English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 02 January 2011, 00:20   #81
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Hi Retrofan

I've currently got the native audio (desoldered the phono plugs and run a wire) passing through the line in of the delfina, then the CDDA comes into aux1, then the output from the delfina is going out the back on the original phono plugs mounted upside down on vero board then hot glued. But soon I will make a small audio mixer curcuit on the vero board and have Delfina coming in one side (with CDDA) and native audio coming into the other channel. This is simply because Delfina only passes native audio once the mixer software is loaded. It stays resident, so on a soft reset you can load a classic game and get audio. But if you boot from cold, you get no native audio, hence why i'm making the mixer. I also plan to try and add some jack ports to the side near the USB connectors for MIC, LINE IN and Headphone (if I can fit a headphone amp circuit in near it)

Good luck with your Delfina, and be careful taking off the clockport connector, there are two tiny capacitors underneath that need to stay intact
Old 03 January 2011, 01:47   #82
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

You are great phipscube. I can make by myself other things, but this delfina installation you're saying seems more difficult. I will wait for your updates of the project with photos...

My first idea was tho leave the originals and put it's outputs in the RF place.

BTW: Any thoughts to improve the internet connection? I use Wifi and I like it, but I've heard of the bottleneck problem reading this:
"High Speed serial Port expander from VMC. Either named the Hypercom 1 or Port Junior
Basically it connects to the clock port in an Amiga 1200 motherboard and provides high speed Serial access upto 460,800 bps.
This is extremely quick compared to the built in port. I used this when i connected a Modem to my Amiga. The speed between my Modem and the amiga was the bottleneck at the time.
Also can be used for a serial network."

Last edited by Retrofan; 03 January 2011 at 20:45.
Old 06 January 2011, 18:32   #83
paulo_becas

Just one comment... i hate you so bad that i almost want to cut my wrist...
Just tell me why you show this things around here, i bet there are a lot of guys crying around because of your pictures.. and i bet that you get really happy for making everyone miserable here, including me.

Awesome f#### job man...
Old 06 January 2011, 18:44   #84
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
If you think this guy is good at building Amiga's you should see him dance
Old 07 January 2011, 14:16   #85
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
You are great phipscube. I can make by myself other things, but this delfina installation you're saying seems more difficult. I will wait for your updates of the project with photos...

My first idea was tho leave the originals and put it's outputs in the RF place.

BTW: Any thoughts to improve the internet connection? I use Wifi and I like it, but I've heard of the bottleneck problem reading this:
"High Speed serial Port expander from VMC. Either named the Hypercom 1 or Port Junior
Basically it connects to the clock port in an Amiga 1200 motherboard and provides high speed Serial access upto 460,800 bps.
This is extremely quick compared to the built in port. I used this when i connected a Modem to my Amiga. The speed between my Modem and the amiga was the bottleneck at the time.
Also can be used for a serial network."
Hi Retrofan, The Delfina hackery was quite terrifying to be honest. I really thought "OK, this isn't going to work" When I put it all back in and turned on the machine I expected smoke, well I always expect smoke after each tweak, so it must be some kind of reverse psychology trick I play on the old girl!

As far as WiFi goes i'm not really sure mate! I've not gotten my Ethernet working online yet, but my idea there is to be able to add a Bridge if I felt like going wireless g. You can take the PCMCIA route, but thats only for wireless b cards AFAIK. I can't see how you can get wifi through a serial port, even an enhanced one... are there rs232 to wifi adapters out there?

Ideally it would be perfect if Poseidon supported USB Wifi sticks at some point....

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_becas View Post
Just one comment... i hate you so bad that i almost want to cut my wrist...
Just tell me why you show this things around here, i bet there are a lot of guys crying around because of your pictures.. and i bet that you get really happy for making everyone miserable here, including me.

Awesome f#### job man...
HAHA! But I do hope that these mods bring inspiration as well as misery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
If you think this guy is good at building Amiga's you should see him dance
Nice one Stevo mate! HAHA!! I guess you are referring to my random outburst at the "Sticky" Tower Club with the Amibay crew in Blackpool when we went to R3play T'was good fun that!

