English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 27 June 2015, 10:07   #1361
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, James mate, that case is when you really need that message.

Without AfAOS it is a bit annoying as everytime you create a new drawer it uses an icon from the def icons, so it is a new one and the requester will always ask you about converting the icon if you don't snapshot and/or convert those icons to the 3.5 format.

I have anyway a program in Tools by Thomas Rapp that converts all of the icons to that format, so I can/people can easily avoid that message using that program.

So you've convinced me to maintain the message.

Last edited by Retrofan; 27 June 2015 at 21:36.
Old 27 June 2015, 10:21   #1362
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

The warning is important, if you do not wish to occidentally convert something.
Shame we can't just change the position data.
Old 27 June 2015, 23:54   #1363
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
1) Is it possible to recognize a "NoGhost" tooltype for default icons ? ...
That's a nice idea and it should be possible to implement that.

Quote:
2) It should be a little faster to longword align longword data in the icon.library structure. The library structure is not longword aligned so there could be a small benefit to adding a word of padding after it. For example:

Code:
; $00 $22 struct library <- Warning: size is not a longword multiple!
; $22 $2 word padding <- we are longword aligned after this
; $24 $4 segmentlist
; $28 $4 execbase
I know, but all library structures end at $22 and append there private data below. An alignment for the libbases is usually never done and tweaks like this will not even save a millisecond at runtime. The more important data tables are all longword aligned. My offsets in the upper part are still a leftover from the original library structure.

Quote:
3) How about changing the English requester text from ....
Sorry, but your requester belongs to an old icon.library version. Please install the latest version.
Old 28 June 2015, 00:08   #1364
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Well, I am "colorblind" (I've got daltonism), but I only notice a line in the borders and a couple of pixels. But as I say you can't snapshot those icons with the icon.library mantaining the format, so why do you want that annoying message?

This is a screenshot with the same drawers in both formats:
Of course, you cannot notice any differences when you compare the icons before and after a conversion, because you will always see them already converted with my icon.library. These changes are just done to the icon format when writing the icons back onto the disk.

You have to compare screenshots from AfA_OS or OS4 with those from my library. And the requester is very important for anybody who just sometimes switches the system configuration and wants his TrueColor icons to be untouched.

Quote:
everytime you create a new drawer it uses an icon from the def icons, so it is a new one and the requester will always ask you about converting the icon if you don't snapshot and/or convert those icons to the 3.5 format.
Convert the deficons once and it should not happen again.

@Michael
Quote:
Shame we can't just change the position data.
Some of the PNG icons don't have the position data yet, but even if it already exists it would require to rescan the PNG structure again and recalculate the CRC for the icOn chunk.

Last edited by PeterK; 28 June 2015 at 00:40.
Old 28 June 2015, 00:21   #1365
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
68000 version works O.K but colours are washed out.

Just remembered I used the one from the ADF first, that one works, it's the 020 versions that cause that effect.
Please send some screenshots for the different libraries. Do you use workbench.library v40 or v44+ ? In the latter case put IconGhostingOff into your startup-sequence.
Old 28 June 2015, 02:19   #1366
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
That's a nice idea and it should be possible to implement that.
Cool. Old and other versions of icon.library should nicely ignore any icon tooltypes so it's a friendly way to allow individual icon settings.

Quote:
I know, but all library structures end at $22 and append there private data below. An alignment for the libbases is usually never done and tweaks like this will not even save a millisecond at runtime. The more important data tables are all longword aligned. My offsets in the upper part are still a leftover from the original library structure.
Some libraries do add the alignment padding but many do not. Libraries made for the 16 bit 68000 didn't have any need to which is also why many AmigaOS structures lack optimal alignment and size for a 32 bit CPU. It is a pain to deal with but something to keep in mind when fully optimizing. Of course, a millisecond is a lot of cycles and any savings would be a cycle here and there.

Quote:
Sorry, but your requester belongs to an old icon.library version. Please install the latest version.
I'm using the newest icon.library but looked at an old source. The text is already improved .

Code:
Saving will convert your
TrueColor icons into the
standard OS 3.5 format !
Do you want to do that ?
I still prefer "Continue?", "Save?", "Convert and save?" or "Convert and save over old icon?" over "Do you want to do that?". The "your" word could also be removed as it is not needed. The over use of pronouns like "you", "your" and "that" are generally discouraged in formal English grammar. Another option with both sentences combined:

Code:
Convert TrueColor icons
to standard OS 3.5 format
and save over old icons?
It is not very important and I'm really not an English expert either. There are professional technical writers who could no doubt improve my grammar as well. More choices and opinions can be helpful.
Old 28 June 2015, 04:09   #1367
PeterK

My English is really not the best, I know

What would you think about this:
Quote:
Saving converts TrueColor icons
to the OS 3.5 format. Continue?
Saving won't overwrite the old icons if the destination is different.
Old 28 June 2015, 04:11   #1368
Storm
SYS64738

Nice and simple, says what it has to.
Old 28 June 2015, 05:18   #1369
matthey
Banned

Quote:
My English is really not the best, I know
IMO, your English is better than the average American's English.

