what mean bffs ????
Old 23 July 2013, 16:17   #102
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Best friends forever.
Old 04 August 2013, 15:18   #103
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Quite ironic that someone who long time ago boasted on forums about his proud ps2 pirate game collection is now asking money for a game he is making...
Old 04 August 2013, 15:34   #104
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Has the Amiga ever even had a triple-A title? I doubt it. Most were small developers compared to the consoles at the time. We certainly never had a Sonic, Mario, Zelda, Gran Turismo, Tekken etc. I think the closest the Amiga came to a Triple-A title was Flashback but even that is a bit optimistic. I'd say most of the top Amiga games were just the one A. It certainly wasn't a machine to spend a lot of money on from a developers point of view. So to ask if someone would pay for a Triple-A title now is frankly ridiculous. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04 August 2013, 16:01   #105
Phantom
Adventurer

Big developers doesn't mean good and playable titles. Well, thanks god that I never had Sonic or Mario (give me a break) on my Amiga. And yes I will pay for a brand new Amiga game (as I always do), as I know that this game is developed on Amiga with passion and the Amiga user in mind, and not my pockets or my credit/debit card.

As of Flashback, for me it has the best animation from any other game, and as I have a PS3, I can assure you that it still has far better animation than some PS3 titles, and that's on a humble A500 running at 7MHz. Today developers have insane power but most of the titles are mediocre and of course unplayable and boring, they are just full of 3D stuff, Dolby Digital sound etc; no thanks.

To end this, yes I'm playing on both my PS3 and my A1200 of course. On PS3 I normally play any RockStar's game (do you remember DMA Design?) or Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft. But why those developers? Hm, probably they are in gaming industry since 80s-90s, so they know something about gameplay, whereas many new developers don't know exactly what this word means.
Old 04 August 2013, 16:32   #106
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
A AAA game, or pronounced "triple-A game", is generally a title developed by a large studio, funded by a massive budget.

These games will have a marketing budget in the multiple-millions of dollars, and are planned to earn out in excess of one million titles sold. Investors/publishers expect a multiple-of-cost return on their investment. In order to recoup general development costs, publishers will generally produce the title for the major platforms (currently Xbox 360, PS3, and PC) to maximize profits, unless it is a console exclusive, in which case the console maker will pay for exclusivity to offset the loss of potential profit to the developer.
http://gameindustry.about.com/od/glo...g/Aaa-Game.htm

This never happened on the Amiga. It simply wasn't a big enough platform.
Old 04 August 2013, 16:45   #107
Marcuz

I doubt you can compare a 2013 definition of big budget development with the budget required for a game that could run on Amiga, but for sure there were developer houses with a number of workers dedicated to a game all day long for a time > than one year, being more or less payed all along.
Old 13 August 2013, 11:03   #108
sokolovic

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum.

I had an e-mail exchange with the team behind Pier Solar. I wanted to produce an adaptation for classic Amigas.

Since I don't have any experience in coding game, I thought this e-mail can have some interest for some guys here. I've already send it to Sandro.

Here their answer :

Quote:
Hello, Mathieu!

We truly appreciate your interest in working on it, but at this point Pier Solar is only ported by WaterMelon team itself.
However, we would like to know if you have experience in previous projects or games, if yes please share them with us, we may be interested into a collaboration for the future regarding to a project apart from Pier Solar.

Have a wonderful day!

Best Regards,
Ruby Woo
- WM
gisele@watermelon-corp.com
and my previous e-mail :

Quote:
Hello,

First of all, I'd like to congratulates you for the incredible work done on Pier Solar.

I don't know how to introduce my request, and I hope I'm not bothering you, but I'm interested about doing an adaptation on the Amiga 1200 computer and the CD32 of this game. As you know, the two machines are quite closes to the Genesis / Megadrive and I think this may be possible.

Since there is so much work, and what a work !, done on this game, I assume that there will be some rights to secure, in case you won't see any problem in my project. I'd like to know of much you estimate those rights. I'm nothing of a professional of the business and I'm only doing it not to make money but only to help provide the Amiga one great game.

For the conversion I may need the source code, the musics and all the graphics made for the game, and also the design of the packaging.

My project is to produce 500 or 1000 exemplars of the game, in classical old fashioned big boxes, in disks (I estimate around 10 disks for a conversion of the cartridge version) and CD-Rom for the CD32.

I was thinking about making a crownfunding to pursue this project, but I'd like to know, first of all if it is legally possible because I'm willing to make a start-up budget including all the cost before doing anything (that includes the rights, the salary of the conversion team and the production).

I hope you'll apologize my english. I'm sort of a french !

