English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 January 2018, 00:57   #1621
jack-3d
kLiker

@nexus: I had one of these Z3i busboard, they are very picky to A1200 mobo revision (1D4 is the best for it), but it's actually not Z3 because Buster is missing. PCI there is a good fake, not sure what Micronik planned with these.

BTW still no luck with search of XPC107A-PX66LB We tried to reheat of the current chip and now card does not start at all. It even blocks entire PCI space (when Sonnet is plugged, Voodoo stops working)
Old 30 January 2018, 01:02   #1622
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-3d View Post
@nexus: I had one of these Z3i busboard, they are very picky to A1200 mobo revision (1D4 is the best for it), but it's actually not Z3 because Buster is missing. PCI there is a good fake, not sure what Micronik planned with these.

BTW still no luck with search of XPC107A-PX66LB We tried to reheat of the current chip and now card does not start at all. It even blocks entire PCI space (when Sonnet is plugged, Voodoo stops working)
Finding that speed is probably going to be a problem. There are a few TSI version on ebay, but at 100MHz speed, which I'm pretty sure doesn't matter. I don't know for certain that they'd work but at this point I'd certainly give it a try.
Old 30 January 2018, 01:24   #1623
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-3d View Post

yes i know about the buster and will see how it works on a Dave Haynie A1200 1D

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.co...uct.aspx?id=13

also you cant reheat so whoever is doing the job for you is doing it wrong and being lazy he should have never tried that he should have done as i said a real rework job that is the proper 100% way trying to reflow it like that might work or not or make it worse either way thats a bs temp fix and fyi poorly skilled will kill the chip in that process by popcorning or damaging and creating shorts with the solder balls used under that die which mates it to that package

sorry for the rant but in that business over the years i have had to fix many shitty jobs by such work by lots of people most were ps3/x360's/laptops oh and the days when everyone was doing the oven trick on 8800gtx's etc

the reason why you cant just "reheat" is heat causes corrosion and there is no way for you to clean and do a proper flux to get rid of that without actually taking the chip off and old solder

so now you MAY need a new chip as he may have damage that 1 to where its unfixable
or just fyi even worse he could have popcorned the sonnet pcb=trash if thats the case and you wouldnt know cause it would be hidden i have had this happen to me when buying broken gpu's on ebay last 10+ years

MPC107 is the only ceramic version
but either way the sonnet pcb is the most important and if it wasnt preheated then the chances of it looking like above is 90%+ same goes for the XPC/TSI-107
i live where its 90%+ humidity if i didnt preheat everything would look like the above pics
and this is all even more true when dealing with lead free solder lol

Last edited by nexus; 30 January 2018 at 05:32.
Old 30 January 2018, 22:13   #1624
Cego

i‘ll get my hands on a mediator 4000Di MKIII pretty soon. Voodoo, Sonnet and Realtek Ethernet cards are ready and waiting for their duty. Will be a standard A4000 PSU sufficient enough to power all these cards? I don’t have any other hardware installed. The A4000 is pretty much in basic configuration. A3640 and a 3,5“ HD. Nothing more.
Old 30 January 2018, 22:25   #1625
Wrangler

Yes, the standard PSU should be enough for that set up. It's when you go beyond a Sonnet that the power trouble starts...
Old 30 January 2018, 23:27   #1626
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
Yes, the standard PSU should be enough for that set up. It's when you go beyond a Sonnet that the power trouble starts...
power trouble really isnt psu either there are plenty of amps to use its just that vrm on mediators and if 1 needed extra amps on the 5v rail they could always use a pico/step down converter to break that 12v in 5v or 3.3v

so on mediators with 3.3v pci have a onboard vrm thats only 3amps at 3.3v those with older 5v pci mediator are using same vrm on the sonnet itself to get the 3.3v both work as sonnet is under that 10watts the rapture with sdram and faster cpus use over 10watts and the fastest versions will be at 30+watts

A3000
+5V @ 17.25A
+12V @ 3.00A
-5V @ 0.2A
-12V @ 0.3A
Note: This system requires a 'tick' circuit which provides a 50/60Hz +/-10% reference signal to the video chipset. Changing motherboard jum
per connect jumper J350 across pins 2-3 to ensure that the machine generates the TICK signal from the VSYNC signal.

