English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 April 2009, 08:40   #61
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pce_gamer View Post
is just ignorant. Or very fanboyish. Man.
"You" are calling "us" fanboyish? We "do not" say that ANY Amiga game is better than ANY and EVERY Nintendo game in a particular genre, but "you" and the rest of the Mario cult proclaim it as being "the best" platformer ever made over every other system, and you are calling "us" the Fanboys?

Nice try sunshine, on ya bike! Nintendo heads are Career fanboys! Its almost like a disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Indeed...
Some like Mario, some don't. Some like 'up 2 jump'™, some don't. Do you want to tell people what they should prefer? What do you really expect on an Amiga board. That everybody cheers in when you say 'Mario is the greatest platform series of all times'?
Recommend your favourites, try the ones of others, give an opinion about them, but cut that 'opinion = fact' stuff.
Pure words of wisdom from TCD! listen to this man, he makes complete and logical sense with NO bias present within

Last edited by blade002; 29 April 2009 at 08:46.
Old 29 April 2009, 10:09   #62
frikilokooo

@ pce_gamer

Are you PC-Engine fan?

because I would have much to say you
Old 29 April 2009, 11:25   #63
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
lilalurl: I would call that good collision detection, you ran into the side of him.
Sorry but I can't help seeing that I land on it (I don't like Mario enough to be considering a mushroom thingie from a game as a person)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pce_gamer View Post
lilalurl: Oh my god. You REALLY expect to land on that enemy at that angle!? You're been playing too much shitty/floaty/crappy generic platform games. Ahh, but ignorance is bliss I guess.
Why should I not expect to land on that enemy?

I would never pretend to be a platformer expert (I don't even consider it as one of my favorite genre), but besides the Amiga platform games I have played and finished: all 2D Castlevanias made since Rondo of Blood (except the last one on DS that I have not yet tried), the three Sparksters/Rocket knight games, Mischief Makers, many of the Ganbare Goemon games, the Sonic games on Megadrive and probably more others that I can't think of right now.

Also I have spent some time on Super Mario World and Yoshi Island and have never had that feeling of bad collision detection

What I see is that, except maybe the old Sonic games, I am not fond of platform games in which the main way of killing an enemy is jumping on its head, so perhaps I am not used to see myself dying when I don't see legitimate reasons to.
Old 29 April 2009, 11:30   #64
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Sorry lilalurl, but I also think that you didn't jump on its head, but bumped in its side. Not really a good example you gave there. Oh and it's pointless anyway
Old 29 April 2009, 11:37   #65
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
Sorry but I can't help seeing that I land on it (I don't like Mario enough to be considering a mushroom thingie from a game as a person)
Quote:
Hehe, I'm gonna crush you mushroom dude (or whatever you are called).

Do you often find yourself talking to inanimate vegetables?
Old 29 April 2009, 11:41   #66
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Technically a mushroom isn't a vegetable
Old 29 April 2009, 11:42   #67
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Split the thread again, we need to discuss this mushroom/vegetable topic elsewhere.
Old 29 April 2009, 11:45   #68
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Well, I think it is a good example even if it is probably not the most obvious.

I have zoomed in.

Anybody want to tell me I am not touching the enemy?

If you tell me I should not expect to kill it in such conditions, I don't see why I should expect to stand on this pipe then.

As I said in the three-screenshot post I believe some people managed to adapt to such things but some other people, including me cannot.
Old 29 April 2009, 11:48   #69
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

You went into the side of the mushroom and not on top. Also Mario still has a foot on that pipe, so he will not fall and if he did then part of his body would either be "over-lapping" or "in" the pipe..... or maybe just the top part of the pipe anyway
Old 29 April 2009, 11:49   #70
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Anyway i prefer Sonic
Old 29 April 2009, 11:53   #71
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
You went into the side of the mushroom and not on top.
Spot on PowerPie
Old 29 April 2009, 12:22   #72
stefcep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
What are you talking about. I grew up with the realism of a single buttoned joystick, which I was more than able to use for the 10 or 20 or so moves etc that you *could* do with it. The games were obviously designed in a way *NOT* to make them easy and to incorporate joystick difficulties to add an element of hardness to the games too. Although for some, this was impossible, so I must be one of many elitists who was able to master this We all know who wasn't

On another point, the gamepad with it's 14 or so buttons has obviously won most people over. Although it took me some time to master this device especially when you're used to a single buttoned joystick, it did eventually win me over but I still have a heart and prefer the joystick for playing a platformer or any other game on the Amiga, as it *is* the classic, correct and proper way to do it
The thing is that i have been playing Amiga platforming games via Winuae as well, using a a PC PS2 style control pad. Ofcourse you'd know the buttons and directional keys can be configured to do whatever you want them too. Hell you can even play Amiga games with an analogue thumb stick if you like. I took the next step and bought a genesis joypad, modified it so that one of its button was also up, so i could jump with the button rather than the up direction. And you know what? the Amiga games are soooo much more playable this way. In fact i have achieved my highest scores EVER this way, rather than with a one-buton joystick. It proves to me that playing with a one-button joystick is an unnecessary, frustrating hindrance, rather than a challenge. There's a difference, which I think you confuse: just beacsue a game is hard because the of the limitations of the control mechanism, dosen't make it a test of skill. Indeed its nothing but a source of frustration. But I think nostalgia is clouding people's judgement.
Old 29 April 2009, 12:28   #73
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Ok?
What would be the explanation for this?

Old 29 April 2009, 12:29   #74
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcep View Post
It proves to me that playing with a one-button joystick is an unnecessary, frustrating hindrance, rather than a challenge.
What does it prove? Ah yes, that you think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcep View Post
There's a difference, which I think you confuse: just beacsue a game is hard because the of the limitations of the control mechanism, dosen't make it a test of skill. Indeed its nothing but a source of frustration. But I think nostalgia is clouding people's judgement.
Can you imagine that someone might say that you are clouded by thinking that you own the ultimate platform gaming experience truth? Really, what's your problem man? Can't you accept there are other opinions than yours?

Edit : Oi Shoonay! Why don't you join the fun?
Old 29 April 2009, 12:31   #75
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Ok?
What would be the explanation for this?

Erm... i think you quite possibly may have just stuck 2 of the same pic together ... almost! the first pic you again went into the side/front of an enemy! (did you die?) and i am sure with the turtles you are supposed to jump on their shell... the collision is nothing worth mentioning as i have seen far worse in plenty of old and new games... this is good in comparison also are you not getting bored trying to find very tiny problems with Super Mario Bros? How long did this take you?
Old 29 April 2009, 12:41   #76
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

@stefcep

Am i the only one who has noticed you posting the same thing 3 times in this thread?
Old 29 April 2009, 12:42   #77
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
@stefcep

Am i the only one who has seen your same post 3 times already?
Nope and I still see them
Old 29 April 2009, 12:44   #78
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

maybe there is a bug here too and not just in the games were talking about
Old 29 April 2009, 12:48   #79
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
maybe there is a bug here too and not just in the games were talking about
Try to jump on the head of the posts PowerPie! Maybe they disappear
Old 29 April 2009, 12:50   #80
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Try to jump on the head of the posts PowerPie! Maybe they disappear
yeah and maybe i will get a gold coin out of it!