English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 March 2011, 22:50   #121
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
Novacoder... have you updated the new version to aminet?

http://aminet.net/package/game/misc/ScummVM_AGA_030

It's the new 1.2.1 version...

I need to update too much things in my Amiga and I'll try for sure this great app!
Hiya,

Yes it's the basically the same optimized version that was used in this [ Show youtube player ]

Just make sure you run with MIDI emulation disabled (see the readme for more details) and that you set your audio playback rate down to 8k if you have an 030. It's possible that MIDI emulation may work on some games if you have a dedicated sound-card but it probably won't work with Paula.

In the future I plan on porting a less CPU intensive MIDI emulator which should help.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 26 March 2011 at 03:21.
Old 27 March 2011, 22:58   #122
desiv

Well, I'm finally going to get around to testing this on my ACA1230/28..
I know, it will probably be a bit slow.. ;-)
Figured I'd start with Full Throttle to really push the hardware..
Also, I own that one on the PC. However, we moved a few years ago and I haven't unpacked my PC games, so I figured I'd just DL it.. Found it.. It's been going for 2 hours and says it has an hour to go.. ;-(
I should have just dug out my boxes and found my CD.. ;-)
Oh well, I'll let you know how/if it runs...
(Maybe not tonight tho.. Wow.. uncompressing the almost 300M zip to my Amiga is taking forever!!!! :-)

desiv
p.s. So, would a MIDI interface to a MIDI keyboard help performance? Supported?
Not sure why I ask, as I don't have a MIDI interface.. ;-)
---------------------

OK, the game is running now.. The sound and animation plays, although it is, as expected, fairly jerky. Especially the animation frames...
When I get to the game play (point and click) part, the movement is pretty good..
One weird thing tho, the voices aren't speaking. While I could hear them during the intro (Ripburger, you're dumber than dirt! :-), when in the game, I can't hear them talking.. But I do hear other sounds..
I can hear the background music, the sound when he punches out of the dumpster, the sound of him walking around.
Just no voices when he reads things or when he should be saying "I'm not putting my lips on that" (Yes, I remember. I love this game) or when he's talking to the bartender...

I'm not very familiar with AHI.. It was set for 8-bit FAST mono. I changed it to 8-bit FAST stereo and hit save. Restarted the game. Didn't seem to make much of a difference in performance actually..
I am starting it with '"Scummvm AGA" -enull' (I read somewhere to try disabling MIDI and wasn't sure if that would do it..)..
I'll try some more things..
Also, since I DLd these files instead of pulling them from my CD, it could be them.. I'll have to find my boxes with my CDs..

Also, I know you know this, but the game interface to launch is really really slow. ;-) I used that to set up the game in the first place and that was painful. Using '"Scummvm AGA" -enull ft' so I can skip that..

Oh, and the last 2 times I've hit F5 and chosen quit, it quits to WB, and then GURUs...

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 28 March 2011 at 03:14.
Old 28 March 2011, 03:50   #123
NovaCoder

Hiya,

Yep a 28Mhz 030 will struggle to play this I'm afraid, esp. the GUI which is actually generated in 65,000 colors and converted to AGA 256 colors in real-time (ie it's slow).

If you look at the readme you can see there are options for enabling an audio requester at statup which will allow you to verify which AHI driver it's using. You should also try the audio playback rate right down to 8k.

I take it you are using v1.2.1?
Old 28 March 2011, 03:56   #124
desiv

Yep, 1.2.1.. I'll try the requester..
That GUI uses 65K colors? I thought it was 16. ;-)

I'm impressed so far... With the text on, the basic game is playable, although slow.

The more I'm poking at this, the more I think that the version I DLd didn't have in-game voice or it got corrupt, as all the other sound works...

Don't know why I didn't think about it sooner. Going to install ScummVM on the laptop and try with the same files to see if I get voice there..
Nope, plays the voices there. So, either a file got corrupted on the unzip, or this version on my slower 030 doesn't play the voices, just the sound effects.

desiv

Last edited by desiv; 28 March 2011 at 04:46.
Old 28 March 2011, 18:49   #125
Ebster

forgive me as i am a scummvm newbie and start this post with NO idea about its usage...

i have tried to boot simon2 off the files that come with the amiga-cd-version. i am using the aca1230/56. pal lowres and paula 8bit mono at 8000hz. first of all i also found scummvm to be very slow in general use. then i could not choose the exact directory for the game files. it would just let me choose dh0: dh1: and so on. no subdirs. so i copied the simon2 files to dh0: and the game at least seemed to be recognized by scummvm. i did not change any settings and directly started simon2 - with no luck, just a black screen.

is there something special about simon2?

will the dead slow scummvm become faster, once it doesn't downcalculate to 256 colors anymore when a game is started?

how do i get to the subdirs when trying to add a game?

best regards!
Old 28 March 2011, 19:27   #126
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster View Post
how do i get to the subdirs when trying to add a game?
That one I know.

