English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 06 June 2011, 10:32   #61
roy bates

ide just like to add that if you have a mediator its best to download and use mmcd 3.21 of elboxes site as this installs the libs properly for a 1200+mediator setup.
p.s dont use mmcd 2 with a warp+mediater setup on a 1200 as it will install the drivers and libs for a 3/4000 setup even if you tell it you have a 1200 if i make mistakes in posts please be gentle lol.
plus i dont think the timedemo is totally acurate as ive said to matthey because it plays back from harddrive at the speed of the drive if you adjust the buffers in workbenches toolbox to 120 you should see a difference as to when your playing the game as you will probably agree? thats why i wont use it as a benchmark but rarther a stress test for a ruff geusstamate as to what speed to expect
Old 06 June 2011, 14:37   #62
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
thanks matthey i shall give this a go later tonight and let you know how i got on i did have a copy of oxypatcher but i cant seem to find it oh well
There is also MuRedox if using Thor's Mu 68060.library and CyberPatcher if using the P5 68060.library. Oxypatcher's performance is still among the best but predates many accelerator boards. It may have it's share of bugs and issues. Thor still supports MuRedox if you find a bug.
Old 06 June 2011, 15:10   #63
zipper

Quote:
thanks matthey i shall give this a go later tonight and let you know how i got on i did have a copy of oxypatcher but i cant seem to find it oh well
Wouldn't say it's too difficult...

http://eab.whdownload.com/index.php?dir=%2FApp/Disk

- but don't know if it's v3.12 which needs openoxypport? v3.14 doesn't.

Last edited by zipper; 06 June 2011 at 15:16.
Old 06 June 2011, 15:23   #64
roy bates

thanks matthey and fitzsteve for your help ill try these out later if i find time.
i think this will all be down to how fast it can be moved to the voodoo as thats probably whats doing all the work anyway in gl so yes i think the 060 will be the bottleneck the specks of my system are as follows for anyone who is interested:
a1200 motherboard rev 1.a
mediator lt4
apollo 1260@100mhz with 64mb of 60ns ram
20 gb 7200rpm drive connected to a powerflyer set to pio4
samsung cdrw
cd drive
voodoo 3 3000 pci card
10/100 ethernet card
tv card
sb128 soundcard
all in a modified powertower with 400watt atx powersupply plus extra cooling
and other amigas 1200 600 etc etc
Old 06 June 2011, 15:29   #65
roy bates

thanks zipper but how do i get it its asking for a user name and password or am i doing something wrong
btw matthey when the demo goes into water on mine it dont crash it just slows down to about half speed then speeds up again when its out off the water i just put it down to needing more processor time

Last edited by roy bates; 06 June 2011 at 15:41. Reason: i needed to edit it
Old 06 June 2011, 17:50   #66
roy bates

i havent adjusted any libs yet but i have adjusted the stack in the quake2 icon from 800000 to 2500000 and the buffer in warp3d to 8mb which has made it playable in 640 by 480 16bit which for me had the knockon effect that it made it more stable and the stuttering ingame has halfed ide say i would also say this probably plays at full speed in uae under software i havent tried it so i cant confirm it
Old 06 June 2011, 19:09   #67
zipper

Quote:
thanks zipper but how do i get it its asking for a user name and password or am i doing something wrong
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ht=file+server
Old 06 June 2011, 21:03   #68
roy bates

holy crap zipper thats a lot of usefull software,i wish ide seen it a long time ago how long have peaple been uploading for? but seriously holy crap wow keep it alive guys.
Old 07 June 2011, 10:10   #69
roy bates

ok iive installed oxypatcher and thats done the trick thanks zipper there is a 2 times speed up in game in comparison it plays at about the same speed as a low end ppc board at about 160mhz yes you did read that write and the stuttering has gone plus as a bonus for me q1 wow its full speed and when it goes through water there is no slow down ive tried this game with the following addons rogue hipnotic and yes malice to be honest i wish i could make a video for you guys anyway ill addon the extra packs for q2 later i dident try the libs from matthey in the end as they are for p5 boards.
p.s when i say full speed its around 30-35 fps on average for q1 and 21-25 fps for q2 visually so ide that was playerable my wife was shocked yes my wife!!! so ive come to reason it was the mmu and would like to thank everyone here for helping me find the software i needed
Old 07 June 2011, 17:32   #70
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Just a gentle nudge roy, there is an edit button for your posts heheheh back to back posts are a bit yuck and if your anything like me I hate typeing cos I cant spell but take your time a bit, use some ,.!? puncuation marks plz makes reading a bit easier .

actual our server is only a few years old

oh and post as often as u can, Yay & ribbits
Old 07 June 2011, 21:03   #71
matthey
Banned