Seeing as you here Steve, its reminded me to say to everyone that i'm currently waiting for my duff BVision to come back so I can attempt to transplant the connector off it onto a BVision I got off Zetr0 sans connector (But is working otherwise). Hopefully it gets here before Monday so I can have a go at work. This will be one hell of a task so will update with pics as I get going
Old 07 January 2011, 14:35   #86
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post

Nice one Stevo mate! HAHA!! I guess you are referring to my random outburst at the "Sticky" Tower Club with the Amibay crew in Blackpool when we went to R3play T'was good fun that!

Seeing as you here Steve, its reminded me to say to everyone that i'm currently waiting for my duff BVision to come back so I can attempt to transplant the connector off it onto a BVision I got off Zetr0 sans connector (But is working otherwise). Hopefully it gets here before Monday so I can have a go at work. This will be one hell of a task so will update with pics as I get going
Looking forward to those pics mate almost as much as the next dance off

Hope it arrives soon for you mate
Old 08 January 2011, 02:15   #87
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

About the wifi connection, I have the feeling it's going faster now after I got some more speed with my Fast Ata (perhaps it can't be?). No, I believe that if surfing the net can be improved it has to be with a cable... But I use a Wifi Orinoco Gold with Genesis and IBrowse and as I say, today was running faster, I think.

Last edited by Retrofan; 08 January 2011 at 02:21.
Old 12 January 2011, 11:59   #88
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Woo Hoo!

YES! BVision is repaired and in! Only done initial tests, but so far so good....

See my Repair thread for details on what i did over on Amibay: -

http://amibay.com/showthread.php?t=12634

here's a few pics...

The connector is replaced and all soldered up!

Finished off with a nice bit of shiny laquer

Boots up first time and i'm straight into the Early Startup Screen

The Boot Screen looks weird though, is this normal through the BV? A couple of guys over on Amibay say its normal so I assume its a general thing with BV.

There she is nestled in nicely

Another shot showing it go under the Clockport Expander. No heat sinks installed as yet, and it gets ruddy hot in minutes! Will be much better with heat sinks on and case on top with fans blowing

Couple more shots inside, s'cuse the mess!

I had to do a quick mod on the HDD power. It was dropping off like mad with the BV in, so snipped the power being fed from the IDE Fix Express and hard wired +5V from the PSU connector. No probs now You can see my temporary cludge for audio out here too. this will be a better board, more secure, with a mixer cct and possibly a couple of external ports for mic and line in.

I tried booting her up through Indivision, just to make sure there is no mess onscreen and that the power is good with BV in... it all seems ok. +5V is at 4.69V

So I need to get CyberGrafx 4 on and get the latest driver for BV next! then we can see some REAL juicy display action

Anyway, thanks for looking... more to come!
Old 12 January 2011, 12:05   #89
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

I bet you can't wait to have a blast on Wipeout

Really great work though, I especially like the Microscope pics - how did you take those?

Steve.
Old 12 January 2011, 12:32   #90
Vairn
The Grim-Button

Yeah, the kickstart screen is fine, the amount of times my HDD never worked, I saw it alot. hehe.
Old 12 January 2011, 13:02   #91
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Nice to hear the Boot screen is normal, it did worry me a bit and made me hesitate before I stuck on the heat sinks. I wanted to be sure the card was ok first. Cheers!

Yo Steve! I put my mobile phone over one of the eye pieces and wobbled it around until the lens lined up pretty random actually! And yeah WIPEOUT FINALLY! Well Once I get a good working OS!

Last edited by phipscube; 12 January 2011 at 13:03. Reason: additions
Old 12 January 2011, 20:45   #92
Reptile

What would be cool is if a company or someone made 1200s like this from stock models, I'm sure they would sell quite a few of them, I know Amigakit do up-to-date 1200 configurations but not quite on this scale!

