English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 27 January 2016, 13:00   #121
drhex

You're right that the handtuned version would be much more complex to handle. But it should be doable. The idea was to go "all in" for speed. The various routines could be auto-generated from code based on an analysis of what the song to be played needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
You're also taking the risk of having sound distortion. If you change the replay freq, you have to do it exactly at the same time you start the new buffer. So you're dependent on cpu speed and dma speed.
Ok, but wouldn't the general version have that problem as well?
Old 27 January 2016, 13:11   #122
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhex View Post
You're right that the handtuned version would be much more complex to handle. But it should be doable. The idea was to go "all in" for speed. The various routines could be auto-generated from code based on an analysis of what the song to be played needs.
If it should be doable, just do it. Else for me it'll remain a simple, nice, wrong theory.

Quote:
Ok, but wouldn't the general version have that problem as well?
Not with normal mixing code, no.
Old 27 January 2016, 13:45   #123
drhex

Quote:
Not with normal mixing code, no.
Well, unless you want to waste cpu cycles by advancing at fractional rates for both virtual voices, you need to change the hardware playback frequency every now and then, even with normal mixing code.

An interrupt is generated when a prepared and latched buffer starts playing, so I suppose it would be ok to change hardware frequency when that interrupt occurs. If the code keeps track of what's in the buffer that is due to be played next, and starts a new buffer everytime there's a switch from one note to the next, then frequency changes should be in sync with the sample data.
I don't see why such a strategy whouldn't work for audio data mixed by handtuned code sections as well. I am assuming then, that those are written so that they can generate a given number of output bytes (not just a multiple of what the inner loop generates)

Last edited by drhex; 27 January 2016 at 13:52.
Old 27 January 2016, 14:14   #124
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Well, unless you want to waste cpu cycles by advancing at fractional rates for both virtual voices, you need to change the hardware playback frequency every now and then, even with normal mixing code.
Of course there is an add/addx pair for each voice. So no playback frequency change - which wouldn't be good for quality anyway, f.e. playing 5khz at 6khz probably gives ugly results.

Quote:
An interrupt is generated when a prepared and latched buffer starts playing, so I suppose it would be ok to change hardware frequency when that interrupt occurs.
If your interrupt gets delayed for whatever reason, a few samples may eventually be played at the wrong freq. Same if the interrupt occurs when samples have been fetched by the dma but have not been output yet.

Taking as granted that the audio interrupt will come at exactly the right time, is usually a big mistake.

Quote:
If the code keeps track of what's in the buffer that is due to be played next, and starts a new buffer everytime there's a switch from one note to the next, then frequency changes should be in sync with the sample data.
I don't see why such a strategy whouldn't work for audio data mixed by handtuned code sections as well. I am assuming then, that those are written so that they can generate a given number of output bytes (not just a multiple of what the inner loop generates)
Again, that's just theory. Why not writing the code instead of talking ?
The only way you can prove me that it can work is by actually doing it.
Old 27 January 2016, 14:45   #125
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Again, that's just theory. Why not writing the code instead of talking ?
The only way you can prove me that it can work is by actually doing it.
Having a different opinion about a problem does not mean trying to prove you wrong. That is a surprising angle on an otherwise completely theoretical discussion.

Having an interest in the topic does not imply code must follow.

Imagine we are all around a few beers in a pub. No computers, no coding possible, just figuring out what could be done and nothing else.
Old 27 January 2016, 14:51   #126
drhex

Quote:
Of course there is an add/addx pair for each voice.
Aha! Well, then I understand why hardware frequency playback changes will not be an issue.

The trick of sequencing a suitable number of reads from (a1)+ or (a1) (or alternatively inserting extra addq #1,a1 once in a while) can of course be applied to a0 (the other virtual voice) as well, so that a constant hardware playback rate can be used, if one is worried about interrupts that rank higher than audio.
Old 27 January 2016, 15:02   #127
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Having a different opinion about a problem does not mean trying to prove you wrong. That is a surprising angle on an otherwise completely theoretical discussion.
I'm tired about completely theoretical discussions. That's talk, talk, and talk again, without producing anything useful.

Quote:
Having an interest in the topic does not imply code must follow.
There it's not just "having an interest".

