English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 08 October 2010, 03:12   #81
MoodyB

Hey all,

Apologies everyone for the excessive bump of an ancient thread, but I'm trying to get my hands on the modified CF_ClassicWB_LITE archive that ppill created ?

I just bought a 2nd hand amiga 1200+2gb pcmcia cf card so I could transfer my old Protracker mods from 15+ years ago to use on my pc with Amiga Forever2010/Uae.

I was then duly bitten by the tinkering bug, and would love to have workbench booting via the floppy boot disk + pcmcia cf card.

I take it this is still the best way to boot via a pcmcia cf card, or is there another method ?

Any advice, or pointing to a more appropriate thread, would be appreciated.

ALan

Old 08 October 2010, 04:00   #82
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Hiyas Alan,

Welcome to EAB, I see you suffer from insomnia as some others around here

okay now the CF card can infact be used as an IDE harddisk - thus no need to boot from floppy drive.

you can just load workbench from the CF card acting as a harddisk - you will need another cheap bit of hardware

a Compact Flash to IDE adapter - heres a couple to consider

a 44 pin IDE to CF Adapter £1.30 (free pnp)

This would require a 44pin (female) IDE cable

Amigakit.com sell these for about £3 inc pnp

44pin Female connected CF-IDE card £4.73 *free pnp*

This would plug straight onto your A1200 internal IDE port

now if that lot has wetted your appitite then have a search on setting up workbench with WinUAE, once you got that far - have a search for Classic Workbench =D

it may seem like a lot of work, I can honestly promise its worth all the effort and then some!
Old 08 October 2010, 09:13   #83
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyB View Post
Hey all,

Apologies everyone for the excessive bump of an ancient thread, but I'm trying to get my hands on the modified CF_ClassicWB_LITE archive that ppill created ?

ALan
I'll reuplaod them later (check back in the evening)
Old 08 October 2010, 16:26   #84
MoodyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Hiyas Alan,

Welcome to EAB, I see you suffer from insomnia as some others around here
Thanks for the welcome Zetr0.

I've discovered long ago that we don't sit at our computers due to insomnia, it's these damm machines that cause the insomnia

'just another 20mins...', is normally followed with 'christ is that the time ! ? ' a few hours later...

Quote:
okay now the CF card can infact be used as an IDE harddisk - thus no need to boot from floppy drive.
you can just load workbench from the CF card acting as a harddisk - you will need another cheap bit of hardware

now if that lot has wetted your appitite then have a search on setting up workbench with WinUAE, once you got that far - have a search for Classic Workbench =D

it may seem like a lot of work, I can honestly promise its worth all the effort and then some!
I'm trying my best to refrain from buying too much for the 'miggy, as I know I'll just want it back to the towered A1200+1260 accelerator, pci busboard, etc... that I had many years ago

There's so many bits & pieces I could treat myself to on amigakit.com it's not funny. Plus my bank manager wouldn't be too amused either

The A1200 was only bought to make adf's of my old protracker disks so I could use them in AmigaForever, which I just recently upgraded to the 2010+ version from 05. I was running AF for a while after I sold my amiga so I could continue to use Bars'n'Pipes for music writing. I've since switched to a pc sequencer + vst plugins, but still miss quite a few things from BnP.

Old 08 October 2010, 16:27   #85
MoodyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
I'll reuplaod them later (check back in the evening)
Excellent.Thanks ppill.

It's appreciated

Old 08 October 2010, 20:43   #86
ppill

Here you go: link

You still need to install workbench files under WinUAE (like with any other ClassicWB distribution). And this is not the current version of ClassicWB (haven't really updated this one in a while) but still will be more than enough for transferring mod files.

After the WinUAE bit just copy the hdf file to the CF card's root directory, write the ADF image to a floppy and you're good to go.
Old 13 October 2010, 19:08   #87
MoodyB

Thanks for this ppill.

I got the mod files transfered over, but that was using the adf software that came with my cf card & pcmcia adaptor.

I tried getting your tweaked version to run off the cf card. It booted fine off the floppy & seemed quite happy but after 30-45mins it was still showing a grey screen.

Tried it a few times & got the same result, so I'll put it down to user error on my part

I might just go with an ide adaptor instead. That way it'll be easier for any other owner in the future when I sell the amiga on.

Old 13 October 2010, 19:26   #88
MoodyB

As I said, it was user error

I my haste earlier, I forgot to 'activate' the classicwb_lite.hdf with my workbench disk image

Once I did that, it loads up about 10secs after the floppy disk has stopped.

Thanks again ppill. Just saved me a few £££'s

Old 13 October 2010, 20:31   #89
ppill

You're welcome
Old 29 November 2012, 05:35   #90
JackTheKnife
Amiga Fetish

I have try to move ClassicWB from WinUAE to CF based on that video [ Show youtube player ] but when I will add CF card as UAE hard disk ClassicWB wont boot (I have black screen). CF card has 2 bootlable partitions and 1 non-bootable.

Any clue?

Thanks

Last edited by JackTheKnife; 29 November 2012 at 05:46.
Old 29 November 2012, 08:25   #91
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This is a modified ClassicWB version, bootable via a special boot disk. For a CF card with ClassicWB on it, plugged into the PCMCIA port. Not as normal IDE-CF card harddrive.
Old 03 November 2018, 04:38   #92
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
I've created modified ClassicWB packages which you can use to boot from using a special disk for each one (LITE, FULL, ADVSP). I'm uploading them now(this may take a while) and will post links when done.

Here are the links:
CF_ClassicWB_LITE
CF_ClassicWB_FULL
CF_ClassicWB_ADVSP

Check ClassicWB's site to see which one suits your setup.

All you need to do is:
  • Using WinUAE copy the necessary files from the Workbench 3.x to the HDF of your choice (like you would when installing the normal packs -- simply load the ClassicWB config file, add the HDF file in the Hard Drives tab and click Start)
  • Then copy the HDF file to a FAT fromatted CF card's root directory (this is important because the mountlist for the HDF file points there)
  • Transfer the coresponding ADF to a floppy disk
  • Plug in the CF Adapter with the card
  • Insert the boot floppy and wait

Depending on the setup it shouldn't take more than 40 seconds to load up (on my a1240/40 it takes 30 secs to boot up the ADVSP version and 10 secs to reboot). If it fails to boot switch off the amiga, remove the adapter and plug it back in (this should help). If something else should happen get back to me in this thread .

I haven't had the time to create a step by step guide showing exactly how to create an HDF file plus a corresponding mountlist but you can simply modify one of the images included in the packs without changing its name and use that.

/me is off to the another amiga project
Any chance of re-uploading these compilations?