English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2001, 20:22   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Grapevine - Returns

Hello chaps,
Somebody, i.e. me, is determined to bring back Grapevine, the once illustrious Diskmag that was produced by LSD. Several abortive attempts have been made to bring it back, but this time it will be coming back.

work has already started.

Articles are needed. The format will be roughly the same as the old Grapevine (but will actually work!).

anyone who wants to contribute any music or graphics will be welcomed and credited. You want to help give the Amiga scene a kick..... nows your chance to prove it!

Articles and graphics etc should be sent to: GVARTICLES@AOL.COM

All articles must be in English, if your spelling isnt great, dont sweat myne iz!
Old 11 October 2001, 20:25   #2
RetroMan

that´s nice news Maybe I´ll send in some gfx art depends on when I find my disks anyway..... good luck
Old 11 October 2001, 20:57   #3
Amiga1992

Great! I Will try to submit something (after I finish the SID compo)...

In what format can the music be? I use AHX or MusicLIne the most (but the last one is shite to use in anyting except by itself, AHX mods are small)

Another question, will I be able to watch teh mag on my 2MB A600? It would be cool if I could use it in my oldschool equipment
Old 11 October 2001, 21:03   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Much as I would like to support the A600 I very much doubt it. I had it in mind to do it all AGA.

I suppose I could do a bypass for the title graphics, but then I'm not being fair to AGA owners, who lets face it, havent really had a good deal yet.

The specs:

1). AGA titles
2). Most likely a single file, with music being the only seperate element.
3). I hope the first issue will at least be similar in content as the last issues of Grapevine.

4). Music for the first two issues will be Protracker, a poll will go into the first issue to gauge how powerfull peoples machines are, I like Musicline, but its very processor intensive if you are not carefull.

If people submit graphics in 32 colours and it doesn't affect the quality of the magazine, then I will cater for OCS/ECS, but to be honest I would feel better not. (the days of me trying to fit the Titanic in a bottle are over I think!)
Old 11 October 2001, 21:10   #5
Amiga1992

That is quite understandable mate. That's why I asked about MusicLIne too, I love it, but it kills processors If you can fit AHX I'll bedelighted, it's been so long since I did a protracker tune!

Anyway will try to contribute something. At least a graphic. But first, I must fix my meega monitor
Old 12 October 2001, 01:22   #6
Djay
95th User

seeing as most Amiga owners machines are dead and some massive Amiga fans probably don't use/own an Amiga now, i second s4murai motion to make the new Grapevine available as ADF. I lot of the work i do is through emulated means so it would be great to see a current diskmag with is available to all fans!

if you don't make the new Grapevine ADF, you'll lose a MASSIVE readership!

i also hope the diskmag features a emulation section dedicated to the amig emu scene!
Old 12 October 2001, 11:54   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I was under the impression that UAE and Fellow were not limited to ADF files and that they had Hard drive file support?

The plan was to make Grapevine as compact as possible, whether its possible to fit it onto one disk is another matter!

Does nobody use Hard drive emulation?
Old 12 October 2001, 12:19   #8
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
I was under the impression that UAE and Fellow were not limited to ADF files and that they had Hard drive file support?

The plan was to make Grapevine as compact as possible, whether its possible to fit it onto one disk is another matter!

Does nobody use Hard drive emulation?
I use Hard drive emulation, but using directories.

I don't thing HDF files will be that popular as the might not be compatible with real Amigas.

Most people should be able to cope with 1 lha or lzx file per edition as long there are instructions.

One more thing Fellow and Winfellow does not support AGA.
Old 12 October 2001, 12:22   #9
Ian
Global Moderator

I think most if not all of use HD emulation

But a diskmag used to be just that, a magazine on a (Floppy) disk, if you want to do it on HD this time round that would be fine with me, it's just these old sceners (Twistin') that you need to worry about, they don't like change you know
Old 12 October 2001, 12:28   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Grapevine will be a zip file (as most Amiga owners are quite adept), all you would do is unarc it to your virtual hard drive.... bingo, all icons are there, you are away.

As for Fellow.... thats too bad.

Its bad enough having to worry about the A5oo without worrying about an emulator that doesnt support AGA.

The final version will depend on the quality of the graphics I receive.
Old 12 October 2001, 14:03   #11
Amigaboy

I hate HDFs. I don't see what's wrong with DMS's though. WinUAE has support for these.

Also. Using programs like DMS2ADF and XDMS, these can easily be converted to ADFs

Not only that, but actual Amiga users will benefit too

Old 12 October 2001, 15:15   #12
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

At the moment its a moot point. No articles = no Grapevine, so if you want to help steer Grapevine in the 'right' direction..... see it gets made.... in one form or another!
Old 12 October 2001, 18:40   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Amiga related is obviously good, but as in the original Grapevine, anything goes, humour, sick jokes, coding tutorials, nostalgia, party reports, news, etc, etc.

Having looked at the old Grapevines, only the name will be the same, the design will get an overhaul.
Old 12 October 2001, 22:44   #14
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Question Erm, what exactly are these Grapevine formats?

Excuse my ignorance but I have never seen a Grapevine disk at all! What kind of format is all the information in? Is it a bit like those old music disk compilations where you get an intro with scrolly text and F1-F10 to load a tune/article or something?

Can someone please upload a few of them, preferably one with the Carrier Command cracking tutorial and maybe one of the last ones so we know what kind of stuff is acceptable?
Old 13 October 2001, 01:05   #15
Amigaboy

Codetapper: You can get most (all?) of the Grapevine mags from Aminet http://uk.aminet.net/aminetbin/find?Grapevine

LSD Disk 21 has a "3D Pool - How To Crack It" tutorial
LSD Disk 26 has a "Budokan - How To Crack It" tutorial
LSD Disk 54 has something called "How To Crack" which I'm assuming is the Carrier Command tutorial

The LSD Docs are available from http://amiga.emucamp.com/apps_lsddocs.htm

Old 13 October 2001, 07:42   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
...if you want to do it on HD this time round that would be fine with me, it's just these old sceners (Twistin') that you need to worry about, they don't like change you know
Ahem. You wish you were an old scener! Whilst I was perusing the real thing in real time, you were probably drooling Gerbers baby food onto your diapers. And even then, I was using hard drives on my Amiga with my Video Toaster setup. Don't get mad at me because you can't understand a command line util like DMS...

So I say phooey on you again.
Old 14 October 2001, 20:26   #17
Amiga1992

I second teh phooey sentence ;D
Old 15 October 2001, 08:37   #18
Amigaboy

I think we've all strayed away from the point of this thread

I bet Galahad would prefer to get a magazine completed before he tries to figure out what format it will be distributed in

Old 15 October 2001, 08:55   #19
RetroMan

I agree with Amigaboy, lets contribute something, not complaining about the final format it will be released in .....
Old 15 October 2001, 10:28   #20
icycool
Banned

Lets go back in time.. splitted??

There was actually 1 comment in there that was directly about Grapevine for Galahad

Last edited by icycool; 15 October 2001 at 10:36.