Quote:
Imagine we are all around a few beers in a pub. No computers, no coding possible, just figuring out what could be done and nothing else.
What's imagined under this kind of circumstances usually doesn't work

Quote:
The trick of sequencing a suitable number of reads from (a1)+ or (a1) (or alternatively inserting extra addq #1,a1 once in a while) can of course be applied to a0 (the other virtual voice) as well, so that a constant hardware playback rate can be used, if one is worried about interrupts that rank higher than audio.
Can you imagine the number of combinations this would give, even for a very limited frequency choice ?
Old 27 January 2016, 15:12   #128
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
I'm tired about completely theoretical discussions. That's talk, talk, and talk again, without producing anything useful.
Well, that is your angle then, but why should it be ours? I did not sign any coding obligation when posting my first message on this thread.

Also, this is a generalization, I see plenty of people coding on the EAB.

Quote:
What's imagined under this kind of circumstances usually doesn't work
True enough.
Waiter! Swap these beers with lemonade please!
Old 27 January 2016, 19:58   #129
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Well, that is your angle then, but why should it be ours? I did not sign any coding obligation when posting my first message on this thread.
Perhaps you did not sign any coding obligation, but then, you shouldn't be doing anything in the "Coders" sub-forum

So either this thread gets moved elsewhere, or it remains about coding and not pure theory.
Old 27 January 2016, 20:02   #130
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

how about...

on loading the mod, we downsample all the samples and interpolate them.

Resampling on the fly could be achieved with look-up tables, and 32 bit masks. We have something like this:

Code:
; first get A0 and D3 from a look up table based on the note to play
  move.l (A0)+,D0
  moveq.l #31,D1
.loop
  lsl.l D0
  addx.w D3,D2
  move.b (A1,D2),D7
  add.b D7,(A6)+
  dbra D1,.loop
Old 27 January 2016, 20:10   #131
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
how about...

on loading the mod, we downsample all the samples and interpolate them.

Resampling on the fly could be achieved with look-up tables, and 32 bit masks. We have something like this:

Code:
; first get A0 and D3 from a look up table based on the note to play
  move.l (A0)+,D0
  moveq.l #31,D1
.loop
  lsl.l D0
  addx.w D3,D2
  move.b (A1,D2),D7
  add.b D7,(A6)+
  dbra D1,.loop
That's the same timing as regular add+addx, isn't it ?
Old 27 January 2016, 20:13   #132
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

not exactly, no... you fill the bit mask as per bresenham, so you can get more accurate period tables this way, and uses only 3 data registers rather than 4.

Edit: so can fit two resamplings in same loop:
Code:
  move.l (A0)+,D0
  move.l (A1)+,D1

moveq.l #31,D6
.loop
  lsl.l D0
  addx.w D4,D2
  move.b (A2,D2),D7

lsl.l D1
  addx.w D5,D3
  add.b (A3,D3),D7
  move.b D7,(A6)+
  dbra D6,.loop
Edit2: and also these registers D4, D5 in above example are likely to have limited range 0...7 or so, so could hard code a few different loops for each case.
Edit3: and can also use longword sample indexes D2 & D3.

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 27 January 2016 at 20:26.
Old 27 January 2016, 20:20   #133
pandy71

Quote:
So no playback frequency change - which wouldn't be good for quality anyway, f.e. playing 5khz at 6khz probably gives ugly results.
Trying to not misunderstand you - are you able explain this example - i see nothing wrong to play signal sampled with 5kHz at 6kHz sample rate.
Old 27 January 2016, 20:30   #134
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
not exactly, no... you fill the bit mask as per bresenham, so you can get more accurate period tables this way, and uses only 3 data registers rather than 4.

Edit: so can fit two resamplings in same loop:
I don't see any difference in accurary, and speedwise it remains the same.

For grabbing data regs there are other ways, like this :
Code:
 add.w a0,d1
 addx.w d2,d3
 add.w a1,d4
 addx.w d5,d6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy71 View Post
Trying to not misunderstand you - are you able explain this example - i see nothing wrong to play signal sampled with 5kHz at 6kHz sample rate.
This is upsampling, not just playing at a different freq.
Isn't there more distortion when you upsample 5khz to 6khz, in comparison to something like 5khz to 15khz ?
Old 27 January 2016, 20:34   #135
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
I don't see any difference in accurary, and speedwise it remains the same.
Paula works by incrementing a counter, the sample pointer is incremented when it reaches a user specified value (the period), the addx method adds a user specified value to a counter that increments the sample pointer when it overflows. It is not possible (in general) to exactly match the result of one with the other.

Using a Bresenham-like approach however, Paula's frequency tables could be matched exactly.
Old 27 January 2016, 23:49   #136
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Perhaps you did not sign any coding obligation, but then, you shouldn't be doing anything in the "Coders" sub-forum

So either this thread gets moved elsewhere, or it remains about coding and not pure theory.
So, so every discussion in the coders sub forum is followed by corresponding code and there is a dedicated "coding idea but no code please" forum?

