English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 07 June 2019, 18:31   #101
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
As long as a trainer modifies memory cells occupied by the game program and therefore modifies the game program itself, and it does so without the creators permission, it´s illegal.
I didn't want to enter the discussion but I think this is going way too far. A trainer, if done properly, doesn't modify anything at all UNLESS the one using the trainer enables certain features of the trainer.

Quote:
Therefore there are software houses and lawyers out there, which can and do automatically sent out costly warnings if they get wind of such cases – even if they are in no way connected with the author of the original software.
I would like to see one case where anyone has been sued because of doing a trainer patch.

Anyway, I see where you're coming from and I understand your point of view, however, trainers have existed as long as games have been released and they are part of the scene. And nobody is forced to use a trainer at all.
Old 07 June 2019, 19:10   #102
Alpha One

I think it's getting ridiculous at this point, it's 2019, be happy that your 'overpriced' 5 level shooter gets well sells and dont cry about somebody making a trainer. If we weren't all grown up, your game had been spread for free after day 0 of release. But it wasn't -> as we all respect people who support the amiga nowadays. My 2 games I released during the last year are surely crap compared to yours but I would never write such things to 'ross' who released small trainers for both games. I am also on a third project at the moment and I do all these things in between caring for work, a wife and 2 children - I know how much work goes into creating a game. And I would NEVER have the idea to sell these products, its just a hobby and I want to support the 'left over' amiga community. Why can't you just be happy with your money you got through patreon and the good sells of your game (29 EUR download edition, woow) and stay with it ?!

Quote:
I love your smiley! But there are no opinions here, there is no room for interpretation. Claiming that a trainer would be a separate executable which "modifies the memory, no file on disk " is a technical description which does not hit the heart of the matter.

Sorry to repeat myself, but I really feel here is something to be learned. Again, please read this excerpt from a common copyright notice, which is included with RESHOOT R and millions of games out there: "You cannot modify [the program] without written permission"

What does that mean? It means that is does not matter if the trainer technically modifies memory cells in RAM, on 3.5, on 5 1/4, harddrive or CF Card. As long as a trainer modifies memory cells occupied by the game program and therefore modifies the game program itself, and it does so without the creators permission, it´s illegal.

I think you should know copyright cases are civil right. Therefore there are software houses and lawyers out there, which can and do automatically sent out costly warnings if they get wind of such cases – even if they are in no way connected with the author of the original software. That´s why it is not only grownup behaviour, but also wise to get the creators permission. Just a personal message with two lines, and you are in a safe position – win-win. Just saying.
Old 07 June 2019, 20:15   #103
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I will buy the game, for the full price. I will not pirate it. And it is up to me, if I will download and use the free trainer, that doesn't hurt anything and prevents me from cheating the online hi-score.
Old 07 June 2019, 20:42   #104
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

But is it so difficult to ask the person who coded the game for permission?
We are such a small scene.
Old 07 June 2019, 20:54   #105
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
But is it so difficult to ask the person who coded the game for permission?
We are such a small scene.
Some people want still to party like is 1990 imo :/
Old 07 June 2019, 21:38   #106
NeoHippie2016
Freak

For me itself, i've bought the game as 2 physical editions, cause i loved the first part of it (ReShoot). And i think, that the price for it is not too high! In the past we are willing to paid more money for games, that we want to play. Why not in the present?... And why some people are so negative about the work of programmer, which they spend much time in their products?... I must Go to bed, cause of work in the early morning tomorrow! After work, i will play both Reshoot and all the other games, which are released in the last 12 months. 2 words: Enjoy it!
Old 07 June 2019, 22:13   #107
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I didn't want to enter the discussion but I think this is going way too far. A trainer, if done properly, doesn't modify anything at all UNLESS the one using the trainer enables certain features of the trainer.

