English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 February 2017, 01:27   #61
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
It shouldnt be CPU dependant.. it should be possible to have completely separate USB3 controller chips on the mobo.
It is possible to have a separate USB3 controller chip on the motherboard but it defeats the purpose of having a SoC (it means you have the wrong SoC) and gives partially duplicate functionality. It appears the P-5020 does only support USB 2.0 in hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/fact-sheets/QP5020FS.pdf
Two USB 2.0 Full-Speed controllers with integrated PHY
http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/...s/QP5020FS.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
They dont cost much these days.. Then again, it is at least possible to add USB3 ports with a PCI board...
Something like this...
http://m.miniinthebox.com/sv/usb-3-0...t_p561221.html
Entire pci card with usb3 controller and ports is ~€14

Ill leave the topic of "driver hell" to someone else ;-)
The best choices are either many drivers to take advantage of cheap commodity hardware or support standardized hardware which only needs one driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marley View Post
Amiga X5000
install issues of OS 4.1 Final Edtion, any body got the same problem?
can't find Hard Drive only DVD been on it for days...........
It would probably be more productive to ask the AmigaOS 4 fan boys on Amigaworld.net.

http://amigaworld.net/
Old 26 February 2017, 05:10   #62
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
It would probably be more productive to ask the AmigaOS 4 fan boys on Amigaworld.net.

http://amigaworld.net/
cough http://www.amigans.net
http:http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/
Old 26 February 2017, 10:23   #63
wXR

Wake me up when MorphOS and AmigaOS 4 are no longer proprietary
Old 27 February 2017, 12:59   #64
idrougge

Use AROS and enjoy!
Old 27 February 2017, 17:03   #65
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Use AROS and enjoy!
especially that i think that there is even some support for usb3 or its being worked on. however its outside of my scope of interest, and i could even check on things like that. however multicore support its receivin just now may be even more interesting.
Old 27 February 2017, 22:22   #66
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
especially that i think that there is even some support for usb3 or its being worked on. however its outside of my scope of interest, and i could even check on things like that. however multicore support its receivin just now may be even more interesting.
Yep. It looks like AROS has USB 3 support.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/P...OS_USB_support

It also looks like AROS will be the first AmigaOS like OS to have SMP (they already were the first to have 64 bit support). That will really ratchet up the pressure on A-EON and Hyperion. AROS PC hardware could end up with 10x the performance and 1/10 of the cost of AmigaOS 4 hardware. Qualcomm, who is heavily invested in ARMv8 which is very similar to PPC, could drop support for PPC at any time too. Where is the breaking point of the PPC fan boys and faithful? I don't know but I think we will soon find out.
Old 27 February 2017, 22:35   #67
wawa

Quote:
That will really ratchet up the pressure on A-EON and Hyperion.
i doubt. the remaining os4 customership will not consider aros or morphos an alternative no matter what. natural selection left them with the most stubborn. and neither it looks like aeon or hyperion have been left with means or abilities to even notice any pressure put upon them. either of them, they hardly even check their mail, no matter whether by customers or attorneys. i do not expect they would be able to improve the kernel, without even talking of any dramatic progress. all you can expect are cosmetic patches to some oldskool software they picked up from the trash or another replacement for some simple gui classes.
Old 27 February 2017, 22:39   #68
wawa

btw matt, there has been some talk on improvements to poseidon on aros list. they even seriously considered if it would be handicap for 68k users if anything changed in interfaces. which i doubt, since ther is almost no notable third party usb classes and aros poseidon isnt compatible to the genuine 68k one by some member in a struct, according to what ive been told by chris.

it is likely now on hold anyway before thes are exhausted with their multicore stuff..
Old 27 February 2017, 23:32   #69
matthey
Banned

Quote:
i doubt. the remaining os4 customership will not consider aros or morphos an alternative no matter what. natural selection left them with the most stubborn. and neither it looks like aeon or hyperion have been left with means or abilities to even notice any pressure put upon them. either of them, they hardly even check their mail, no matter whether by customers or attorneys. i do not expect they would be able to improve the kernel, without even talking of any dramatic progress. all you can expect are cosmetic patches to some oldskool software they picked up from the trash or another replacement for some simple gui classes.
Yep. A-EON is relying on everything to line up like continued support of usable PPC processors (already down to one embedded supplier who is heavily invested in ARMv8 instead) and one developer Hyperion (who already would have been bankrupt without a bailout). They do not control their own destiny, have nothing to fall back to and these extremely narrow moat businesses usually do not last long in the tech industry. I have strong doubts Hyperion will be able to add SMP and 64 bit to AmigaOS 4 without serious compatibility problems. I tried to get A-EON to diversify into the larger 68k market and proliferate their APIs but it looks like the window of opportunity is closing for them.

