English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 July 2022, 17:59   #161
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I just don't agree with some of the design choices regarding the levels. The presentation is flawless. The controls are fine, but you have to get used to them. I'm sure if you sink your time into the game it gets better and better, but that's luxury I don't really have

The game ist much easier when you jump onto the ememies and pull the joystick/d-pad down down for a Mario like (but with a sword) attack.
Old 19 July 2022, 18:03   #162
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
The game ist much easier when you jump onto the ememies and pull the joystick/d-pad down down for a Mario like (but with a sword) attack.
After I defeated the final boss (for which I had to use that attack) I thought that just maybe it would have helped along the way
Old 22 November 2023, 03:27   #163
tarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Whilst technically Lionheart is the better of the two (Beast), Beast would get my vote for the end result.

As it is, considering it had 4 years potential development skill from the time that Beast got released, it wasn't as good as it could be.
Lionheart was ten thousand times better than almost everything Core or Gremlin released 4 years after Beast. And it was a really good and extremely well designed game, which Beast was not.
Old 22 November 2023, 12:33   #164
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarr View Post
Lionheart was ten thousand times better than almost everything Core or Gremlin released 4 years after Beast. And it was a really good and extremely well designed game, which Beast was not.
For sure, Beast is a very raw game. Lionheart is much more well done, but in the same time, Lionheart is not an horizontal beat em all/up. It's a platform game.
Old 22 November 2023, 12:55   #165
demether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post

I think it's more a rastan attack than mario
Old 22 November 2023, 13:20   #166
huggy70

Can't help myself, i can't manage to play this game longer than 5 minutes before getting seriously bored. I even find the background music really annoying
Old 22 November 2023, 15:27   #167
sittingduck

Quote:
Disagree strongly. In my opinion Premiere is a much more enjoyable platformer than Lionheart. Sure, the background gfx in Lionheart takes my breath away, but other than that I echo huggy70's opinion: I also can't manage to play this game longer than 5 minutes before getting seriously bored.
Old 22 November 2023, 15:36   #168
dreadnought

Speaking of Core, I'd much rather play Wolfchild than Lionheart. Lionheart is just a bit too finicky with the controls and jumping.
Old 22 November 2023, 16:58   #169
lionagony

As it's my namesake I needed to reply. Lionheart is incredible. After trying the demo from The One magazine I needed to have it and remember calling up the shop and bugging them about when it would finally arrive. To me Lionheart and Agony are the quintessential Amiga games and the most beautiful of all 16 bit era creations.
Old 22 November 2023, 19:12   #170
huggy70

Great graphics for sure but to me it feels more like hard work for which I should get paid for :-) I simply cannot enjoy it. I find fire&ice way more enjoyable. Could tinker around with that for hours, real fun with that pseudo physics and gravity.

Last edited by huggy70; 23 November 2023 at 16:31.
Old 22 November 2023, 19:40   #171
freehand

all fur coat and no knickers.
Old 22 November 2023, 21:13   #172
tarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Speaking of Core, I'd much rather play Wolfchild than Lionheart. Lionheart is just a bit too finicky with the controls and jumping.
Just try playing both and then decide. It is not true that Lionheart control's are finicky. Would you say the same about Street Fighter II and its special moves? It's just a skill threshold and the controls are perfect.
Old 22 November 2023, 21:55   #173
dreadnought

Quote:
Just try playing both and then decide.
That's exactly what I did
Quote:
It is not true that Lionheart control's are finicky.
For me they are (and yes, I would say that for me SFII controls also are finicky Which is why I enjoy the likes of IK+/Tekken much, much more).

Admittedly I can get used to them though and my bigger gripe is with the platforming itself. There's just too much of it, it's too difficult, and I think this game would work much better as proper hack'n slash with light platforming elements (a la Black Tiger)

I totally get why many people think Lionheart is a pinnacle of Amiga (whole 16-bit is probably a stretch) achievement, but you should also try to understand why for others it's not (which doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad game of course).
Old 22 November 2023, 22:14   #174
copse

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggy70 View Post
Great graphics for sure but to me it feels more like hard work for which I should get payed for :-) I simply cannot enjoy it. I find fire&ice way more enjoyable. Could tinker around with that for hours, real fun with that pseudo physics and gravity.
Maybe I am in the minority, but I feel that way about most games It's more enjoyable to watch someone play a game on Twitch with other viewers, whether Lionheart or anything else, than to play it myself.
Old 22 November 2023, 22:57   #175
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The gameplay is strong. Great game.
Old 22 November 2023, 23:06   #176
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by copse View Post
Maybe I am in the minority, but I feel that way about most games It's more enjoyable to watch someone play a game on Twitch with other viewers, whether Lionheart or anything else, than to play it myself.
I still enjoy playing games, and so my opinions are mostly formed on how enjoyable they feel to play. I can show appreciation for impressive technical achievements and interesting gameplay ideas, but the idea of watching someone play those games actually holds little appeal to me.

As for Lionheart, I'm pretty sure I've played it briefly, without the manual as originals (especially with that fancy box in any kind of good condition) are so rare, but never really formed a strong opinion either way. It's on my list to put time into if I get some, as I like Switchblade II and find the Turricans to have good gameplay (albeit not as good as they look or sound).

Sorry if this has already been asked, or if everyone knows the answer except for me, but are most Lionheart pirate copies online the amended edition with an improved character run (amended after Amiga Power criticised it in their review)?
Old 23 November 2023, 01:25   #177
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I wasn't under the impression they changed anything
Old 23 November 2023, 07:57   #178
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
I still enjoy playing games, and so my opinions are mostly formed on how enjoyable they feel to play. I can show appreciation for impressive technical achievements and interesting gameplay ideas, but the idea of watching someone play those games actually holds little appeal to me.

As for Lionheart, I'm pretty sure I've played it briefly, without the manual as originals (especially with that fancy box in any kind of good condition) are so rare, but never really formed a strong opinion either way. It's on my list to put time into if I get some, as I like Switchblade II and find the Turricans to have good gameplay (albeit not as good as they look or sound).

Sorry if this has already been asked, or if everyone knows the answer except for me, but are most Lionheart pirate copies online the amended edition with an improved character run (amended after Amiga Power criticised it in their review)?
I need to check the executables.
Old 23 November 2023, 10:46   #179
grond

I played Lionheart a lot back in the day. I got into one of the last levels but then it would always crash in the same place. That was where I stopped playing it. When I tried to play it now, I found the platforming very hard to do. I think it had to do with age and lack of practice and motivation/time to get the necessary practice to perform better. But not having had a CRT in twenty years or more, I also suspect my difficulties with the platforming bits right there in the first level also came from the lag caused by digital display technology. I mean, for those jumps to hit very small platforms you had to adjust your course of flight mid-jump which becomes very hard with a couple of frames of lag. I never cared enough to find a good (and most probably expensive) solution for getting the Amiga signal displayed with good quality and low lag. On the positive side, this allows me to blame display technology for my failure at this game and its finicky controls instead of the decline of my dexterity and reflexes.
Old 23 November 2023, 17:41   #180
Torti-the-Smurf

Lionheart IS the best Action Adventure for Amiga! ;that is a Fact

hehe

Ok Ok, very close to a Turrican II

BUT i would put Lionheart even higher on "the List" because of its multiple difficulty Levels;
with all new Stage Layout Desigs and different Enemy placement.

Even after all these years i did not finish the game on the "LionHard" difficulty setting.

Thats some replay value right there !
The Playability is superbe, especially with a 2 button Joypad.

I love Lionheart