Will require a simple linear regulator circuit using a 7905, to generate -5V

A4000
Information taken from A4000 PSU schematics
+5V 10.00A
+12V 4.00A
-12V 0.40A

A4000T
Information taken from A4000T specifications
+5V 25.00A
+12V 10.00A
-5V 0.30A
-12V 0.30A

so depending on what u have depends on what you need to do for any of these ppc cards also like said before not good to max the psu as they are old and all these upgrades will kill them faster why really everyone should either recap or upgrade the psu's in there amigas

also on the above ratings im not 100% sure if those are combined watts or not as most psus will have high amp ratings for each voltage but if many of those rails are used at same time then you lose max amps on each rail

max combined is 90w if using 3.3v/5v rails even though the max is higher for each

also just fyi the lower the voltage the bigger the wire needed to carry the amp load higher the voltage the wire can be smaller for the same watts

Volts*Amps=Watts fyi

Last edited by nexus; 30 January 2018 at 23:54.
Old 31 January 2018, 00:09   #1627
grelbfarlk

As already discussed pages back.

I've never actually seen an A4000 power supply with only 10A on 5V. The most common are the Lite-On 20a on 5V and the Skynet with 18A on 5V.

Liteon

Skynet
Old 31 January 2018, 02:37   #1628
nexus

yeah those look better wonder why ian says the others above either way still enough for 7410 cpus just need to bypass that 3.3v 3amp lt1085 vrm and those with 5v only gonna need to choose other options
Old 02 February 2018, 03:38   #1629
EmbeddedEng

Hello everybody, I run a firm in the USA which handles embedded/industrial computer parts support, and we carry stock of the processor PMC card which has been mentioned in this thread by several people.

Recently I have gotten several inquiries from Amiga hobbyists who found us by searching the board part numbers, so I figured I'd post here.

While we mainly support commercial customers, I'm willing to offer these units at a steep discount to Amiga hobbyists for the time being because we have excess quantity of them available. We are not in a position to provide extensive support to hobbyists due to other responsibilities to commercial customers, but I do have reference manuals for the board.

We are called Embedded Engineering and can be found at embeddedsales.com

Board specs are as follows:
MPC7410 @ 450Mhz
XPC/MPC107 PCI bridge/memory controller
1MB L2 cache (CY7C1347D 128Kx36 x 2 chips, 166mhz rated version)
256MB of SDRAM (4 x K4S511632D 512Mbit + 1 x K4S560832 256Mbit, 7.5ns)
No on-board flash. Some versions of this board had it, but this one was designed as a coprocessor and does not.

Also, the processor heatsink on these boards is epoxied on with a special thermal epoxy and I strongly
recommend you do not attempt to remove it, or you may risk damage to the processor or PCB.

-Chris

Old 02 February 2018, 05:24   #1630
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbeddedEng View Post
Hello everybody, I run a firm in the USA which handles embedded/industrial computer parts support, and we carry stock of the processor PMC card which has been mentioned in this thread by several people.

Recently I have gotten several inquiries from Amiga hobbyists who found us by searching the board part numbers, so I figured I'd post here.

While we mainly support commercial customers, I'm willing to offer these units at a steep discount to Amiga hobbyists for the time being because we have excess quantity of them available. We are not in a position to provide extensive support to hobbyists due to other responsibilities to commercial customers, but I do have reference manuals for the board.

We are called Embedded Engineering and can be found at embeddedsales.com

Board specs are as follows:
MPC7410 @ 450Mhz
XPC/MPC107 PCI bridge/memory controller
1MB L2 cache (CY7C1347D 128Kx36 x 2 chips, 166mhz rated version)
256MB of SDRAM (4 x K4S511632D 512Mbit + 1 x K4S560832 256Mbit, 7.5ns)
No on-board flash. Some versions of this board had it, but this one was designed as a coprocessor and does not.