Drhex has a different hunch than you do, he might be wrong but who cares? Given enough counter arguments he or you will eventually see the light.

Arguing that the matter needs to be settled by code make it sound like a western duel to death at sunset.
Old 28 January 2016, 09:12   #137
pandy71

Quote:
Paula works by incrementing a counter, the sample pointer is incremented when it reaches a user specified value (the period), the addx method adds a user specified value to a counter that increments the sample pointer when it overflows. It is not possible (in general) to exactly match the result of one with the other.

Using a Bresenham-like approach however, Paula's frequency tables could be matched exactly.
Now i don't understand this example... perhaps it will be easier to use well known mathematical apparatus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_frequency , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normali...ncy_%28unit%29 .

With above example it looks more like DDS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_digital_synthesizer than Wavetable http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table-lookup_synthesis but not sure if this can work with CPU (i feel that jitter may be outcome of this so copper should be used instead CPU).
Old 28 January 2016, 11:32   #138
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Pretty much unimportant, as the difference isn't hearable.

Quote:
And what would this buy you ?
No quality gain (difference not hearable).
No speed gain (as i've shown).

Quote:
So, so every discussion in the coders sub forum is followed by corresponding code and there is a dedicated "coding idea but no code please" forum?
If i understand well, it's just forbidden for me to merely ask someone to try his idea with real code, in order to see by himself why it can't work ?

Quote:
Drhex has a different hunch than you do, he might be wrong but who cares? Given enough counter arguments he or you will eventually see the light.
I've never seen many people actually see the light when given enough counter arguments.
I have given arguments at many places, and they usually get ignored when the other guy can't counter them.
For example, what has Drhex to say for the fact there are too many combinations of possible code even for a very limited set of possible frequencies ? Nothing. I didn't get any reply. And this, because he has no clear idea of what he is talking about.

Quote:
Arguing that the matter needs to be settled by code make it sound like a western duel to death at sunset.
Not exactly. One can prove that something works by actually doing it ; but a proof that it can't work can't be done.
This is why i ask for code.
Old 28 January 2016, 13:21   #139
drhex

Quote:
For example, what has Drhex to say for the fact there are too many combinations of possible code even for a very limited set of possible frequencies ? Nothing. I didn't get any reply. And this, because he has no clear idea of what he is talking about.
I did not consider that it might use upp too much memory to store all the required mixing routines. Spolied with too many GB of ram nowadays.
But with 200kb dedicated and, say 200 bytes per routine, there could be 1000 of them. If you skip disc activity and receiving of serial data while playing (whose interrupts have priority over audio) the occational sample played at wrong period shouldn't cause more noise than is already caused by non-interpolation, and so the hardware can control the frequency of one of the virtual voices.
With every instrument sampled once per octave, there will only be 12 possible playback frequencies, 12*12/2 = less than a hundred mixing routines required.
Old 28 January 2016, 13:46   #140
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I did not consider that it might use upp too much memory to store all the required mixing routines. Spolied with too many GB of ram nowadays.
But with 200kb dedicated and, say 200 bytes per routine, there could be 1000 of them. If you skip disc activity and receiving of serial data while playing (whose interrupts have priority over audio) the occational sample played at wrong period shouldn't cause more noise than is already caused by non-interpolation, and so the hardware can control the frequency of one of the virtual voices.
With every instrument sampled once per octave, there will only be 12 possible playback frequencies, 12*12/2 = less than a hundred mixing routines required.
That's still many routines to write and a small choice of possible frequencies (which forbids any effect such as portamento).

Amiga periods for a soundtracker look like this :
$0358,$0328,$02fa,$02d0,$02a6,$0280,$025c,$023a,$021a,$01fc,$01e0,$01c5

As you see, nothing like a simple 0.8 ratio.

What will your mixing code look like for e.g. two notes played at a period of $358 for one and $328 for the other ?
If you're just skipping pointer updates like in your 0.8 cases, then most routines can eventually end up a lot larger than the expected 200 bytes...

You could perhaps sample for every 12 possible notes ; then the mixing code only has to deal with 2^n ratios (it'll do the octave changes). But you'll very soon be out of mem...

Last question : is a 8ch effectless music taking lots of cpu and huge memory buffers any better than a 4ch music using full set of fx and taking only a small memory footprint with virtually no cpu time ?