English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 July 2010, 16:06   #61
highrise

hey guys

here is an update. With some help from the guys over at CM0102 I managed to get hold of a data exporter:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X735ID6A

which you can use to export data from the data files provided at the CM0102 site. They have team data from June 2010. With a bit of luck I should be able to use this to create the name files, and we can move on the rest from there.
Old 21 July 2010, 16:13   #62
seuden
uber cool demi god

Awesome work highrise
Old 21 July 2010, 19:51   #63
highrise

ok guys, here's the score. I've managed to get the data into a manageable format, and I have gone through all the squads and trimmed the teams down a bit so it should fit in. I've also picked out the 170 or so foreigners that would go into the 'foreign' section - this is basically world stars and wonderkids etc, the top 170 foreign players based on potential ability. It works out pretty well. I've also cut out the unnecessary data so I am pretty close to having a decent player database to put into the system without the need of the editor. I think I might be able to look at the source code and use the 'import / export' player routine to help me import this data.

However, if you guys want this finished then I'd like some help on the manual side of things. It would be good if I could get the file you have already started on, and if you guys can sort out the clubs then that would mean I could bring the players in more easily. As for the staff, I have a list of all those as well, I can use it all to work out what names to go into the system.

All in all it looks pretty promising but like I said, I don't want to have to do all this myself...
Old 21 July 2010, 20:20   #64
highrise

basically if one of you guys can go through all the teams and change them round, putting in the grounds, kits, capacities etc, and working out which teams to swap with which, and then let me know how many players are in each team, it should be possible to import all the players somehow.
Old 21 July 2010, 20:50   #65
seuden
uber cool demi god

I'm not sure how far GH is so I'll wait for him to comment great work!!
Old 21 July 2010, 23:25   #66
Graham Humphrey

Firstly, I'd like to say what superb work this is and big thanks!

Secondly, I've only got the Premier League sides done still - I have started doing the First Division teams but have got a little stuck trying to sort it out the way I wanted to do it. Also I haven't changed the ground capacities yet either but obviously that's easy to do.

If you want me to upload my current work then I will do so - I'll archive it up and upload it to the Zone.
Old 22 July 2010, 00:20   #67
highrise

if you want I will see what I can do in terms of getting the teams done in the right way.
Old 22 July 2010, 00:59   #68
highrise

ok, I'm using 93/94 end of season I believe. Anyway, so far so good, using this year's league. premier league can go with these changes.

leeds to wigan
Q.P.R to W.B.A
Ipswich to fulham
norwich to wolves
C.Palace to Stoke C
coventry to Bolton W
sheff wed to b'mingham
wimbledon to blackpool
southampton to sunderland
Old 22 July 2010, 01:13   #69
highrise

for the championship - had to drop some teams obviously which is always a shame, did it mainly on the basis of them having long names I couldn't fit.

Stoke to hull
W.B.A to Q.P.R
Wolves to leeds
Oldham to N'wich
Bolton to P.N.E (best of a bad lot)
Swindon to Swansea
Notts C to Watford
Southend to ipswich
Tranmere to Reading
Charlton to coventry
Barnsley to cardiff
Leicester to c.palace
Port Vale to leicester
Sunderland to burnley
Old 22 July 2010, 01:30   #70
highrise

league one - a few compromises. I hate having to drop teams but I guess if you want your team in you can swap one over and use the editor yourselves. It's mainly based on fitting them into the text.

York to D&R
Hull to MKD
Luton to Y'vil
Oxford to Oldham
Watford to Exeter
Swansea to Notts C
Reading to Walsall
Grimsby to Leyton
Cardiff to Swindon
Burnley to Brighton
Bradford to Charlton
Blackpool to Plymouth
Bristol C to Tranmere
Stockport to Sheff Wed
Rotherham to S'hampton
Birmingham to Colchester
Old 22 July 2010, 01:53   #71
highrise

and finally league 2 which was a nightmare. Just went for the teams that didn't need hyphens and had reasonable shorter names. It actually works out in the end.

Exeter to Bury
Fulham to Burton
Preston to oxford
Torquay to torquay
Chester to Lincoln
Wrexham to P Vale
Leyton O to M'cambe
Plymouth to Gill'ham
Brighton to bradford
Rochdale to hereford
Scarboro to southend
Cambridge to rotherham
Doncaster to stevenage
Huddersfld to stockport
Colchester to accrington
Scunthorpe to cheltenham
Hartlepool to N'Hampton
Old 22 July 2010, 02:07   #72
highrise

when you come to change the grounds you might need to do a bit of swapping of teams with the same number of letters. For example I found that it was better to put S'derland in place of Wimbledon and Bolton W in place of Southampton as you could then put 'Reebok' in place of 'The Dell' - about the only thing that would fit
Old 22 July 2010, 05:13   #73
highrise

hi guys

I've been giving it some more thought and I think if you want to get this done then there will have to be a bit of rather boring data input from your side. Basically, I can set the thing up so that you have all the names you need, a nice list with all the players and their stats you can put in, and all fitting into the system.

However I can't access the CMED source properly, and even if I could it would not be able to change some of the fundamental things like the formations etc. So to get the thing to work properly, it looks like you're going to have to change the players manually, because if you do, you can work by shirt number and position, and then when the computer does the formations and so on, it will balance out.

Reckon you can do it? it's about 1500 players. As I said, I'll have cut out a lot of stuff for you by making all the name available but other than that, I think it might be tricky.
Old 22 July 2010, 13:30   #74
highrise

another update - if I could just get a little more of the source, then I think I could generate the .cma archive files which I originally designed to allow you to load teams in. They allow you to create a player archive file which holds up to 30 players. So I could use the data already on file to auto-generate archives for each team. You would still have to load each player in individually but it could do the trick.

The problem is, the source for this, the part of CMEd which would tell me how these archives are made, seems to be corrupted in the file I got to load.
Old 22 July 2010, 13:42   #75
seuden
uber cool demi god

Hey Allan, I've pm'd Paul asking if he has a copy of the source, will let you know how I get on.

Btw, do you ever sleep?
Old 22 July 2010, 17:03   #76
BrooksterMax

I'm following this thread from a distance with can't wait to see the output from it. I remember the original CM eds back in the day, so great to see the original authors here. Well done to all those involved, some serious hard work being done here!

I remember manually editing the pc versions when I was much younger, many hours with a newspaper pull out before the beginning of a season
Old 22 July 2010, 20:03   #77
highrise

ok, well maybe if we can get the source from paul we can make it work. My plan is to see how the data is stored in the CMEd player archive system, and then use a bit of modern code to generate archive files from the database of each team in the game. This is not ideal but it will allow you to load new players over the old ones one by one, and if the names are all in the system then it should match them up automatically. I hope so anyway

as for sleeping, I sleep when I'm tired haha. Sometimes I sleep 8 hours like a normal person, other times I just fit it in as and when. I mostly work from home so I don't have a regular routine.
Old 23 July 2010, 05:34   #78
highrise

hey guys

Good news, I heard from Paul! so now the old CMED team is back on the case hahaha.

So basically, it should be something we can do - use the current data to make Cmed Archive files (.cma files which can hold up to 30 players). Using these we can create all the teams needed and you can then import the players you want. I think!
Old 23 July 2010, 09:23   #79
seuden
uber cool demi god

Hehe, that's awesome!
Old 23 July 2010, 10:49   #80
Graham Humphrey

Nice - good work!