English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 09 September 2017, 18:55   #1921
plasmab
Banned

Yes I intended to get rid of it but my experiments didn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 September 2017, 00:40   #1922
Mr.Flibble

BTW, if you're using the 90 degree relocator board, please check the cap you bent over to make it fit - I had one start leaking electrolyte because I pushed it slightly too far.

You might be better off replacing the cap with a surface mount one, or a new cap with longer legs.
Old 12 September 2017, 21:05   #1923
kim_jorgensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Flibble View Post
BTW, if you're using the 90 degree relocator board, please check the cap you bent over to make it fit - I had one start leaking electrolyte because I pushed it slightly too far.

You might be better off replacing the cap with a surface mount one, or a new cap with longer legs.
Thanks for the warning. I had already recapped my Amiga so there was no problem bending that cap.
Old 12 September 2017, 22:48   #1924
Mr.Flibble

That's good news.

I checked the position of the cap to see if a cut-out would help, but the cap is in different places between the rev6a and the rev8a, and while it would work for the 8a, it'd foul the sockets on the 6a.

I could re-design it again, but then you'd run into clearance issues with the TF530 on the power cap towards the top of the board, and the board would then be bigger than 10x10cm so would cost more to build..

Probably best to just replace the cap if it's a problem.
Old 15 September 2017, 22:01   #1925
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
That's good news.

I checked the position of the cap to see if a cut-out would help, but the cap is in different places between the rev6a and the rev8a, and while it would work for the 8a, it'd foul the sockets on the 6a.

I could re-design it again, but then you'd run into clearance issues with the TF530 on the power cap towards the top of the board, and the board would then be bigger than 10x10cm so would cost more to build..

Probably best to just replace the cap if it's a problem.
Hi Mr.Flibble,
this cap is thru hole, so even people without soldering skills can swap it out.
I have very strange behavoir: all of my boards (i have TF530 Rev.2's only) are working great on A500+ 8A, but doesen't boot on rev.6A boards?! I have spent a lot of hours, but i can't sort out the problem. Does anyone managed to boot them on standard A500 6a?
DiagROM shows no problem

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 15 September 2017 at 22:49.
Old 15 September 2017, 22:30   #1926
Mr.Flibble

Yup, hence why I said to swap it out if the legs are too short to bend it over.
Old 16 September 2017, 12:08   #1927
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Bit Dreams View Post
Hi Mr.Flibble,
I have very strange behavoir: all of my boards (i have TF530 Rev.2's only) are working great on A500+ 8A, but doesen't boot on rev.6A boards?! I have spent a lot of hours, but i can't sort out the problem. Does anyone managed to boot them on standard A500 6a?
DiagROM shows no problem

I did. Also on rev 5 and Atari ST

Old 16 September 2017, 12:43   #1928
kim_jorgensen

I just tested with a TF530 rev. 3 and that boots fine on a rev. 6a. Did you check your power supply, Mr. Flibble?

To push it a bit further I also tested with an AlfaRam RA5-8M connected to the side expansion port. With that connected I could not get the Amiga to boot regardless of the configuration of the AlfaRam (disabled, 2MB, 4MB, 8MB)
Old 16 September 2017, 13:21   #1929
Mr.Flibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_jorgensen View Post
I just tested with a TF530 rev. 3 and that boots fine on a rev. 6a. Did you check your power supply, Mr. Flibble?
Although I also have a rev 6 with a non working rev 2, it's 8-bit dreams with the issue

I'm currently waiting on supplies so I can burn a diagrom to check what the issue is.
Old 16 September 2017, 13:29   #1930
kim_jorgensen

Quote:
Although I also have a rev 6 with a non working rev 2, it's 8-bit dreams with the issue
Whoops! Yes, I meant 8-bit dreams
Old 16 September 2017, 16:08   #1931
kim_jorgensen

To enable autoboot from IDE on Kickstart 1.3 I have created a ROM image based on scsi.device 43.45. This has been tested using a hacked version of FS-UAE and it works
See https://github.com/KimJorgensen/Amiga-IDE-Boot-Rom.

Now the question is how to incorporate a ROM on the TF530. Would it be possible to connect a serial ROM to the SPI port, or is the CPLD simply too small for that?
Old 16 September 2017, 16:38   #1932
Black68

Quote:
Hi Mr.Flibble,
DiagROM shows no problem
I have three TF530 Rev.2 and two Amiga Rev.6a boards. They work ok but if I connect something else to the power lines (keyboard, floppy) it becomes unstable:

-TF530 and only mouse connected to the main board: OK. Runs perfect.
-TF530, mouse and keyboard or floppy connected to main board: boots but some WHDLOAD games fail to load. Memory tests pass OK
-TF530, mouse, keyboard and floppy drive (HxC emu) connected: Green screen.

If you add a CPU relocator board to the mix it all becomes more inestable.

In all tests Im using a TF530 Rev.2, Amiga Rev.6a board and a 350W ATX PSU (that I guess should be enough to power all up).

To me looks like a power related problem. I thought maybe the amiga boards need recap but it would be useful if you (and some other users too) could check if it happens the same on your Rev.6.

