English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 10 April 2024, 12:24   #921
str0m

Just work on porting Metal Slug 2, that had terrible slowdown/low fps on OG hardware, no idea how it even got released in that state
Old 10 April 2024, 12:31   #922
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
That's an interesting one.

On triple buffers, you get a nice performance boost with them. And they are actually not difficult to implement.
The downside is, that you have a mask plane in for every normal plane. Means you actually double your BOB size requirements in RAM instead of adding one additional plane of mask data.

As with all things on the Amiga, it's a give and take.
You could possibly create your 4 plane mask on the fly from a 1 plane version, in 2 seperate D = A blits (EDIT. 3 blits, so a trade off of speed vs. memory)

Interleaved masks are also good for (say your last colour in the palette is white or very bright), you can just OR it to the screen to make a bob "flash" (when taking a hit etc..)
Old 10 April 2024, 12:34   #923
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Blitter Interrupts is certainly much easier and less complicated than Copper Blitting. There's the overhead of the interrupts, but then the blitter is running in parallel with the CPU and you're not wasting any other CPU cycles waiting for the blitter
Old 10 April 2024, 12:40   #924
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
damn I knew most of those tricks, except triple buffer (looks complex).

I also never tried interleaved, because most of the time I'm already cheating with bitplanes (if I know the layer has less than nb_colors/2, I manage to put all colors in low positions so I only have to blit a part of the bitplanes, not all).

But with games like Metal Slug, you can't use this, you have to full blit, so it would apply.

I heard of at least another trick: copper-driven blits, where the blits are controlled by copper (in COPDANG mode). But it means that you have fixed blits, you can't check when blit is over you have to know when it's over!! Never tried it, but doing that avoids to wait for blitter in CPU. Just put the blit values in copper list and enjoy... in theory

Another trick I saw in Shaun Southern code is to pre-compute all blits in a list, then fire a blitter-interrupt chain. Each part of the chain sets the new blit. Also pretty constraining, but less constraining. Same benefit: CPU never waits for blitter except after the final blit. Given the speed of the games the guy can code, I'd say it's good. But not very flexible.
blitter by copper is useful if you have interleaved, otherwise you'' have a lot of overhead. On a regular OCS/ECS, I won't use blitter interrupts because it is very slow to get into and out of it!

Since this game is also very taxking on CPU I would spent a lot of time to use as less instruction as possible since you have to access to a very busy Chip Mem
Old 10 April 2024, 12:42   #925
sandruzzo

@DanScott

Very well programmed BLITTER via Copper, is the way to go. With some precalculated Copperlist, you can speed up things a lot- What you need to do it is only changing copperjump address!
Old 10 April 2024, 12:43   #926
sandruzzo

We can also use less wider actual screen are like 288x240 or 256x240 or like that. You will gain a lot of DMA cicles...
Old 10 April 2024, 12:44   #927
sandruzzo

Triple buffer requires 1MB of Chipmem...
Old 10 April 2024, 12:55   #928
x-vision

I can't believe there is already a great for port of Metal Slug for a simple Atari STE, and people here saying it needs AGA and 030

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 April 2024, 12:57   #929
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-vision View Post
I can't believe there is already a great for port of Metal Slug for a simple Atari STE, and people here saying it needs AGA and 030

[ Show youtube player ]

Wonderfull. Maybe a little bit of Fast will help a lot!
Old 10 April 2024, 12:58   #930
Old_Bob
BiO-sanitation Battalion

Quote:
I heard of at least another trick: copper-driven blits, where the blits are controlled by copper (in COPDANG mode). But it means that you have fixed blits, you can't check when blit is over you have to know when it's over!! Never tried it, but doing that avoids to wait for blitter in CPU. Just put the blit values in copper list and enjoy... in theory.
This can work pretty well. I've used this technique in a couple of test programs and the overhead for writing the copper list is tiny. If i was to write Tapper all over again, I'd probably do that way

If I was doing the engine for AGA Metal Slug, i think I'd do (almost) everything in a chunky pixel buffer in Fast RAM. It would also be possible to execute a copper list with further blitting in to the frame buffer bitplanes once the C2P step was complete for another useful contribution while the CPU is working in Fast RAM on the next frame.

A fast CPU would be needed, of course. The faster the better, I guess. Possibly a 50mhz 68030 might just be able to hack it?

Maybe another little test program is needed...

B
Old 10 April 2024, 13:37   #931
dreadnought

Quote:

[ Show youtube player ]
It's a great achievement by @masteries, but it's not really a port...kinda remix more like.
Old 10 April 2024, 14:54   #932
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:

[ Show youtube player ]

It's so easy that at least 5 people already ported that version to amiga.
Old 10 April 2024, 17:19   #933
sandruzzo

Do we need Metal slug on Amiga?
Old 10 April 2024, 18:04   #934
jotd
This cat is no more

Do we need Amiga?
Old 10 April 2024, 18:11   #935
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
It's so easy that at least 5 people already ported that version to amiga.
I think your dry humor is a bit lost here, but I surely appreciate it
Old 10 April 2024, 18:58   #936
sandruzzo

Quote:
Do we need Amiga?
Good Point! Mind you...
Old 10 April 2024, 22:16   #937
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Do we need Amiga?
If I hadn't held my tongue I'd have beaten you to it.

:-D
Old 11 April 2024, 01:01   #938
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
It's a great achievement by @masteries, but it's not really a port...kinda remix more like.
Not to mention it actually uses an actual advantage the ST(e) has over the Amiga (yeah, I know - the shock for some people, right ): the ability to access much more GFX RAM with the ST Blitter.

The requirements have gone down somewhat, but I believe you still need 4MB of ST-RAM for the latest version of this port, which would translate into needing 4MB of Chip RAM.

It's a great example of using a system well for sure. The 'interlacing' the whole game to get more colours trick is done very well too.
Old 11 April 2024, 04:18   #939
sandruzzo

With 1mb of chipmem and some fastram, maybe we can help the blitter with cpu aid! I think with Amiga it is possible to move a lots of bobs efficently and fast. There is no reason why it can't be done, expect the code itself that require a lot of time and more than one coder
Old 11 April 2024, 06:29   #940
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
With 5 planes you can use some "special" interleaved bitmap:

- one of 3 planes
- one of 2 planes

So you can speed up blitting for little bobs: explosions, regular enemies, bullets, and so forth. So you can still have regulat 32 colors on screen.

Thats' 4
More or less that is what was happening in Powder