English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 May 2007, 02:47   #101
DamienD
Banned

It's not surprising that you had no Amiga friends TBH... You guys are really young... I had an Amiga 500 and a few "Amiga" friend's but I was born in '76... At the time, aged 12 - 15 the Amiga was really kicking

Grahman, I'm surprised that you even know / use an Amiga... I mean, you are 10 years younger than me and the Amiga was virtually dead by the time I was 16 - 17 years old... You would have been 6 - 7 years old at that time maximum

Most people in your age group would have been PC freaks...
Old 18 May 2007, 02:52   #102
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Most people in your age group would have been PC freaks...
I know some guys in Graham's age group. The most started to play on a SNES or PC, but some on the Amiga too. There were no Amiga, Sega Mega Drive, SNES machines etc when we were 6 or 7, Damien.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 18 May 2007 at 02:58.
Old 18 May 2007, 10:27   #103
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Grahman, I'm surprised that you even know / use an Amiga... I mean, you are 10 years younger than me and the Amiga was virtually dead by the time I was 16 - 17 years old... You would have been 6 - 7 years old at that time maximum
Well, I got an A500+ when I was five, which would have been November '91, (and I even used a Spectrum for a couple of years before that which I vaguely recall) so I got lucky I guess. In many ways it's not a surprise that I didn't know anyone/many people with an Amiga but when I was about 6 or 7 years old certainly a lot of kids in my year group had Mega Drives and SNESs and things, so maybe in some ways it is a surprise I was pretty much on my own. Even through middle and high school I still owned and used an Amiga (amongst other machines); I used to get a bit of stick for that! In fact, a few months back I saw someone I used to go to school with and one of the first things he asked me was "Do you still use your Amiga?"

It does make me feel a bit old sometimes, my brother was born in '90 and a lot of people in his age group haven't heard of the Amiga, and he knows a few people a couple of years younger than him and they weren't even born when I started using an Amiga. God knows how old it makes some of you feel

Oh, and Damien, I've never been called Grahman before.... I must admit I quite like it
Old 18 May 2007, 10:44   #104
seuden
uber cool demi god

I didn't have any friends that were interested or even had an Amiga

It was just my Uncle from whom my mother had bought his A500 off (after he had bought himself an A1200), for me for Christmas, lol and I.

I did have a friend who had an Atari ST, jeez that computer was shit :P
Old 18 May 2007, 11:20   #105
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
Oh, and Damien, I've never been called Grahman before.... I must admit I quite like it
ROFL

Very sorry indeed Graham... Um, as I'm sure you've guessed by now I was pretty drunk last night when posting on EAB. Ooops
Old 18 May 2007, 12:50   #106
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
ROFL

Very sorry indeed Graham... Um, as I'm sure you've guessed by now I was pretty drunk last night when posting on EAB. Ooops
No worries.... Damien? Drunk? Never!

And besides, I've been called far worse.
Old 01 February 2008, 01:53   #107
don27dog

Anyone still have contact with Pot-Noodle or Dave from Burger Bar?
Old 01 February 2008, 03:45   #108
Pyromania

Lots of Greek guys in this thread, very cool!
Old 02 February 2008, 19:56   #109
Paul_s

I used to have 3 or 4 maties who used to come to my house for Amiga playing sessions.

Every Friday after school. This lasted for at least 2 - 3 years I think. One of my mates used to pop up with newly hacked games. I remember playing Road Rash on a copied disk. The Skid Row intro to that was cool with the little globe spinning around to some funky music.

As far as I know one of my ex-gaming buddies works at the local VW dealership - said hello to him but he didn't really want to know when I tried to talk to him. Must've made an impact on him back then

The other two were fairly odd. Saw one of them years ago wearing a black hat like he was out of a western.. funk knows what else has happened to him

Used to go out to the Paper shop each month with them and buy Matchmakers (chocolate minted sticks) and Amiga Power

Dear god how do I remember all that? But I do miss times like that. If anyone is in the Manchester area and wants to pop up each Friday with some matchmakers and a session on the Amiga's give us a shout Bring your own joystick though Women more than welcome
Old 03 February 2008, 09:23   #110
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I have no friends
Old 03 February 2008, 13:24   #111
blade002
Zone Friend

Alright, i am putting some full names out there for Amiga guys i used to know, because i have had shit all luck with aliases. So here goes!

