interesting if that game is intentionally shifted left to compensate.
Old 20 February 2013, 03:36   #80
Amiga1992

Andreas is absolutely right and proves the point. I had to tweak the monitor many times depending on the game, trying to make it occupy as much of the screen and be centered as much as possible.

Now I wish LCD TVs had these functions, because my CD32 certainly looks ridiculous.