Alas, getting hold of PPC boards will be nigh on impossible. Sigh.
Old 13 January 2011, 00:34   #93
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hey Phipscube&Fitzsteve to take photos with a microscope you can use this: http://cgi.ebay.es/8LED-25X-400X-2M-...item4aa71dbeb0
I have one. It's USB and 400x
Old 29 January 2011, 23:44   #94
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Well After a few weeks of seriously smashing my head and face against a wall trying to get Warp OS running, or ANYTHING software related , I finally gave in and tried to load Marios' awesome install (cheers Marios!). It didn't work on a HDD and was told to try it on a CF card, so I waited for a CF adapter I ordered. That came the other day, and with the help of Mr Fitz (who altered Marios' Install to default at 1024 x 768 ) I got this: -

HAHAHAHAHAAA!! I SCREAMED WAHAAAAY! and the image just suited perfectly (brilliant idea Steve!) Thats Steve and Myself rather half issed after the fab R3play event last year in Blackpool

I couldn't seem to get the Quake install Steve had setup to work, but instead I installed the Wipeout 2097 Demo: -

FWOARSOME! It worked great, and it looked fab! Cheers muchly Marios and Steve for the ability to make sure the BV was indeed a goodie

So the BV is verifired finally, I decided to go back to my old crusty test install on HDD (with the above install I have no DVD, Delfina, Subway etc, and the CF reader is hanging out all over the place so the system gets pretty hot without them fans blowing!).

I've been doing lots of random hardware things which aren't quite finished yet so wont show too much on those things (the main one is my home made Auto video switcher). But i'll show you all my nice heatsinks form a company called Alpha in Japan: -

The one on the 060 is infact 3mm high and is just there to help a little with dissipation. I've done some rough thermal tests and results show that the 060 is infact the hottest of the PPC, BV and itself with the case on, screwed down and the 3 fans blowing. Each chip is a good 9 to 10 deg C cooler with the case on. those fans ontop bring the BV down to 46 Deg C and the PPC to 55 Deg C whilst the 060 goes around 61 Deg C (mainly because it has no airflow over it). I'll be making more accurate measurements later and will post more detail here (I need a better Thermometer basically, as the one from work is cak)

Then today this appeared in my post box: -

The APOWER by Mech over on A.Org.... this little beaut powers my WHOLE machine with no sweat!

Look at the ratings: -

Its just pure Awesomeness.... look at it next to my old PSU....

And finally here it is next to my A1200 and running it: -

It doesn't seem right does it? that tiny PSU powers my whole A1200 in all its beastly form.

Big thanks to Mike (Mechy) over on A.Org for this, absolutely amazing work, cheers mate!

So coming soon will be a few more tweaks to the Delfina outputs, USB ports and the Auto Monitor Switcher!

Last edited by phipscube; 04 February 2011 at 15:23. Reason: spelling
Old 30 January 2011, 00:24   #95
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Great news mate

Glad its all working, have a go on Quake 2 you can grab it off the dropbox from the 'fitz' folder just un-lha and play

Should work a treat.

Steve.
Old 30 January 2011, 01:17   #96
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Awesome news my friend! I'm really glad all worked just fine
Wallpaper roxz0rz lol

I can't wait to see more of your mods bro. Just finished at last my own Slot-In DVD-RW dremel+mounting tonight!
Old 31 January 2011, 13:06   #97
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

@Steve, Yeah, I got Quake 2 off your DB and I was going to load that up next Once I get all the lid on properly again i'll get some vids up on my Youtube page

@Marios, AWESOME MATE! So now i'll be F5'ing your mod thread with excitement!
Old 31 January 2011, 13:46   #98
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
@Steve, Yeah, I got Quake 2 off your DB and I was going to load that up next Once I get all the lid on properly again i'll get some vids up on my Youtube page
Cool! I'll be F5'ing your threads

Steve.
Old 31 January 2011, 13:59   #99
AmigaFriend

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAAA!! I SCREAMED WAHAAAAY! and the image just suited perfectly (brilliant idea Steve!) Thats Steve and Myself rather half issed after the fab R3play event last year in Blackpool
LOL! That wallpaper made my day

Nice Amiga Phipscube, waiting for your next posts!
Old 31 January 2011, 18:18   #100
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Nice PSU. I've never seen one of those