Nova

yeah, that did the trick, thanks!
Old 05 May 2019, 19:13   #1283
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Windows version is also on-line now: http://fs-uae.net/devel/2.9.8dev2/
Old 06 May 2019, 00:06   #1284
Dunny

Just a quick note to ask, for a future version for those of us running FS-UAE as part of the Amilator package - could we please have some method of mounting an ADF stored on the emulated Amiga HDD into the emulated floppy drives? (And eject them).

Having a (very) limited list of available floppy images that have to be changed by a configuration change is rather cumbersome.

An extension to the uae* tools would be nice if possible, if not then being able to browse a folder of ADFs in the F12 menu would also be appreciated.
Old 06 May 2019, 09:53   #1285
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Just a quick note to ask, for a future version for those of us running FS-UAE as part of the Amilator package - could we please have some method of mounting an ADF stored on the emulated Amiga HDD into the emulated floppy drives? (And eject them).

Having a (very) limited list of available floppy images that have to be changed by a configuration change is rather cumbersome.

An extension to the uae* tools would be nice if possible, if not then being able to browse a folder of ADFs in the F12 menu would also be appreciated.
Yes, could be really cool to have such possibility.
Old 06 May 2019, 17:58   #1286
Clark Kent

Yessssss! Finally continuing! Will the next release be based on the latest WinUAE 4.x?

Edit: Can not start it, it just crashes on my MacOS 10.9.5 (can't update for some reasons). Can you make it compatible with 10.9.5 (like SDLMAME)?

Last edited by Clark Kent; 06 May 2019 at 18:32.
Old 06 May 2019, 19:26   #1287
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

ADF browsing is not top priority, maybe later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Yessssss! Finally continuing! Will the next release be based on the latest WinUAE 4.x?
Not yet, there's a lot of code to merge, so that will probably take some time. Also depends on how many issues arise...

Quote:
Edit: Can not start it, it just crashes on my MacOS 10.9.5 (can't update for some reasons). Can you make it compatible with 10.9.5 (like SDLMAME)?
The minimum version is macOS 10.11 now (it basically comes down to the minimum versions of the libraries/tools I use to compile it - in particular, Qt being used for the Launcher).

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 06 May 2019 at 23:00.
Old 06 May 2019, 22:54   #1288
Clark Kent

No support for 10.9.5? I wonder why, most modern apps work. If this stays this way, I'm out, crowed too soon, unfortunately.
Old 07 May 2019, 00:03   #1289
Dunny

Like he said, it's not because FS-UAE is unsupported - it's because huge swathes of the MacOS library space no longer supports your mac, in particular the hugely popular UI toolkit QT.
Old 07 May 2019, 03:04   #1290
MartinW

Just wanted to say that's its really nice to see movement on FS-UAE again. I use Win-UAE now a lot as well but I really look forward to some Amiga updates for my MBPro
Old 07 May 2019, 04:22   #1291
ztronzo

Quote:
No support for 10.9.5? I wonder why, most modern apps work. If this stays this way, I'm out, crowed too soon, unfortunately.
Well... you can't make an omelette, without cracking any eggs! :-)
unfortunately you can't win them all...
Old 07 May 2019, 07:31   #1292
Clark Kent

But I think it's only a compiler thing. What if I ask a programmer who compiles programs for 10.9.5 - would it be possible to send him the source to compile?
Old 07 May 2019, 09:07   #1293
ztronzo

Wink

Quote:
But I think it's only a compiler thing. What if I ask a programmer who compiles programs for 10.9.5 - would it be possible to send him the source to compile?
Frode did mention its the qt compiler dependencies that need to be updated and are not backwards compatible.. unfortunately I am not experienced with Python compiling to disagree with him.. but I understand where he is coming from...
since its open source you can feel free to try
FS-UAE Launcher
https://fs-uae.net/devel/2.9.8dev2/f...9.8dev2.tar.gz
FS-UAE
https://fs-uae.net/devel/2.9.8dev2/f...9.8dev2.tar.gz

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just update your OSX?
Even if its a hackintosh, it may be easier to just update it.

Last edited by ztronzo; 07 May 2019 at 09:22.
Old 07 May 2019, 18:20   #1294
Clark Kent

Thanx for the info! The looks didn't change (I checked it on a different machine) so I wonder why this was necessary?