Quote:
btw matt, there has been some talk on improvements to poseidon on aros list. they even seriously considered if it would be handicap for 68k users if anything changed in interfaces. which i doubt, since ther is almost no notable third party usb classes and aros poseidon isnt compatible to the genuine 68k one by some member in a struct, according to what ive been told by chris.
I have a working input.device which is compatible to Poseidon and USB input. I was considering trying to port the AROS USB back to AmigaOS but I lost interest when my hope for a 68k comeback died.
Old 27 February 2017, 23:55   #70
wawa

Quote:
I have strong doubts Hyperion will be able to add SMP and 64 bit to AmigaOS 4 without serious compatibility problems.
they think, or rather want to make the users think that they have gathered a notable pool of "native" software, which they dont want to "abandon", which is aactually a proper excuse not to do anything. think of all the work invested in thousands of ppc sdl ports on os4 depot becoming uselsess all the sudden ..

Quote:
I tried to get A-EON to diversify into the larger 68k market and proliferate their APIs but it looks like the window of opportunity is closing for them.
please not! lets not call them to pollute the genuine system with their concepts. there may be some alright guys like thor or olsen, but even if they are some sort of autorities they are being only associates for some reason led by their noses. id still rather see people like toni, gunnar or even aros team to contribute.

Quote:
I have a working input.device which is compatible to Poseidon and USB input. I was considering trying to port the AROS USB back to AmigaOS but I lost interest when my hope for a 68k comeback died.
aros trident runs on aros 68k. it shouldnt be a rocket science to get it compiled for amiga. especially new toolchains are being worked on. the problem are device drivers. deneb for instance has not been opened up.
Old 28 February 2017, 12:25   #71
dirkies
Zone Friend

did anyone here buy one?
For that price you must be really a wealthy Amiga hardcore fan...
Old 28 February 2017, 12:33   #72
jdog320

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
did anyone here buy one?
For that price you must be really a wealthy Amiga hardcore fan...

Even then, it ain't worth it spending $2k for a computer than someone will probably use for about less than a couple times a month. I could probably spend this money on an overclocked WinUAE/PPC powerhouse and plus I can actually use modern software. Even if it was $200-800 it's still not worth it. I'd just spend that money on A. a crazy fast amithlon rig or B. A standalone amiga board (if they're going to make one.)
Old 28 February 2017, 13:19   #73
Daedalus

It's amazing the assumptions some people make about others, seemingly based primarily on their own personal perspectives. Not every OS4 user is stubborn. Not every OS4 user only uses OS4 once or twice a month. Not every OS4 user is a PPC fanboy. Not every OS4 user uses it because it's got the "Amiga" name. Not every OS4 user is automatically against using MOS or AROS. Not every OS4 user is a Hyperion fanboy.

It's easy to throw generalisations around to make yourself feel better, but at the end of the day, no matter which "camp" (a silly, divisive term) you belong to, we're all scrabbling around in a teensy, tiny niche hobby that's so far off mainstream it's laughable. Or pathetic, depending on your point of view.
Old 28 February 2017, 13:36   #74
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkies View Post
did anyone here buy one?
one person in this very thread

i doubt it will become a popular choice, though´.
Old 28 February 2017, 19:52   #75
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
It's amazing the assumptions some people make about others, seemingly based primarily on their own personal perspectives. Not every OS4 user is stubborn. Not every OS4 user only uses OS4 once or twice a month. Not every OS4 user is a PPC fanboy. Not every OS4 user uses it because it's got the "Amiga" name. Not every OS4 user is automatically against using MOS or AROS. Not every OS4 user is a Hyperion fanboy.
Being banned and censored multiple times over on AmigaOS 4 fanboy forums (first time ever banned for me) for stating opinions they didn't like is just a perspective? I'm not the only one banned by the fanboy zealots either. I'm not saying all AmigaOS 4 users are fanboy zealots but they have taken control on several other Amiga sites which used to be general Amiga sites.

