English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 August 2007, 23:54   #121
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
since we are talking about amiga hardware.... i guess you could do that on an Amiga NES emulator.

try not being so rubbish at games, and you wont be needing to cheat!

you software mincers!
well you are a faggot, because this point i made about save states, hacked and translated roms, and of stuff on console emus is valid and does belong in this thread beacaise we have discussed other platforms in this thread.
Also, no matter how good a games is, there are many games that were coded in a way that can only be described as criminally unfair.
I have seem many hardware nuts use similar sentiments about "real thing" bullshit in console forums
as used here. And these are mostly useless when trying to counter these points I a making

This post is being done on an iPhone.
Old 20 August 2007, 02:23   #122
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

sorry fred, i think you left your handbag behind....

and maybe your stress pills too....

Quote:
I have seem many hardware nuts use similar sentiments about "real thing" bullshit in console forums
as i said, show me the software being as accurate, (i mentioned before that midi controlling music compostion is near-impossible with winuae) and i will say that it's as good as the real thing. It's a fact that atm, it isnt.
Old 20 August 2007, 05:32   #123
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:

as i said, show me the software being as accurate, (i mentioned before that midi controlling music compostion is near-impossible with winuae) and i will say that it's as good as the real thing. It's a fact that atm, it isnt.
Some people are never satisfied.
Stick to your endangered hardware.
Old 20 August 2007, 07:26   #124
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
well you are a faggot...

...This post is being done on an iPhone.
hehe, thats like the pot calling the kettle black or something.
Old 20 August 2007, 07:43   #125
Ironclaw
Banned

WinUAE for teh win BABY!!!
Old 20 August 2007, 10:40   #126
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
hehe, thats like the pot calling the kettle black or something.

Oh yeah , you are anti Apple. Well, there are people out there who hate Mercedes, Rolex, Greta Garbo and other epitomes of the best for no logical reason. An illness, really.
Old 20 August 2007, 11:09   #127
Paul_s

Quote:
This post is being done on an iPhone.
well that just put a spanner in the works you STeve Jobs fan duck
Old 20 August 2007, 13:54   #128
Madcrow

Quote:

Well that depends on a number of factors. For realtime control purposes (aka your MIDI work) emulation is not as good as the real thing. For many other things (demo-watching, 3D rendering, even some gaming) emulation IS supierior in many practical ways (though real hardware may well still have an edge in terms of "feel"
Old 20 August 2007, 20:03   #129
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
Well that depends on a number of factors. For realtime control purposes (aka your MIDI work) emulation is not as good as the real thing. For many other things (demo-watching, 3D rendering, even some gaming) emulation IS supierior in many practical ways (though real hardware may well still have an edge in terms of "feel"
i have never denied this!

i have freely admitted that i love emulation, and find it incredible useful and satisfactory for many purposes.... i've merely made the point that hardware (for me) is greater becasue of the accuracy. (maybe that makes me a purist at heart, i dunno) - i dont actually see it as being as easy as "which is better" myself - i think this is a somewhat narrow view to assume its that simple.

this is why i am confused by comments like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
Stick to your endangered hardware.
...being thrown at me, when i am particularly vocal about my love of both.
Old 22 August 2007, 12:50   #130
amiga

Emulation will always beat "The Real Thing" .
Please, don't try to state the opposite, because it's simply an ABSURDITY!
Old 22 August 2007, 13:44   #131
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
Emulation will always beat "The Real Thing" .
Please, don't try to state the opposite, because it's simply an ABSURDITY!
That's simply not true. For specific purposes (realtime control/MIDI and nostalgia generation being the biggies) real hardware wins hands down. For most other purposes the two solutions are either equal (gaming and demo-viewing) or emulation comes out ahead (productivity software, 3D rendering, coding and compiling stuff)

All solutions have a place and don't try to state the opposite, because it's simply an ABSURDITY!
Old 22 August 2007, 18:12   #132
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
That's simply not true. For specific purposes (realtime control/MIDI and nostalgia generation being the biggies) real hardware wins hands down. For most other purposes the two solutions are either equal (gaming and demo-viewing) or emulation comes out ahead (productivity software, 3D rendering, coding and compiling stuff)

All solutions have a place and don't try to state the opposite, because it's simply an ABSURDITY!
Uh you forgot to include 3 very important factors in the benefit of emulation:

No cost and no clutter and variety.
Besides, eventually all hardware will give out someday. There are less Amigas working now than in 2006. And same will be said next year in regards to this year.
So the resources for the real thing crowd is dwindling and getting costlier all the time.
And if one wanted to utilize different models of the Amiga or Atari 800 or MSX or whatever, one can have say, 20 different models to choose from wrapped up in a laptop, instead of having to buy or get those same 20 models. Cluttering up your home, emptying your wallet.
Old 22 August 2007, 18:41   #133
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Quote:
...No cost and no clutter and variety....So the resources for the real thing crowd is dwindling and getting costlier all the time.
...Cluttering up your home, emptying your wallet.
You are not a real Amigan. Real Amigans are LOADED!
Old 22 August 2007, 18:59   #134
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
You are not a real Amigan. Real Amigans are LOADED!
Must be because of all the money they saved, pirating software back in the day.
Old 22 August 2007, 20:39   #135
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i think its funny that so many people think there is *one* right answer to this.... and the right answer is always their own. everyone who thinks differently is OBVIOUSLY wrong right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Heathen
And if one wanted to utilize different models of the Amiga or Atari 800 or MSX or whatever, one can have say, 20 different models to choose from wrapped up in a laptop, instead of having to buy or get those same 20 models. Cluttering up your home, emptying your wallet.
you are comparing Hardware against Emulation alone, rather than than Amiga hardware vs. Amiga Emulaltion. i dont think thats fair, as Amiga hardware -is- a necessity for certain tasks, where as most other systems are much simpler and are much more easily/accurately emulated.

also, saying that hardware breaks is a rubbish arguement. your laptop running the emualtor will break eventually... what do you do then? replace it of course - i reckon there's enough available in spares/refurb's to last all of our lifetimes.

your obviously not going to change you mind, thats fair enough, you have (mostly) reasonable arguements that i can understand... they suit YOUR requirements. but to just think that the one viewpoint is all that matters seems somewhat blinkered to me.
Old 22 August 2007, 21:56   #136
Paul_s

Think of it another way... Emulation of the Amiga would never have been possible without the hardware in the first place and the brilliance of the people who made WinUAE etc.....

I think both hardware/emulation have their places... I just use both as it's the best of both worlds. No right or wrong answer... whatever makes people happy at the end of the day
Old 22 August 2007, 23:35   #137
Graham Humphrey

Top post Paul, that sums it up perfectly.
Old 23 August 2007, 02:45   #138
oneshotdead

I value my experience of Amiga emulation _negatively_, whereas I value my experience of Amiga hardware so positively as to be a high point in my life.
Old 23 August 2007, 04:21   #139
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshotdead View Post
I value my experience of Amiga emulation _negatively_, whereas I value my experience of Amiga hardware so positively as to be a high point in my life.
You musy have had some bad experiences... Great experiences come through in emulation loud and clear to me...
Old 23 August 2007, 04:50   #140
oneshotdead

That's right Madcrow, my experiences are subjective. The fact that Arkanoid does not work properly bothers me quite a lot, I must say.

Btw, (OT) does anyone here know how to turn off the EXTREMELY ANNOYING "click-sound" that comes through your speakers, rudely invading your MP3, whenever you click a bloody hyperlink/button?

Such things should be off by default, for the love of God!

Edit: Sorry, this is in XP Pro, SP2.