Originally Posted by mombasajoe View Post
...without the keyboard.
Good point.
Old 22 February 2010, 12:53   #82
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
I don't see the size being relevant to be honest, you can pick up pc's with very little footprint which I recently purchased myself which I'll be sticking WinUAE on along with loads of other emulators. Also, if I was getting an Amiga replacement I'd want it to look and feel like an Amiga otherwise I'd just use WinUAE.
I never said that I would buy one, but still that is a PC which runs Windows and then emulates an Amiga, while a MiniMig does that at once. I see your point seuden I guess it's the 'close to a real Amiga' thingy that people like (having a real 68000 and stuff). Maybe your link will convince some of them to think twice about getting a MiniMig

Quote:
...without the keyboard.
I hope they have some USB ports on the MiniMig
Old 22 February 2010, 12:54   #83
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
WinUAE = no real 80´s or 90´s Amiga
minimig = no real 80´s or 90´s Amiga
This is just Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Real 68k processor - Smooth scrolling -Works with real amiga input devices like Joysticks -Once your Amiga kicks the bucket this is the closes your get to a replacement.

adiós
Old 22 February 2010, 12:57   #84
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Once your Amiga kicks the bucket this is the closes your get to a replacement.
You mean 'Once your A500...'
Old 22 February 2010, 12:57   #85
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
WinUae cant use your Championship Manager floppy disks
Correct (Other than you can use Catweasel), so that doesn't make Minimig a better solution over WinUAE then, that's something they both have in common. I already have a pc which I use for everyday stuff and so do most people, so most people have the ability already without spending money to use MOST Amiga software.
Old 22 February 2010, 12:58   #86
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
This is just Silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Real 68k processor - Smooth scrolling -Works with real amiga input devices like Joysticks -Once your Amiga kicks the bucket this is the closes your get to a replacement.

adiós
You can use Amiga joysticks and mice with a pc with the correct hardware.
Old 22 February 2010, 13:27   #87
mombasajoe

Quote:
Once your Amiga kicks the bucket this is the closes your get to a replacement.
Maybe, but that was not the question. It was ´Would you PUT AWAY your Amiga for a Minimig´ and I would never REPLACE a working Amiga by it. And I say ´no´ because of emotional reasons which you have btw. quoted right. I do not really see your problem.
Old 22 February 2010, 13:30   #88
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

I would never get a Minimig as long as real Amiga's still exist. I also prefer Winuae over a Minimig
Old 22 February 2010, 16:01   #89
Dan Locke

To be honest, I really don't see the point of the project.
Old 22 February 2010, 16:04   #90
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The point is that the author(s) wanted to do it.
Old 22 February 2010, 20:55   #91
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

AGA will bring me a step closer to adhering the the thread title - and i love my original hardware.

Certainly i would like to give it a try and compare though. real A1200 and a PC running WinUAE are still big space hoggers, and i doubt i will ever have/want a PC under my TV when i have other media devices there already.

seuden - i appreciate the points you've made re: running winuae as an alternative, but some of us will do anything *not* to have PC for running Amiga stuff on (especially as i dont have a PC 'ready to go' for such usage)
Old 22 February 2010, 22:40   #92
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
Certainly i would like to give it a try and compare though. real A1200 and a PC running WinUAE are still big space hoggers,
That Acer Revo PC I linked to above fixes straight to the back of my TV where the wall bracket would normally go, that's a space saver

Granted the Minimig is small compared to a real Amiga 500 but like already mentioned you've then got to add the keyboard so it doesn't actually save that much space. I don't think you could use the space hog excuse when comparing a Minimig to a PC as we all know pc's can come in various sizes like the one linked to above, a laptop or even a netbook.

Quote:
and i doubt i will ever have/want a PC under my TV when i have other media devices there already.
On that same reason you wouldn't have a Minimig under your TV either then? I mean one extra unit is.....well...one extra unit.

Quote:
seuden - i appreciate the points you've made re: running winuae as an alternative, but some of us will do anything *not* to have PC for running Amiga stuff on (especially as i dont have a PC 'ready to go' for such usage)
I know people just don't want a PC but you'll need one for your Minimig, no? Well I suppose you could use your Amiga but then what would be the point of having a Minimig?