Quote:
It's easy to throw generalisations around to make yourself feel better, but at the end of the day, no matter which "camp" (a silly, divisive term) you belong to, we're all scrabbling around in a teensy, tiny niche hobby that's so far off mainstream it's laughable. Or pathetic, depending on your point of view.
How much more pathetic then are those who tightly grip ancient antiquated code with little value for their minority elitist camps while trying to block other larger camps?
Old 28 February 2017, 20:04   #76
dirkies
Zone Friend

Although I have no problem with people continuing with a niche platform using the Amiga name, the price just isn't realistic these days. For that price you can buy a monster gaming PC light-years ahead of what Aeon can offer. You don't get any bang for your buck.
It just doesn't offer anything a modern PC cannot offer, and winuae allows you to taste true Amiga nostalgia, for free moreover.
But if they sell enough to get break even, I won't complain. After all they don't act like a certain coffeeboy
Old 28 February 2017, 21:38   #77
Daedalus

Quote:
Being banned and censored multiple times over on AmigaOS 4 fanboy forums (first time ever banned for me) for stating opinions they didn't like is just a perspective? I'm not the only one banned by the fanboy zealots either. I'm not saying all AmigaOS 4 users are fanboy zealots but they have taken control on several other Amiga sites which used to be general Amiga sites.
Obviously there are a lot of fanboys, but if you don't like them, why bother interacting with them? I'm a MorphOS user but I don't bother going near Morphzone because of the attitudes of a few MOS fanboys who are prolific there. Likewise, I'm rarely on Amigans.net, and I gave up on Amiga.org years ago because of the mass intolerance from seemingly every side. I'm not banned from any of them though, I just don't want to interact with such people.

Quote:
How much more pathetic then are those who tightly grip ancient antiquated code with little value for their minority elitist camps while trying to block other larger camps?
Quite a bit more pathetic IMHO. For a start, it may be antiquated IP worth very little, but it is worth a little. And people fighting over it who have zero ownership or say in it is an utter waste of time and energy and makes for nothing more than pointless arguments over hypothetical situations. It's no better than fighting over whose imaginary God is best, which is pretty pathetic.
Old 01 March 2017, 00:47   #78
wawa

Quote:
Obviously there are a lot of fanboys,
myself i voluntarily resigned from posting on amigans as soon as i noticed my sole mentioning genuine amiga in constructive sense was considered trolling. meanwhile my account there must have been erased, im fine with it.

Quote:
It's no better than fighting over whose imaginary God is best, which is pretty pathetic.
right. but if you have emissaries of that imaginary god getting after you in the toilet, in order to remind you that you need to support (that means pay money for) their just cause, you might become less tolerant.

there has been amiga developer forum i (matt and others) have attended even though me not being able to help with too much, name of utilitybase. im urged to say that this was basically different.if the scene was laike this, we wouldnt have any divisions in first place, because everybody would accept that the other has his own projects and visions and try to help with it. meanwhile i have found similar attitude if not the same peace of mind on aros forums and dev ml.
Old 01 March 2017, 01:18   #79
Daedalus

Quote:
right. but if you have emissaries of that imaginary god getting after you in the toilet, in order to remind you that you need to support (that means pay money for) their just cause, you might become less tolerant.
True. Which is why I'm tired of these discussions, which seem to crop up every so often. It seems to me that there are emissaries from four different gods all trying to preach their god as the best god and put down the others. There certainly isn't just one, although worshippers of other Gods might see it that way.

Quote:
there has been amiga developer forum i (matt and others) have attended even though me not being able to help with too much, name of utilitybase. im urged to say that this was basically different.if the scene was laike this, we wouldnt have any divisions in first place, because everybody would accept that the other has his own projects and visions and try to help with it. meanwhile i have found similar attitude if not the same peace of mind on aros forums and dev ml.
Yep, dev forums tend to be a lot more tolerant and devoid of the religious element. There are exceptions of course, but it generally seems to be the mainstream forums that attract the sort of rubbish I'm talking about.