Nevertheless can't update a well working business machine, wouldn't risk problems only for an emulator, even if it's such a masterpiece as fsuae...
Old 07 May 2019, 22:04   #1295
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I have managed to make the launcher distribution build-able with the official python distribution as well as PyQt and other Python libs from PyPi (this was not an option when I started this project. I also did that for the newly released Windows version). This makes it a bit easier for me in the future (probably), since I now only need to compile a handful of libraries for FS-UAE itself. And I can also now more easily swap PyQt using the pip tool.

To answer a question; why update libraries? Well, the reason for the version bump for this release was that I had upgraded my Xcode toolchain and struggled to compiler older Qt versions. But still, there is a case for using newer libraries: Using a more recent Qt version might make the application work better on newer macOS versions. So, there is a trade-off between supporting newer systems better, and stop supporting older system. At least when using libraries such as Qt - which, when they drop support for older OS versions, is more or less impossible to compile for those systems.

I haven't seen any big difference between Qt 5.8 and 5.12, but I'm also not running on macOS 10.14 yet. One thing I've noticed is that there is less flickering when launching FS-UAE from Arcade (the menu bar is briefly visible when running with Qt 5.8, but not when using Qt 5.12). There is also probably better support for HiDPI monitors in newer versions.

Anyway, these are details. The result is http://fs-uae.net/devel/2.9.8dev3/ (built with Qt 5.8 - should work on macOS 10.9). Please try, and give feedback.

If Qt 5.12 turns out to work better on more recent systems, I will end up using that (bumping the min macOS version to 10.12 actually - I used Qt 5.11 for the 2.9.8dev2 release), but since it looks like I can easily swap versions and rebuild, it does look feasible to release at least stable versions for macOS 10.9+ if there is demand for it.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 07 May 2019 at 22:14.
Old 09 May 2019, 17:14   #1296
Clark Kent

YESSSSS! Works on my 10.9.5 again! Thank you!

The only thing I noticed is that clicking or double-clicking on icons in ClassicWB is not always recognized. Sometimes I have to click several times to open a program or folder. Also clicking and holding the mouse button on the bar for moving the contents of a window does not do anything (holding the left mouse button results on locking the mouse pointer in it's position). Just tried this in the old version 2.9.7 and it behaves normal there. Seems to affect only the mouse button.

Would be very very nice if you could at least build the next major update of FSUAE (with WINUAE 4.x basis) with 10.9.x compatibility. Many thanx!

One question: I already had this in previous versions but the exits in Nebulus II are not visible with FS-UAE. I tried this in WinUAE, no problem there. Is there any special setting for this or a bug in FS-UAE?

Last edited by Clark Kent; 09 May 2019 at 17:22.
Old 09 May 2019, 21:37   #1297
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Would be very very nice if you could at least build the next major update of FSUAE (with WINUAE 4.x basis) with 10.9.x compatibility. Many thanx!
Looks likely at this point!

Quote:
One question: I already had this in previous versions but the exits in Nebulus II are not visible with FS-UAE. I tried this in WinUAE, no problem there. Is there any special setting for this or a bug in FS-UAE?
Please open a new thread with more details about your config, and a screenshot?
Old 09 May 2019, 22:29   #1298
Clark Kent

What do you need exactly? I can make a screenshot of Nebulus 2 - but you do not see the exits, they are simply not visible.

The most bugging thing it the left mouse button at the moment...
Old 10 May 2019, 18:35   #1299
Clark Kent

After ClassicWB booted up, pressing F12 and selecting mouse mode in input settings the problem with the left mouse button is gone. But this has to be done every time after booting at the moment...

This didn't happen with 2.9.7
Old 11 May 2019, 16:36   #1300
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
What do you need exactly? I can make a screenshot of Nebulus 2 - but you do not see the exits, they are simply not visible.
I do not know the game, so screenshots comparing FS-UAE and WinUAE would be nice and possibly save me some time. The config is useful also, to rule out problems due to the configuration.

Quote:
The most bugging thing it the left mouse button at the moment...
Couldn't reproduce on Linux, will try on macOS.