@roy bates
I'm surprised that setting the stack and Warp3D buffer in Q2 made a difference in speed. Not having enough stack could cause the stuttering but more is NOT faster. Increasing the Warp3D buffer should only be faster in indirect mode which Hyperion has deprecated. Q1 uses direct mode. I don't have Q2 (if you have a link to where I can dl it then PM me) so I can't say about that. If it is using indirect then I would recommend installing the new Warp3D.library because it's a lot faster with indirect mode. I didn't expect such a large improvement from Oxypatcher either. Q1 doesn't use many missing instructions on the 68060 and neither do the Warp3D libs. Oxypatcher is mostly for older code that is compiled for the 68881/68882 FPU. A few missing instructions do sometimes slip through with some compilers though. It sounds like everything is working pretty well and fast. I would still try the W3D libs I sent. They fix some memory trashing bugs with Z-buffers and free some memory that wasn't freed on exit before. Faster IS always better with these types of games too. You can always revert back if there is a problem.
Old 08 June 2011, 10:58   #72
roy bates

@matthey
sorry for the missunderstanding im just going by the way it feels to play which is important to me. i think a game is playable at about 15 to 20fps and im not talking about the fps that anyone would get from a time demo lets face it would you be able to play it.
on mine the nail gun looks/sounds like a minigun.
anyway as for quake 2 i got from amigakit but be aware the 68k installer is NOT on the disk but they kindly sent it to me in a email and i would like to add they did not know it wasent on the cd .
but yeah ide imagine that it would not be playable on a 060@50 mhz.
oxypatcher also uses the mmu as far as i know as well as fixing instructions traps.
erm q2 has 3 options in the gui that i think will affect the game directly the options are as follows:
1 software (dont use slow as hell)
2 minigl (ok if you have the hardware AND a fast 060)
3 minigl no lru (same as above)
ide say dont go above 640 by 480 on q2.
i would also like to say a big thankyou to fitsteve and amigakit
i think fitsteve posted a video of the 68k version of q2 on youtube (please correct me if im wrong) thats why i bought it in the first place
also hyperion did the conversion for ppc and 68k machines on the amiga but why oh why dident hyperion put BOTH versions on the cd. come on hyperion not every amiga owner has a ppc or amiga one why advertise it AND then NOT put it on the cd??? sure AFTER you buy it you get a code to download the 68k version but WHY do that.if someone has already paid for the game shoudnt it already be on the disk WITH the other versions.come on hyperion you know it makes sense .
im not flaming hyperion they did a great job on the conversion.
but for gods sake if you advertise both versions then PUT both versions on the cd.
Old 08 June 2011, 11:16   #73
roy bates

oh sorry the LOWEST specs for the 68k version are:-060 based amiga with 64mb of ram AND warp3d AND a voodoo card AND ahi/paula this game will not run on aga amigas as far as i know .
it works alot like q1 in blitzquake.
nad yes these ARE the lowest specs.
maybe im just lucky/fortunate to be able to play it on mine
or mad you diside
Old 08 June 2011, 11:29   #74
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Wow, I'm shocked a Video of mine inspired someone to buy something

Have fun!

Steve.
Old 08 June 2011, 11:37   #75
roy bates

@fitzteve
thanks mate just a question was it smooth on a 66mhz amiga?please comment.
as i think it should be playable on @mattheys machine
Old 08 June 2011, 11:43   #76
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
@fitzteve
thanks mate just a question was it smooth on a 66mhz amiga?please comment.
as i think it should be playable on @mattheys machine
I only ever tried it on 50mhz 060, it was before I actually got an upgraded 060 that I made the Video.

My Towered A1200 is now setup only to run OS4.1 due to the way I have PCI cards setup but at some point I'm going to strip out the Tower and test my new G-Rex PCI, when I do that I'll check out the 68k version on my upgraded Blizzard, it goes up to 72mhz

Steve.
Old 08 June 2011, 11:43   #77
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I dont think hyperion did advertise the 68k version as it was more of an optional extra (log into your hyperion account) after the game came out on ppc. Concidering few 68k amigas at the time would run it really great and was more for the emulation crowd where it shoots off at 200 fps in uae
Old 08 June 2011, 11:54   #78
roy bates

@mad-matt
well on there site it says in the specs:-
(correct me if im wrong) requires a 68060 "or" PPC
and goes on to discribe the hardware needed run the game on a 68k machine which gives you the impression that is what you will get on cd and this is on there site.
it dont say you will need the code for the actual installer have a look and see plus amigakit qoutes the same info.
btw they dont state that the 68k version is for aue it really is amiga hardware there discribing not emulated on pc
as ive said in a post already why would you need the code for the installer shouldent it be for (updates)

Last edited by roy bates; 08 June 2011 at 12:11. Reason: trying to make sense
Old 08 June 2011, 12:27   #79
roy bates

think of it this way if "clickboom" hadent done the conversion for amiga even though it was as slow as hell on a high end amiga of that time peaple still went out and bought it. and we would probably be not having this conversation now if everyone had the attitude that just because they think it wont run on amiga even though they did the conversion lets not bother putting it on the cd but hell lets give them the specs for it anyway attitude.oh well they can download it with the supplied code as a novelty i dont think so.
Old 08 June 2011, 13:24   #80
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
It didnt exist when the cd was mastered. It was an extra that came out after as it was requested after lots of whining from the 5 people that had fully loaded 68k only machines at the time. Im sure they could have made a new cd, but there still trying to sell the first run copies they made for ppc !.

Its not even a big ieeue is it after all your 9 years late to the lets play Quake 2 on amiga party. It was something of a milesone on the amiga back then, but noone cares now. Your the last player to try to enjoy this gae on a 68k Amiga