I would like to see one case where anyone has been sued because of doing a trainer patch.
Unfortunately the world is now crazy. I read recently that someone selling cheats for fortnite got sued. Not cracking or anything, just cheats. Not modifying or distributing code IP - just poking memory of sold games. In some countries violating an Eula is illegal. In others not at all.

I think whatever anyone’s position on trainers maybe it would be polite to take it to a different thread than the announcement thread of someone’s game that is intended as a celebration rather than a massive argument?
Old 07 June 2019, 22:41   #108
vulture

Yes please, it'd be nice if there was a thread split.
Old 07 June 2019, 23:11   #109
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I didn't want to enter the discussion but I think this is going way too far. A trainer, if done properly, doesn't modify anything at all UNLESS the one using the trainer enables certain features of the trainer. [...] And nobody is forced to use a trainer at all.
+1. It's player's choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One View Post
I think it's getting ridiculous at this point, [...] we all respect people who support the amiga nowadays. My 2 games I released during the last year are surely crap compared to yours but I would never write such things to 'ross' who released small trainers for both games. [..]
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad_UK View Post
Unfortunately the world is now crazy. I read recently that someone selling cheats for fortnite got sued. [...]
~ One year ago. See here
Old 08 June 2019, 00:16   #110
klx300r

Question

so to be clear between the PURE & SIGNATURE packaging...does the SIGNATURE come with extra soundtracks that can be played chosen to play simultaneously within the game itself or is the extra soundtrack a CD with new music/songs
Old 08 June 2019, 00:26   #111
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
I think you should know copyright cases are civil right. Therefore there are software houses and lawyers out there, which can and do automatically sent out costly warnings if they get wind of such cases – even if they are in no way connected with the author of the original software. That´s why it is not only grownup behaviour, but also wise to get the creators permission. Just a personal message with two lines, and you are in a safe position – win-win. Just saying.
I know you don't care, but you just lost a sale of your game: mine. And of anything in the future you make.
This here paragraph explains exactly why you are complaining. You're not part of the Amiga scene if you act this way. This is an underhanded threat, whether you go through with it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One View Post
If we weren't all grown up, your game had been spread for free after day 0 of release. But it wasn't -> as we all respect people who support the amiga nowadays.
Someone who isn't really a part of the scene, like this person clearly isn't, will not understand what's going on.

Who is the one stuck in 1991 when they talk about lawyers and copyright like if they worked at Ocean and they were discussing the cracking of the protection of RoboCop 3? Get in with reality.

i'm really, very, very sad to see that this kinda attitude is present in the few remaining people making stuff for Amiga. This looks like a fine game indeed. But I cannot support this mentality.

Anyone seeing a TRAINER as disrespect, is wrong. And if you want to go against decades of tradition and "sportmanship" between the people who actually made the Amiga scene and kept it going all these years (while you were doing what?), you need to re-assess.

I'm not the one who needs to grow up, that's for sure. game makers with a chip on their shoulder over this kinda thing are the ones stuck in their teens.

Here, listen to a man who actually made the scene you are trying to partycrash:
Quote:
trainers have existed as long as games have been released and they are part of the scene. And nobody is forced to use a trainer at all.

Last edited by Puggsy; 08 June 2019 at 00:34.
Old 08 June 2019, 00:48   #112
Estrayk

Really, all this controversy of Puggsy is because a trainer?

If I saw that has been released a trainer for my game, I would not be angry, I would be proud.
Old 08 June 2019, 04:00   #113
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrayk View Post
Really, all this controversy of Puggsy is because a trainer .... I would be proud.
You are right. This thread goes way too far by now and divides rather than unites. Discussion is blown up so much that, under a hive of misunderstandings, complains and accusations, the main message obviously got burried. Which is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
But is it so difficult to ask the person who coded the game for permission? We are such a small scene.
Exactly. Communicate. Work together! That´s how projects like RESHOOT R come alive - by great guys pulling in the same direction.