Nigel Kerr - ( Your Amiga buddy from Melbourne )

Guvenc Kakmak - ( You lived just down the street from me )

Paul Demark - ( Met you at Broadmeadows TAFE in 1995 )

If any of you guys read this, CONTACT ME !!!!....

Last edited by blade002; 03 February 2008 at 13:29.
Old 03 February 2008, 13:36   #112
Shoonay
Global Caturator

No offence meant, but those are some funny names there blade, believe me, I'm a birch-tree
Old 03 February 2008, 16:21   #113
Paradroid90
Open Source Guru

Yeah had a few contacts when the Amiga was in its hey-day. Neither use a Amiga these days

Best Mate Guy got me into Amiga Gaming during 93 to 96 then he moved onto a PC and never came back..........

Still takes the Mickey when i tell him about my Power Tower Miggy!!!!

Keany had A1200 when i had a A500 then a PC when i had a A1200.You know what i mean always playing catch up!

Streats had a A500 and first game i ever saw on the Amiga Lemmings and feel in love with the machine!!!!

He was great with Pro Tracker and did a couple of tracks.......dont know what happened to the files..........Streats you still out there lol

Cool times
Old 10 February 2008, 19:16   #114
Sober1977

I lost contact with all of my Amiga buddies after leaving school...unfortunately adult life got in the way!

Back in the day it was great, whether it be mammoth games of Player Manager, Championship Manager or simply going around one persons house for a massive tournament (Kick Off 2 or Sensible Soccer)

Was a simply incredible time and I wish these people would get themselves on facebook. Used to play real football we these guys as well. oh well
Old 11 February 2008, 16:12   #115
klx300r

still keep in touch with quite a few of my 64 buds but only a few went the Amiga route in the early 90's..most went peecee or macs
Old 14 February 2008, 09:25   #116
Yaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I've forgotten more than I think I can remember from the likes at the Digital Symposium in Rotherham I think it was (Ray Norrish was there, he'll probably remember!), then there was the last of the Digital Copy Parties where I had the misfortune of travelling up with Iggy/Hellfire! He wasn't that bad actually, a little less manic in person than on the BBS's.
Haha our parties were legendary

I still chat on MSN with No5 from Digital/MF pretty regularly - we used to go out drinking together for years but then I moved away so only chat online once in a while now.

Spook from Digital works for Neversoft and was one of the main coders on Gun and also works on the Tony Hawks games now
Old 14 February 2008, 09:31   #117
Yaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajicMushroom View Post

I've found This - Go to the British Calling Card Bust section. The UK chap they are on about is Intreq.
Ha yeah and when the cops turned up to Intreq's there was about 30k worth of computer hardware in his house and a brand new car on the drive. All for a kid with no visible income. Problem was the kid at AT&T got caught who was supplying everyone and then basically grassed up everyone else.

Quite a few of the Digital guys who were using the cards for BBS' got fines and stuff after that but only Intreq did time as far as I know. The best part is they raided No5's and took all his computer hardware and when it was over they gave him his SNES & Wildcard back (although they didn't return the disks I believe )
Old 24 February 2008, 14:20   #118
FreAz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alewis View Post
I'd argue the toss about that <with a grin on me face> as Freeze and I had a dozen or so CD-ROMs on line on The Fridge. But who's counting. Especially TF was an indie board, and not fast at all.
OMG, isn't it amazing what fragments of a former existance exist when you google yourself.

I've still got the CDs, in their caddys and I seem to have also retained one of the external single speed scsi cd drives.

I honestly can't remember what happened to the A2000 the board was run on, and my original A1000 with its 256mb RAM add on and case with molded developer signatures on the inside has unfortunately been lost to a rushed house move. What I do have left is the 4000/030 with one of the 800meg drives - ashamedly not powered up now for 6+ years. I'm pretty sure it still contains the BBS section index txt files.

Who else got burnt fingers making parnet cables?

Old 24 February 2008, 15:02   #119
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Freaz welcome... one word about your A4000.....

BATTERY !!!
Old 26 February 2008, 11:48   #120
JonSick

Unfotunately, apart from my brother and his mate, most of my core amiga fans I knew back in the day are deceased. Not through age. One was killed in a motorcycle accident, one overdosed, one was a suicide and the last was killed in the line of duty. Sad stuff really. We mainly knew each other through doing band stuff together which stopped a while ago but still... a bit depressing.

My bro is doing fine, working and all that, just like everyone else.

Apart from that, its me

I just made myself sad...