Last edited by Black68; 16 September 2017 at 16:53.
Old 16 September 2017, 19:11   #1933
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

i run into a courious situation:
i have tested all my TF accelerators on 8A A500+, and these are working perfect on the used setup (i use 4.5A light version PSU that i have recapped some time ago).

i've sold one of my TF boards, and user who have bought it - reported that the card doesen't boot on his Amiga. He sent this TF back to me (including his adapter and CF Card). his CF Card doesen't boot on my rev.8A A500+ too, so i tought, it is the card that causes issues. I run a game with my CF card and left it on for a couple of hours...my amiga stopped to work on next start giving me a flashing display!?
Then i got another A500 rev.6A and none of my TF cards works on it!?! i have checked every connection, every solder point under the microscope - no shorts, nothing wrong..
Meanwhile have also repaired my A500+ 8A (swapped out defective RAM chip) and here i am: my TF530 Cards are working good on rev.8a but not booting on 6a...I have refunded this buyer for now, as i am unable to supply a working card for him..
will get another 6a soon, however, i am pretty sure there is an easy solution to make it work stable on early rev's, just need to find out what causes tese issues..
Old 16 September 2017, 19:24   #1934
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black68 View Post
a 350W ATX PSU (that I guess should be enough to power all up).
Maybe not.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=304
Old 16 September 2017, 20:51   #1935
Black68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Thanks for the info. I will try to find the original PSU then.
What would be a good aftermarket replacement for the Amiga 500 power brick?

Are these "Retro ATX adaptors" any good?:
https://ianstedman.wordpress.com/201...st-of-designs/

Last edited by Black68; 17 September 2017 at 00:01.
Old 16 September 2017, 22:56   #1936
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Ian is i well known for he's high quality stuff.
I can also point You on something like this:
https://m.reichelt.de/?ARTICLE=14788...xoC8AMQAvD_BwE
Fits perfectly in Amiga PSU, and has 6A on +5V line
If i see it correctly - this PSU will work with 110V (USA) and also with 230V (EU) power sockets

EDIT
i have managed to solve this strange behavoir on 6A boards, it was ROM related, the problem was that i used 150ns eprom chips before.. i have tryed 120ns now, and it works! Jippie

EDIT 2
continue playing with TF530 on rev.6A.. noticed, that if i insert my A501 extension - it kills 2Mb memory onboard on TF530.. leaving this card plugged with jumper removed - gives 0kb of additional memory. Seems that there is Zorro 2 conflict wich is sad, was hoping, it will add 512kb to the 2Mb giving me 2,5Mb. Don't know is there any advantage of - but you can mod this additional memory to chipmem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black68 View Post
-TF530, mouse and keyboard or floppy connected to main board: boots but some WHDLOAD games fail to load. Memory tests pass OK
what error message do You get? if it's autovector interrupt related - You can switch it off

Last edited by 8 Bit Dreams; 17 September 2017 at 00:59.
Old 17 September 2017, 00:42   #1937
alenppc

Hi I built and tested all of my TF530s on my A500 rev 6A, as it's the only one I have and I have had no problems whatsoever (except for the ones built with ISSI RAM).

Certain brands of CF cards fail; But using SanDisk everything is fine.
Old 17 September 2017, 00:54   #1938
alenppc

Quote:
EDIT 2
continue playing with TF530 on rev.6A.. noticed, that if i insert my A501 extension - it kills 2Mb memory onboard on TF530.. leaving this card plugged with jumper removed - gives 0kb of additional memory. Seems that there is Zorro 2 conflict wich is sad, was hoping, it will add 512kb to the 2Mb giving me 2,5Mb. Don't know is there any advantage of - but you can mod this additional memory to chipmem
I built PeteAU's trapdoor expansion board which, coupled with the Gary adapter gives me now 1 MB Chip and 1.5 MB-slow fast for a total of 4.5 MB.

I also had no problems with a third-party 0.5 MB expansion card. If your TF memory disappears, check for solder bridges and/or refresh the solder on the RAM CPLD or ram chips. The DirtyPCBs boards bend easily and can break things, especially if you plug IDE cables while the board is plugged into the Amiga.
Old 17 September 2017, 01:17   #1939
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
I built PeteAU's trapdoor expansion board which, coupled with the Gary adapter gives me now 1 MB Chip and 1.5 MB-slow fast for a total of 4.5 MB.

I also had no problems with a third-party 0.5 MB expansion card. If your TF memory disappears, check for solder bridges and/or refresh the solder on the RAM CPLD or ram chips. The DirtyPCBs boards bend easily and can break things, especially if you plug IDE cables while the board is plugged into the Amiga.
You don't need any Gary adapter doing this, just change some solder blobs on the board, have done it on my 8A

TF memory (and also expansion mem) dissapears on stock rev.6a if i disable expansion by removing the jumper on it (leaving card plugged)

Any news from Stephen about ISSI ram? He wanted to test these too...
Old 17 September 2017, 02:25   #1940
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_jorgensen View Post
To enable autoboot from IDE on Kickstart 1.3 I have created a ROM image based on scsi.device 43.45. This has been tested using a hacked version of FS-UAE and it works

See https://github.com/KimJorgensen/Amiga-IDE-Boot-Rom.

Now the question is how to incorporate a ROM on the TF530. Would it be possible to connect a serial ROM to the SPI port, or is the CPLD simply too small for that?

Its too small. A little rom would be the best but then I figured it's just as easy to swap the kick 1.3 out