Regards, and respects, Hope to have an answer, even if it is negative,

Mathieu Castel.
Old 13 August 2013, 12:02   #109
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I had an e-mail exchange with the team behind Pier Solar. I wanted to produce an adaptation for classic Amigas.
That would be great! A500 and A1200/CD32 versions shouldn't be too hard to do.

Last edited by Thorham; 13 August 2013 at 12:08.
Old 13 August 2013, 20:27   #110
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Quite ironic that someone who long time ago boasted on forums about his proud ps2 pirate game collection is now asking money for a game he is making...
Ironic, but not surprising..
Lots of Amiga developers have been pirates.. ;-)

desiv
Old 14 August 2013, 11:39   #111
RCtech

The more difficult task would be to find a new game idea which isn't common on PCs (egoshooter, racing, simulation, strategy, multiplayer etc.). The most game ideas are only copied from the old computers, but they're always bigger and faster - and need more hardware. The other types of games are very small games like Zuma, Bejeweld, Peggle usw. I prefer these more because they're loading quickly and are easier. I like these games on my Android phone, but I'm not sure if they are good for the Amiga.

If you want nice games, take a look at MS-DOS games. I've got more than 170 installed, using Boxer. A lot are Amiga conversions. They don't need much memory and often not even a 3D graphics card. For new games, I'd have no problem with remakes and/or continued series of existing games. On the C64, it worked with Turrican 3 from Smash Designs. It would be possible to enhance games to AGA. Interesting could also be a game designing set. There most games are basing on engines, f.e. SCUMM or Freescape (Castle Master), Turrican, Lemmings and whatever. With DPaint we have ideal methods to design sprites with animbrushes. For audio an enhanced protracker routine + two channels for effects should be possible.

Last edited by RCtech; 14 August 2013 at 12:44.

Old 14 August 2013, 12:23   #112
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtech View Post
To the AAA-Amiga
AAA refers to software, not hardware, as in AAA games such as Skyrim and Starcraft 2.

There are no AAA Amigas
Old 14 August 2013, 12:46   #113
RCtech

Wikipedia says "AAA game, a lingo in the video game industry for games developed for major platforms with enormous marketing budgets." Do you mean this?

Never heard of the expression. I'm no gamer at all, though I like watching Amiga and C64 longplays
AAA is only 'Advanced Amiga Architecture' for me, that's why I was wondering about this thread at all

Old 14 August 2013, 12:53   #114
Marcuz

Actually I never heard of the expression me too, before this thread (of if I have, I have forgotten) I'm under the impression it's kind of a slimy, insinuating rep sales expression.
Creepy.
Old 14 August 2013, 13:21   #115
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Well, it is probably inherited from the financial world.

Big Budget, "renowned" developers and publishers, (optionally) well-known license AND should have high sales figure
---> If you are a shareholder of the developer/publisher, you should make a quite a profit. If not, it is time to buy some shares.

Ofc, AAA is nothing compared to AAA+ or even SSS :
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../RankInflation
Old 15 August 2013, 01:47   #116
Photon

I took it from the poll that he meant a chipset different from OCS and AGA?

If he means the AAA chipset, I'd say he must first sell some machines that have it

Maybe he's making a CD32 game? Not a bad idea, and I'd pay for it if it's near as good as the handful of games that are good on it (i.e. written for it)!
Old 15 August 2013, 10:17   #117
Exit

well, shame that the producers of this game dont bring out a aga version..

M.A.C.E
[ Show youtube player ]

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...5&currency=GBP

and to be on topic, i would pay some money for a game like this or a good adventure game..(lucasarts style)
Old 15 August 2013, 10:23   #118
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

DrBong just created the HOL entry for M.A.C.E. : http://hol.abime.net/6030

The developer is quite active on OS 4: http://www.amiboing.de/games.php
Old 17 August 2013, 07:52   #119
Jope
-

Hmmh, I was looking for a plain no option. I don't think it should be free, nor do I think Amiga games suck, but I'm not interested in spending money on new Amiga games either. :-)

No vote from me. :-)
Old 17 August 2013, 14:24   #120
Photon

The original question reads, "Would you pay for a new Amiga game, if it's good enough?", with Yes - for my A500, Yes - for my A1200, and two no options.

So I think either of the No options does the job Jope

The poll results are quite interesting, actually!

Because of the way he asked the question, I think mikrucio expected a quite different outcome.

And about the "did the Amiga have any killer games", I would have to answer that with a resounding YES. Virtually everyone who had an Amiga had the Turricans, Lemmings, Sim City, the Lotuses, the Shadows of the Beast - in fact some of the games were the reason they bought an Amiga.