"Enter"

Click on the Directory, and then hit "Enter" and it will go there.
Took me a while to figure that out.. ;-)

desiv
Old 28 March 2011, 21:00   #127
Ebster

thanks, good to know :-)
Old 16 April 2011, 13:55   #128
NovaCoder

Latest version of ScummVM AGA (v1.2.1.003) uploaded to the Zone for testing, if nobody complains I'll upload it to AmiNet in the next week or so.

Changes for this version:

1) Added support for Beneath a Steel Sky
2) Improved the speed of the launcher GUI (should now allow you to double-click to launch a game)
3) Improved the game speed
4) Made it look nice
3) ETC
Old 16 April 2011, 16:29   #129
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Great Novacoder, I will try it. But I've got a simple question:
When will you try it in your real Amiga/ACA56? Or have you already done it?

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 April 2011 at 10:40.
Old 20 April 2011, 09:18   #130
Newcomer

Hello Nova,

ive already written an email to you but today i found this thread and maybe you see this earlier, dont know

Ive got a liitle problem: 1.2.0 worked fine so far for me but it was a bit slow - now ive downloaded the 1.2.1 one or two weeks ago and it wont start at all

My system is a 3.1-wb on an standard aga 030!

When I want to start Scumm nothing happens, no screen to choose res or sound, simply nothin! When I open error.log i can read "no palettefile found"!

Can u or someone other pls tell me what to do? What is that for a palette-file and where can I find it, what does this message mean?

Or is this already fixed in new .003 from 04/16 youve uploaded?

Old 20 April 2011, 11:07   #131
NovaCoder

Hiya,

There should be a palette file called 'overlay.pal' in the root directory

Anyway, wait for the next AmiNet release (due in a few days), it will be much better than that old version
Old 21 April 2011, 16:12   #132
NovaCoder

Ok I've just released v1.2.1.004 to AmiNet....this is finally a version I'm happy with

Last edited by NovaCoder; 21 April 2011 at 16:19.
Old 21 April 2011, 16:16   #133
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Ok I've just release v1.2.1.004 to AmiNet....this is finally a version I'm happy with
Awesome stuff mate, I really wish I'd found more time to test these out for you but with my head burried in hardware builds...

Anyway really is a great contribution to the community, I've not had a chance to look at the ECS version yet but look forward to using it with my ACA630 and IndiECS

Keep up the great work.

Steve.
Old 22 April 2011, 13:46   #134
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hey Novacoder, this time it works in a ACA/56... slowly, but it works. I think we can't ask for more with a 030. The game works a little better than the introduction, as the music stops it. If you want I can show you a video.

EDIT: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 22 April 2011 at 17:24.
Old 23 April 2011, 00:34   #135
derLegoMann
Zone Friend

Hi!

I have tested newest Scumm Version on my 1230 AGA System.

Simon the Sorcerer 1 + 2 and Sam and Max works great.

Thanks for that great program.

greets
derLegoMann
Old 23 April 2011, 02:02   #136
NovaCoder

Cool, glad people are having fun with their Amiga's
Old 23 April 2011, 04:15   #137
magnetic
Banned

Nova great updates! Can I run the pc version of Monkey island 1 or 2 or 3 on my amiga 030@40mhz 32mb (its an apollo so almost as fast as blizz 50mhz)
Old 27 April 2011, 01:21   #138
laffer
Zone Friend

I saw a video where some guy had hooked up his MT-32 to his Amiga and some Sierra games actually takes advantage of that, on the Amiga!

So that made me wonder - if you have an MT-32 hooked up to your Amiga, can you select MT-32 sound in the Amiga port of ScummVM?
Old 27 April 2011, 01:30   #139
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
So that made me wonder - if you have an MT-32 hooked up to your Amiga, can you select MT-32 sound in the Amiga port of ScummVM?
Hiya,

While technically possible, I've haven't bothered to write the code to support it because not many people have this kind of setup.
Old 27 April 2011, 01:49   #140
laffer
Zone Friend

Yeah that's a very good point, you could probably count the amount of people with an MT-32 for Amiga setup on just a couple of hands.

Still, I think it would be an awesome feature... it would actually make it useful to own an MT-32 for Amiga.