English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 August 2018, 14:38   #101
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
You mean the digital video output. No HDMI on your card.
No, I mean HDMI - I bought it for what it was, and it was HDMI, even the spec sheet says so.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171031..._datasheet.pdf
Old 10 August 2018, 15:53   #102
Megol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Nope, you can solder as many sockets to boards as you wish, no problem. Selling a product that makes use of the standard does require a licence however. Just like many other technologies that are regularly licenced across the technology industry - exFAT for example.
Then the question becomes: does Vampire actually use the standard and so needing a license? If they send audio signals yes, if they use "protection" features yes. Video signals? In some cases, most cases is already covered with DVI.

Quote:
And that's fine since DVI connectors are very different to HDMI, even if they carry the same basic signals. It's important to note though that buying a HDMI connector is definitely not a cleanroom reimplementation of the HDMI connector...
And that sending DVI signals over a HDMI connector isn't using the HDMI standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
No, I mean HDMI - I bought it for what it was, and it was HDMI, even the spec sheet says so.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171031..._datasheet.pdf
Damn that's really extremely stupid of them! Yeah, this opens up for them to be rightfully sued.

Last edited by Megol; 10 August 2018 at 15:59.
Old 10 August 2018, 16:20   #103
E-Penguin
Banana

Low-volume licences are $5000 per year plus $1 per unit sold. It seems rather a lot of a hobby project to sustain.
Old 10 August 2018, 16:43   #104
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megol View Post
Then the question becomes: does Vampire actually use the standard and so needing a license? If they send audio signals yes, if they use "protection" features yes. Video signals? In some cases, most cases is already covered with DVI.
HDCP is its own, separate licence. Video and audio are carried over the same pins so the connector doesn't care whether you only use video. Simply using HDMI as an interconnect requires a licence - even selling a dumb cable or a passive adaptor needs a licence. So yes, it does use the licence.

Besides, they've been talking about a future version including audio - after all, how are they going to get the extra quality of their upgraded "Paula" implementation out if not through the HDMI connector?

Quote:
And that sending DVI signals over a HDMI connector isn't using the HDMI standard.
Sending DVI signals over HDMI is HDMI. They should have used a generic connector and allowed the users to use whatever cable they wished for the rear port. DVI would have been ideal here, or even just a pin header. After all, despite using a practical connector like HDMI, access is very impractical and most users need to bring the signal to a separate external connector anyway.

Quote:
Damn that's really extremely stupid of them! Yeah, this opens up for them to be rightfully sued.
Old 10 August 2018, 17:00   #105
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
a hobby
It stopped being a hobby project a long time ago.
Old 10 August 2018, 18:32   #106
Megol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Sending DVI signals over HDMI is HDMI. They should have used a generic connector and allowed the users to use whatever cable they wished for the rear port. DVI would have been ideal here, or even just a pin header. After all, despite using a practical connector like HDMI, access is very impractical and most users need to bring the signal to a separate external connector anyway.
So using the connector itself requires being an "adopter"? Even if one use it for analog signals as a few people do? Okay, fine.
Old 10 August 2018, 18:43   #107
nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
US patents cannot be enforced in Europe. Please start your own thread about this topic. The fact remains that several people have shown MacOS 8.1 running on a Vampire with Gold 2.10. Your "bug report" is not reproducible.
sure they can

Additionally, the U.S. is a member of the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) which streamlines the process for U.S. inventors and businesses to file for patents in multiple countries. By filing one patent application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), U.S. applicants can concurrently seek protection in up to 148 countries as of April, 2014.
https://www.stopfakes.gov/article?id...ther-Countries
https://www.uspto.gov/patents-gettin...on-treaty.html
more than 150 now

Last edited by nexus; 10 August 2018 at 19:01.
Old 10 August 2018, 20:42   #108
grond

@nexus: I'm a patent attorney by profession.
Old 10 August 2018, 21:14   #109
nexus

Quote:
@nexus: I'm a patent attorney by profession.
then you should know you are wrong as proven above
Old 10 August 2018, 21:16   #110
kolla
Banned

What does patents have to do with this anyways?
Old 10 August 2018, 21:19   #111
nexus

not really sure but i just had to correct that statement as it is incorrect
Old 10 August 2018, 21:24   #112
kolla
Banned

Anyways, there are plenty of European HDMI partners, so... hello there, Philips etc
Old 10 August 2018, 21:26   #113
majsta
www.majsta.com

And this topic is about what exactly?
Old 10 August 2018, 21:30   #114
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
And this topic is about what exactly?
About flame wars, like every other vampire thread
Old 10 August 2018, 21:46   #115
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
then you should know you are wrong as proven above
It is not wrong. The PCT is a way of applying for a patent for the same invention in another legislation. This patent application will be examined like any other local patent application. It is commonplace that in one country a patent will be granted while in another it will be not or in a totally different form. In any case no patent can be enforced outside the country that granted the patent. I doubt very much that any HDMI patents are in force in Bosnia-Herzegovina, majsta's country of residence.
Old 10 August 2018, 21:50   #116
nexus

Quote:
It is not wrong. The PCT is a way of applying for a patent for the same invention in another legislation. This patent application will be examined like any other local patent application. It is commonplace that in one country a patent will be granted while in another it will be not or in a totally different form. In any case no patent can be enforced outside the country that granted the patent. I doubt very much that any HDMI patents are in force in Bosnia-Herzegovina, majsta's country of residence.
look lawyer im not debating the FACTS you are wrong and all the info above proves so geez should i rattle off statues?
it takes 1 application to get it for more than 150 countries this isnt new
anyways i proved my point i just didnt want people to see that and think you can go around stealing patents thats all
Old 10 August 2018, 22:17   #117
kolla
Banned

@Nexus
Just because you can apply for patent in all those countries "in one go", does not mean you actually get the patent in all of them. Different jurisdictions, different laws and regulations. So no, you are wrong, the lawyer here is right.
Old 10 August 2018, 22:21   #118
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
About flame wars, like every other vampire thread
This was my worry after firstly approving this thread in News the section, and then why I decided to move it out, but finally moving it back for some reason.

...we are getting way off topic here guys

I've just got home from work so pretty tired. Sometime over the next few days I might try to split this thread by moving all legal / patent posts to another one but that won't be easy and will take time.
Old 11 August 2018, 00:26   #119
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
On JimDrew's problems; are you using the same version of FUSION which everyone else is, or an updated version you're testing?

Yes, I tried real (not hacked) versions of FUSION v3.1 and v3.2. As I stated, all I have to do is to literally change the Apollo core between v2.9 and v2.10 to have the issue. All previous version of the core (back to the 1st Silver) also work. It's just v2.10 that does not. I am going through my storage to try to find my Winkbug. I would be able to send the resource number that is loaded and at least determine what resource it is that is causing the crash. From there I should be able to load (without execute) the Mac system resource, save it, and then disassemble it to look at it.
Old 11 August 2018, 00:32   #120
JimDrew

Quote:
US patents cannot be enforced in Europe.

You are absolutely right! ... which is why the HDMI patent was filed (and granted) in a large number of countries. As a patent attorney you would have to know that this is common place.