@klx300r: The additional Audio-CD of the Signature Edition contains eleven tracks / mainly great remixes of the ingame tune from various sceners, e.g. German Remix Group and AMIworx. You can play this at home, in your car, even in your CD32. The game has its own built-in soundtrack.

@rsn8887: Thanks for your work on the PSP- and Switch-emulators. Great to see my game running on these consoles! As for the missing background layer: This is made of a copperlist which copies one 64 pixel wide sprite five times per scanline, adding 64 pixels to the x-position every time. Just analysed your screenshot: The emulator copies the sprite at the very upper and lower borders correctly, but does not cope with video priority stuff which is also done by copperlist. In the main area, the sprite is not copied, maybe also because of timing issues. The copper timing has to be almost pixel perfect / cycle accurate. Maybe you an modify the emulator accordingly?

Also, thanks for you .hdf-suggestion. You may point your emulator to the lha-file, it is mounted within the Amiga emulation like a harddrive. At least with FS UAE it works like this, so I feel there is no need for a additional .hdf

Last edited by buzzybee; 08 June 2019 at 04:54.
Old 08 June 2019, 17:42   #114
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Also, thanks for you .hdf-suggestion. You may point your emulator to the lha-file, it is mounted within the Amiga emulation like a harddrive. At least with FS UAE it works like this, so I feel there is no need for a additional .hdf
You can do that but then obviously your high score won't be saved...

Also, why does the "reshootr.lha" file have a different title screen?

Old 08 June 2019, 22:10   #115
rsn8887

I think that lha-mounting is exclusive to FS-UAE. I don’t think other emulators support that but I am not 100% sure.
Old 08 June 2019, 22:15   #116
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
I think that lha-mounting is exclusive to FS-UAE. I don’t think other emulators support that but I am not 100% sure.
Not at all, you can mount .LHAs / LZXs / others in WinUAE.

Let's not forget that FS-UAE actually uses Toni's code / hard work, and has done for many years

...I think what's exclusive to FS-UAE is that if an .LHA file is mounted and files get updated, then these changes get stored to a temporary location.
Old 09 June 2019, 05:21   #117
buzzybee

@DamienD: I like the idea of adding a .hdf-file to the download, as well as a .zip-version. Will talk to Andreas Magerl who takes care of the shopsystem at amigashop.org and ask him, if and how we could implement this idea.
Old 09 June 2019, 05:25   #118
DamienD
Banned

Yeah cool, I've sent you a PM

There are two links:
  • A self-booting / bare bones .HDF that I created i.e. no Workbench files so is cool to distribute.
  • Same as above; but with the Flashtro trainer added.
Just as an FYI; I also created a floppy disk version of the original "Reshoot" for my own purposes... I can send you that too if you like?

Last edited by DamienD; 09 June 2019 at 05:45.
Old 09 June 2019, 05:46   #119
buzzybee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yeah cool, I've sent you a PM

There are two links there:
  • A Self-booting / bare bones .HDF that I created i.e. no Workbench files so is cool to distribute.
  • Same as above; but with the Flashtro trainer.
Just as an FYI; I also created a floppy disk version of the original "Reshoot" for my own purposes... I can send you that too if you like?
Thanks a lot. May I forward that to people who have trouble getting the emulator to work / adding a lha-file to it?

Quote:
  • Same as above; but with the Flashtro trainer.
Will probably make a voodoo puppet of this and stick a few needles into it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Oh yes, that´l be kind! Just so you know: A floppy disk version of RESHOOT R will be available in the near future, too!
Old 09 June 2019, 05:53   #120
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Thanks a lot. May I forward that to people who have trouble getting the emulator to work / adding a lha-file to it?
Yeah of course

Quote:
Will probably make a voodoo puppet of this and stick a few needles into it. :-)
LOL

...do with it as you will

Quote:
Oh yes, that´l be kind! Just so you know: A floppy disk version of RESHOOT R will be available in the near future, too!
Coming right up