Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by masteries View Post
Probably only one person worked on it,

like Final Fight version for Amiga and ST,
that was programmed by a single guy,

in a tight deadline
4 people worked on SF2 for US GOLD.

The coder, 2 "graphic artists" lol, and a musician (dave lowe).
Old 08 May 2024, 11:16   #42
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
Manuals are printed before games are completed though, it wasn't unknown for the system requirements to increase at the last minute. Multiple reviews said it was 1 Meg only, and I've a feeling I've read that the ST version was 1 Meg only, in which case the Amiga one is bound to be, especially if 32 colours rather than 16.

In fact - https://www.mobygames.com/game/6239/...6/cover-55803/
Street Fighter 2 is a 1mb game. as is the ST version.
Old 08 May 2024, 11:18   #43
jotd
This cat is no more

when I bought it I thought it was an okay job and played a lot. Not sure that anyone in 2024 can do much better, specially non-professional as capcom wouldn't allow a commercial product.

For US Gold it was above average.

And don't mention Shadow Fighter "engine". Even with the source code of both games it would be very hard to merge them.
Old 08 May 2024, 11:32   #44
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Found on Akira Nishitani Twitter :

"Capcom had a lot of development tools. They had a development machine where you could display the character, watch their moves, and use the lever and buttons to make adjustments and save. It was like a big fighting game maker."

So for such big games, it can be seen that they use some hyper advanced tools like Scorpion Engine..... Just to generate parts of the game program data....
Old 08 May 2024, 16:20   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
According to the manual it is a 512kb game.
On which page does the manual mention the RAM requirements for the Amiga version?
Old 08 May 2024, 16:43   #46
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
SSF2 redone for the Vampire V4 SA and add-on Amiga Vampire V4 boards would look amazing If done right.
I completely agree, even on lesser hardware.
Old 08 May 2024, 19:13   #47
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
On which page does the manual mention the RAM requirements for the Amiga version?
Well since there isn't written anywhere in the manual nor in the box that it recquires 1Mb to work, I thought it was implied that this was a stock A500 game.
Old 08 May 2024, 19:29   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Well since there isn't written anywhere in the manual nor in the box that it recquires 1Mb to work, I thought it was implied that this was a stock A500 game.
I'm pretty sure you could find the system requirements on the box (usually they are on the sides, not on the front or back of the box).
Old 08 May 2024, 19:38   #49
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Just dug out my copy and the only thing written on the bottom of the box is CBM AMIGA A500/P, A600, A1000, A2000 SERIES. Nothing on the sides at all. There's no mention of it requiring 1mb anywhere as far as I can see (even though it definitely requires 1mb).
Old 08 May 2024, 21:14   #50
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
when I bought it I thought it was an okay job and played a lot. Not sure that anyone in 2024 can do much better, specially non-professional as capcom wouldn't allow a commercial product.

For US Gold it was above average.
Yup.
Definitely not the worst port.
It was sluggish and all, but graphics always looked good enough for me, and back in the day people was more forgiving regarding framerates.
Also, on A1200 it plays a bit faster, and the feeling is slightly better.

But then again, for those who prefer better gameplay over graphics, there is "the new challengers", that looks not so good, but really plays well.

And yes, I also think there is a minor chance that this would work with only 512kb. It was released in time when 1MB was pretty much considered as a standard for A500 (even it was an upgrade)
Old 08 May 2024, 21:42   #51
Retro1234
Phone Homer

It was ok at the time - but we have all played SF2 now and it doesn't really play like SF2. World Warriors was a bit boring anyway though.
Old 08 May 2024, 23:48   #52
vulture

I think the biggest problems (in this order) of SF2 were:

a. Gameplay was very different. The way you had to pull the moves, the priorities, the hitboxes and collision detection were way off.

b. Many missing animation frames. Personally, I could forgive that if gameplay was significantly more accurate.
Old 09 May 2024, 00:08   #53
oscar_ates

Why none of the Amiga fighting games were satisfying? I really enjoyed from mortal kombat ports on my amiga only ,pity thing was missing background animations
Old 09 May 2024, 10:33   #54
vulture

For me, both Shadow Fighter and Fighting Spirit are excellent fighting games. SSF2 as well if you overlook the bad gfx reduction
Old 09 May 2024, 11:38   #55
demether

the body blows serie is good also. But my favorite are shadow fighter and fighting spirit.
Old 09 May 2024, 15:29   #56
Brick Nash
Prototron

I didn't think US Gold SF2 was that bad. My issue with it was that everything was so jerky it made it hard to judge the combat, but apart from that it played ok in a box ticking way.

I also cut it some slack because Gordon Fong was the sole programmer on the game and IIRC this was his very first job, and he was only something like 20 years old at the time. I quite like the music renditions too, becasue they are garish and jaggy with off-notes, and I appreciate that lo-fi aspect of what was probably a big guessing game for Dave Lowe.

I think a conversion of Champion Edition for 1MB OCS would be interesting. Cut down obviously. IIRC OCS can only see three buttons on a controller device, but I could be wrong. The usual problems of a single pixel layer for both Bobs and backgrounds to get a decent colour amount will still be there, and masses of hitbox combinations to work out might be overwhelming.

Street Fighter 2 may simply be too big a game to be done as an unlicensed spare time hobby project.
Old 09 May 2024, 15:33   #57
sokolovic

I think the CD32 pad works on OCS so this would'nt be an issue.
Old 09 May 2024, 15:51   #58
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Just dug out my copy and the only thing written on the bottom of the box is CBM AMIGA A500/P, A600, A1000, A2000 SERIES. Nothing on the sides at all. There's no mention of it requiring 1mb anywhere as far as I can see (even though it definitely requires 1mb).
I guess that's why they added the sticker to the box (see Mobygames) later.
Old 09 May 2024, 16:16   #59
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
If you had an ECS Amiga (A500+/A600) you could run the game at 60Hz by pressing A on the title screen which made the game infinitely better for those of us in PAL land (as long as your display was fine with it).
Old 10 May 2024, 23:21   #60
albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
If you had an ECS Amiga (A500+/A600) you could run the game at 60Hz by pressing A on the title screen which made the game infinitely better for those of us in PAL land (as long as your display was fine with it).

I tried this yesterday it didn't work, but forcing ntsc via relockik work fine.
As i said i played sf2 with ps2 joypad and was surprise how easy pulling special moves it was, plus the game look quite ok, definitely better than in my teenager memories. the graphics are not that bad and the jerky scrolling is not the worst i've seen on amiga. I start to wonder if SF2 is indeed better than his sequel.