Quote:
What would you think about this:

Saving converts TrueColor icons
to the OS 3.5 format. Continue?
Looks very good to me (simple, short and clear).
Old 28 June 2015, 06:22   #1370
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Please send some screenshots for the different libraries. Do you use workbench.library v40 or v44+ ? In the latter case put IconGhostingOff into your startup-sequence.
Pics are back up, post #1358

I use Workbench.library V40.

Excellent library mate Thanks.
Old 28 June 2015, 07:00   #1371
PeterK

Hi Arnie,

this effect should only happen when you change the screenmode under DOpus5 from Hi/TrueColor to 8 bit or less. It's the price for making DOpus5 Hi/TrueColor screens a lot faster by disabling the colormapping and removing the regular planar images.

You can get the icon images back if you reopen the windows and refresh the desktop. As long as you boot into an 8 bit or any AGA mode everything should appear as normally expected.
Old 28 June 2015, 12:36   #1372
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.411:

A new tooltype for DefIcons on WB 3.5+ to disable the IconGhosting. You can now add the tooltype "NoGhost" to particular ENVARC:Sys/def_XXX.info files to avoid the ghosting effect for these icon types. For example you may want to add "NoGhost" to def_RAM.info to make the RAM: icon opaque.
Old 28 June 2015, 21:14   #1373
matthey
Banned

Quote:
A new tooltype for DefIcons on WB 3.5+ to disable the IconGhosting. You can now add the tooltype "NoGhost" to particular ENVARC:Sys/def_XXX.info files to avoid the ghosting effect for these icon types. For example you may want to add "NoGhost" to def_RAM.info to make the RAM: icon opaque.
It is working here although my idea was not as good as I hoped because disk icons don't generally have accessible tooltypes. I had to:

1) change the icon to a type which has tooltypes using IconEdit
2) add the "NoGhost" tooltype
3) change the icon type back to disk using IconEdit

The default icons are in ENVARC:sys where def_ram.info is the ram disk icon I changed. I am using Stephan Rupprecht's env-handler (http://aminet.net/util/sys/envhandler.lha).

IMO, the changes are small but an improvement. Thanks Peter .
Old 28 June 2015, 21:37   #1374
PeterK

Hi matthey,

you don't need to change the icon type (back) to disk. WB can handle that if it's a drawer, tool or project icon. Best is to use a drawer icon to be able to store the window attributes, position and size, too.

I hope that scanning all DefIcons completely for the tooltype "NoGhost" now won't cause a noticable speedloss.

I'm using Envhandler too, but the "NoGhost" tooltype must exist in ENVARC:Sys/def_XXX.info. Only in ENV: didn't work here.

Last edited by PeterK; 28 June 2015 at 21:55.
Old 06 July 2015, 00:56   #1375
trixster
Guru Meditating

Sorry for being dumb but how do get this version of icon.library running on my workbench 3.1 system? Ive a blizzard 1240 so I'm using maprom and BlizKick with BlizKick being use to load a bunch of modules. I have setpatch 43.6. I'm not sure what the instructions in the first few post of this thread mean, especially pertaining to LoadModule etc. Currently my startup-sequence has a C:SetPatch QUIET line in it.
Old 06 July 2015, 01:46   #1376
daxb

You can try to load the icon lib as a module via blizkick. That should work. If not try LoadModule or LoadResident.
Old 06 July 2015, 14:58   #1377
trixster
Guru Meditating

Cool, thanks for the reply.

I've added icon.library into DEVS:Modules and added icon.library into my BlizKick line in startup-sequence. It know reads:

C:BlizKick * EXTRESBUF=50000 MODULE icon.library romfixes SpeedyIDE LocalFast MoveVBR MuMove4k PatchMath020 QUIET

However Scout still reports that icon.library version v 39.3 is still resident

What am I doing wrong?

I have C:Setpatch QUIET

editing this tio C:Setpatch QUIET DISABLEROMMODULES "" just returns an error on boot up.

Last edited by trixster; 06 July 2015 at 15:41.
Old 06 July 2015, 16:20   #1378
trixster
Guru Meditating

Actually I seem to have got the new library working by adding:

C:LoadModule DEVS:Modules/icon.library NOREBOOT

I put this above the C:SetPatch QUIET line

Is this the correct way to go about doing things? SysInfo and Scout now report v 46.4.409 is loaded.
Old 06 July 2015, 18:01   #1379
PeterK

Hi trixster,

please download my IcobDemoADF floppy image from the first post and try it out.

Then compare the startup-sequence with yours on your harddisk and add missing instructions. Of course, you can use the current icon.library and load it either with LoadModule, LoadResident or work with RemLib.
Old 06 July 2015, 19:54   #1380
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Peter there is some rare behaviour with some icons when I copy them from AmiKit for PC to my version -using your library-. It happens for example with Jabberwocky and also with Daywatch in WBStartup/Disabled.

In this last case when you copy the icon on my version it shows even as Tool a "Duff´s hidden message!! .

So I have to change the icon info to change them to Tool instead of project, as that's what happens.

Well, I just have to make that once, but I wanted to tell.