Also, the processor heatsink on these boards is epoxied on with a special thermal epoxy and I strongly
recommend you do not attempt to remove it, or you may risk damage to the processor or PCB.

-Chris
and whats this steep discount? $100? $200? what about the pmc carriers needed?
Old 02 February 2018, 05:43   #1631
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

If there is a large stick and if this stock goes above a certain price limit I'll pull the driver.
Old 02 February 2018, 05:44   #1632
nexus

also i recommend removing the crap epoxy job its very easy to pop off or you can let it soak in alcohol it will come off easy but for temps it needs to be redone as its not even flush to the cpu die as is

acetone will also work

Last edited by nexus; 02 February 2018 at 08:20.
Old 02 February 2018, 05:58   #1633
nexus

also i want people to remember that we are still working on faster stuff so dont go burning a hole in your wallet yet we are trying to make a faster single card solution the above is gonna cost you rent so know that before committing to extreme embedded hardware prices

im tryin to find the best cost route atm as those who dont have a mediator would need to also factor in that cost which would make this upgrade the same cost of a x5000 in the end which would be ridiculous

and on top of this we still need ways of powering it

Last edited by nexus; 02 February 2018 at 06:07.
Old 02 February 2018, 11:29   #1634
Cego

can somebody please send me the pci.library version 13? elbox‘s page is down! i want to install my sonnet
Old 02 February 2018, 14:15   #1635
Cego

https://sonnet.uguu.waw.pl/jenkins/job/sonnetamiga/ is also down

Where can i get the latest sonnet drivers? the one on aminet is pretty buggy
Old 02 February 2018, 15:50   #1636
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

The driver has been taken down for the moment to prevent sonnet-like price driving regarding the G4 PMC card.

And if the one on Aminet is buggy, the latest won't help either probably.
Old 02 February 2018, 15:57   #1637
Cego

could you at least send me the most recent version? i'd like to give it a try at least.
Btw, it seems that 70ns RAM is installed on the Sonnet. Could this be an issue regarding stability?
Old 02 February 2018, 16:25   #1638
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

PM me where I can send it.

And you need to be more descriptive in what you mean by buggy/unstable
Old 02 February 2018, 17:53   #1639
Cego

The machine just crashes randomly. The screen goes black and the machine reboots instantly. No LED blinking. I changed the RAM Dimms and now it seems to be better but it still crashes sometimes. Maybe i got some faulty ram, when i bought the card. They're also 70ns and AFAIK the Sonnet needs 60ns Dimms.
Old 02 February 2018, 22:46   #1640
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cego View Post
The machine just crashes randomly. The screen goes black and the machine reboots instantly. No LED blinking. I changed the RAM Dimms and now it seems to be better but it still crashes sometimes. Maybe i got some faulty ram, when i bought the card. They're also 70ns and AFAIK the Sonnet needs 60ns Dimms.
Don't know how you have everything set up but I'd direct you to the first time installation guide:
https://github.com/Sakura-IT/SonnetA...allation-guide

Start small with the minimal startup-sequence and try running cyberpi or dnetc from CLI. If that works then try something with GFX. If it all works then try Warp3D.

Some people get cranky if you aren't specific when crashes happen. If it is totally random, totally random when running CPU intensive stuff? Memory intensive stuff? GFX?

I guess my bounty is officially worthless now. So I'll open it up to new stuff:

1) Sheepshaver, working with sound, native CPU, yada, yada.
2) FPSE, I only found out somewhat recently that the source is not open, so some other PSX emulator with JIT and GL acceleration. Closed source and someone is working on it.
3) Take my Retroarch source and figure out the timing issue and make it run well, I have a good handful of engines to test with ready to go. Maybe pointless.
4) GemRB Reserved now.
5) Some other worthwhile open source emulator or "largish project" - clear it with me first.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 04 October 2018 at 03:39.