English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 March 2021, 23:19   #141
skyzoo73

Lionheart is technically the best on Amiga OCS, making the most of every custom chip. The number of colors on the screen is remarkable, the scrolling on the background and the sky with a technique similar to SFII, transparencies for the water, and also translucency effects in various parts. Animated character with many frames, the same for the enemies, some really big and very well colored. The overall design is arcade-level, with variety in the more advanced levels. We add that the character controls himself in a precise way, even if some difficulties remain with the movements and the use of the sword. The audio is something equally great with atmospheric music matched to the levels, in conjunction with good quality sound effects. Not to mention the phenomenal INTRO, the equally beautiful END SEQUENCE (even with two variations). Overall, the pixel art of the entire game is artistically sublime, light years ahead of SoB. The icing on the cake is very playable unlike the Psygnosys masterpiece, which is good. If I had to choose three Amiga games I would put Lionheart in first place, Chaos Engine in second and Hybris in third, not directly for the technical quality itself, but for the pleasure I feel in playing them again today.
Old 21 March 2021, 06:46   #142
Reido

Inspired to play this game cos of this thread, don't know why it's taken me 26 years!!! First impressions, incredible graphics, sound and attention to detail. Fun game too, will try to see this one through!
Old 16 July 2022, 23:39   #143
tarr

Best "Arcade" game on the Amiga ever!
Old 17 July 2022, 13:20   #144
eXeler0

Lionheart:the most wronged Amiga game ever

I also missed it back in the day (as in didnt play but was aware of it through reviews in mags etc).
Agreed, it looks amazing, good animation, in short, top notch, but for me personally, the style of gameplay you get from this type of plattformer never really appealed *that* much. There are a few other great looking games I never got into for the same reason.
Old 17 July 2022, 16:45   #145
Torti-the-Smurf

One of my favorite Amiga games
Old 17 July 2022, 22:15   #146
pipper

I also find the graphics, sound and ambience stunning. But the way he swings his sword (without having range) and “hops” on top of enemies somehow rubs me the wrong way. It doesn’t have a lot of heft in it. A long(er) range weapon would have been nice.
Old 17 July 2022, 22:28   #147
dreadnought

I'm somewhere between exelor & pipper's opinions. Overall I'd like it much more, gameplay wise, if they a) eased up the precision jumping b) made the swordplay a bit more punchy and straightforward.
Old 18 July 2022, 11:13   #148
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

It's still super playable, though.
Much more than a lot of other Amiga games.
Old 18 July 2022, 11:35   #149
Torti-the-Smurf

It plays like a dream. Recommend a 2 button Joypad
(i personally use a 2nd generation 3 Button Sega Mega Drive Joypad; the best pad there is)

Manfred Trenz (the father of Turrican) did alot of testplaying on Lionheart.
I think i have finished the game like at least 50 times or more i love it.
(still have to finish it on LIONHARD tho )

Unlike any other Amiga or Console game i know, every Difficulty setting changes also the Level architecture.

Lionheart is for me the best Action plattformer there is on Amiga. (and i love Turrican like carzy)

MY Amiga list for best Amiga Action platformer would go out to LIONHEART and then, Turrican 2 !

But thats just me

I adore this game
Old 18 July 2022, 12:41   #150
grond

I didn't know Lionheart can be realistically finished. I think I had a cheat that gave me infinite lives or so and got pretty far (it still is a question of time) but the game crashed somewhere so I gave up.
Old 18 July 2022, 14:13   #151
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Haven't played this in a long while, but I remember/think that I finished this once (using a trainer mind you ). Might check later which trained version works all the way.
Old 18 July 2022, 14:43   #152
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
I didn't know Lionheart can be realistically finished. I think I had a cheat that gave me infinite lives or so and got pretty far (it still is a question of time) but the game crashed somewhere so I gave up.
Sounds like a faulty disk to me, I had a couple of those. I can still remember jumping a hole through the roof when I finally, finally, finally beat the boss of world 2 in Metal Mutant (legit!), went down to the third underground world aaaaaaand it crashed.

Still don't really know why I continue to like Metal Mutant. It is so stiff to play but it is also nice and oddball.
Old 18 July 2022, 15:18   #153
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Sounds like a faulty disk to me, I had a couple of those.
All of my disks were faulty back in the day...
Old 18 July 2022, 16:39   #154
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just finished the game and... holy hell even with a trainer and save states it's still a very rough ride. It sure looks nice and the music sounds good, but there are a lot of spots that you will get hurt if you don't know what's coming. Or you need to have split second reactions which are then hindered by the less than ideal controls. Well, at least I played it again to remind myself why I don't play it very often
Old 18 July 2022, 16:42   #155
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Just finished the game and... holy hell even with a trainer and save states it's still a very rough ride. It sure looks nice and the music sounds good, but there are a lot of spots that you will get hurt if you don't know what's coming. Or you need to have split second reactions which are then hindered by the less than ideal controls. Well, at least I played it again to remind myself why I don't play it very often
I finish the game without trainer in easy and hard mode :P
Old 18 July 2022, 16:53   #156
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I finish the game without trainer in easy and hard mode :P
I'm sure you do.
Old 18 July 2022, 17:06   #157
grond

I tried Lionheart again some time ago and found it very difficult even in the first level which didn't pose much of a problem back in the day. Of course, I play much less computer games than I used to and even less with joystick or similar controls which certainly forms part of the reason. However, I wonder how much a rigid and unergonomic joystick (Competition Pro with microswitches vs. Quickshot 2 back in the day) and added screen lag with the flat panel TV I am now using have to do with me being that bad at the game.
Old 18 July 2022, 18:12   #158
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
I'm sure you do.
I love it so much. everything is well made in this game.
Old 18 July 2022, 18:25   #159
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
I love it so much. everything is well made in this game.
I just don't agree with some of the design choices regarding the levels. The presentation is flawless. The controls are fine, but you have to get used to them. I'm sure if you sink your time into the game it gets better and better, but that's luxury I don't really have
Old 18 July 2022, 21:59   #160
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
I just don't agree with some of the design choices regarding the levels. The presentation is flawless. The controls are fine, but you have to get used to them. I'm sure if you sink your time into the game it gets better and better, but that's luxury I don't really have
I finished the game 3 days after buying it in easy mode. Hard mode was then straight forward.