Please don't get me wrong I appreciate people will want a Minimig for whatever reason it's just that I cannot see anyone coming up with a good enough reason for me to spend out quite a bit of money.
Old 23 February 2010, 00:15   #93
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
That Acer Revo PC I linked to above fixes straight to the back of my TV where the wall bracket would normally go, that's a space saver
small/silent PCs are still pretty expensive.

Quote:
already mentioned you've then got to add the keyboard so it doesn't actually save that much space.
who needs the keyboard? if you are only games, use a WHDload version with CD32 patches... and if the WHD doesnt have that... add it!

also wireless keyboards are great space-savers.

Quote:
I don't think you could use the space hog excuse when comparing a Minimig to a PC as we all know pc's can come in various sizes like the one linked to above, a laptop or even a netbook.
i think you can when you look at the cost, as i mentioned above, for small/quiet PCs.

Quote:
On that same reason you wouldn't have a Minimig under your TV either then? I mean one extra unit is.....well...one extra unit.
the majority of PCs are considerably larger than minimig.

Quote:
I know people just don't want a PC but you'll need one for your Minimig, no?
no, i have a MacBook i can happily load up the files with.

Quote:
I cannot see anyone coming up with a good enough reason for me to spend out quite a bit of money.
the kind of pc setup you are talking about is 'quite a bit of money' if you dont have it already

i've yet to see WinUAE run as smoothly as a real amiga even adding things like 'powerstrip' and adjusting the hz accordingly, no matter what anyone says. This is why i say i'd like to see minimig in action before committing to anything - i could still be bitterly dissapointed, but i wont write it off if it has the functions it needs/deserves.
Old 23 February 2010, 00:33   #94
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
no, i have a MacBook i can happily load up the files with.
You have a MacBook you could easily turn into an Amiga 500 without spending a penny

I think we've touched upon most things that are going for and against the Minimig and like I said I understand if people want one then sure why shouldn't they go for it. It's just my own personal opinion that I just cannot see any real reason to get one when there are (also in my opinion) better alternatives.

If the Minimig was an exact replica of an A1200 then I'd snap one up but I can only ever see it getting as close to it as WinUAE is in terms of accuracy. Both are probably never going to be 100%
Old 23 February 2010, 16:55   #95
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
the kind of pc setup you are talking about is 'quite a bit of money' if you dont have it already
May cost a bit more, but it can also do much more than just run some amiga games.

I have a dual core Lenovo ITX system loaded with all kinds of emulators and it's great... I got it for just £90 on ebay (ex-display model in immaculate condition ).

Anyway i would never give up my real Amiga's for a MiniMig or any other Amiga emulator
Old 23 February 2010, 20:30   #96
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i can categorically say the macbook running e-uae does not compare to the real thing (it might be the right speed, and even be generally very close, but i'm talking performance in scrolling, and timing accurate stuff like running music editors). I have therefore serious reservations in believing a PC running winUAE can, since having tried Octamed etc on there, i know it can still lack.

The minimig, i have not tried, so i am giving it the benefit of the doubt if you will.
Old 23 February 2010, 21:30   #97
Allen1

The minimig is a great little device, there is no floppy drive to go wrong or stacks of disks to look through and it is silent. You can organise the files on the SD card using a program called "FATCleaner" and use a wireless mouse and keyboard so the actual unit can be mainly out of the way, you still need to connect a cabled joypad/joystick though unless someone knows of a wireless version (that would be absolutely Fantastic). This device is in my mind far superior to using a PC to play Amiga games on with the exception of WHDLoad versions, those are still better used with a real Amiga. Not everyone will like the minimig just as other folk don't care too much for using a PC or indeed an Xbox to play the games, it all comes down to individuals taste, the real Amiga wins hands down but I think the Xbox and minimig come joint second (wireless joypad on the Xbox is great).
Old 23 February 2010, 21:33   #98
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
the Xbox and minimig come joint second (wireless joypad on the Xbox is great).
you can do wireless joypad with UAE on the PS3/OSX/Windows as well
Old 23 February 2010, 21:47   #99
wizard66
FPGA Replay inside A590

The "Feeling" from a minimig is better then Winuae trust me, It will give you a real amiga feeling..
Old 23 February 2010, 21:55   #100
Thorham
Computer Nerd

For people who use their Amiga/WinUae for more than games, a Minimig is sadly not an option. Hopefully they'll expand it.