English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 15 October 2016, 11:39   #61
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Tested, I couldn't get DHCP work with Raodshow, but it worked with static IP. Tested with IP inside of DHCP range it worked, but still not not visible to other devices. Couldn't ping Amiga, even when it was 100% sure online and internet.

Turned my Amiga OS4 machine on, changed static IP to DHCP, worked just fine and it was visible to other devices.
The test you made with the "tcpdump" command showed that broadcast traffic does not reach the Amiga connected via WLAN and the ZyXEL device. DHCP relies upon broadcast traffic to be transmitted and received by the client (that would be the Amiga running Roadshow). This explains why DHCP did not work.

I am still puzzled why broadcast traffic does not reach your Amigas. It does not look like they are connected to your home router via a bridge which transmits IP datagrams (a "layer 2" bridge). It might rather be a tunnel which only transmits UDP datagrams and TCP data.

Quote:
Decided to be happy with current situation.
Well, it's your decision, of course.

Personally, I would be dissatisfied in the same situation. One ought to know how the home network works, and there should be no surprises such as the broadcast traffic issue.
Old 15 October 2016, 11:49   #62
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
If I buy Roadhow, will it display something like "This copy is registered to..."? I would be proud of it.
Thank you, I really appreciate this

However, my own laziness won out with regard to registration. The code to put the registration information into those parts of Roadshow which are found in the commercial version has to be written and tested. The distributor has to be able to use that code and build the distribution archive before it is sent to the customer.

That's a lot of work for a 25€ software package, and the reason why there is no registration pop-up to show that you paid for your copy of Roadshow.

Laziness aside, I rather spent that time on polishing the installation script, and writing the reference manual (which I'm reasonably certain more than 90% of the customers have never found the need to consult; the prose is also a bit dry, I'm afraid).

Last edited by Olaf Barthel; 15 October 2016 at 11:56.
Old 15 October 2016, 16:33   #63
nogginthenog
Amigan

I have been a happy Miami user for many years but 1 time out of 10 it gets stuck during the initial network connection. Only a reboot fixes it.

Friday I was ill at home, so I tried the demo of Roadshow and it works perfectly! It took 2 minutes to setup and get online. I prefer the file based configuration and it feels more Amiga-like than other tcp/ip stacks.

Yesterday I bought the full version. Thanks for supporting the Amiga all these years Olaf!

One thing I would like to solve is using Putty (or Linux telnet) to connect to an AmigaShell server (using the DOS keyword). It works, but I think Putty is sending CRs which the shell does not like. Tried every option. Teraterm works much better, but not perfect.
Old 19 October 2016, 19:06   #64
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hi:
I would like to have a script that could tell me if I've got internet connection or not, because sometimes in the past I just thought I had it and it finally hadn't connected for whatever, so I had to use my script to connect RoadShow again.

What could I check in the script to know if I've got it or not?
Old 19 October 2016, 19:53   #65
Locutus

ping a host?
Old 19 October 2016, 19:56   #66
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
ping a host?
Yes, I suposse. But how to make that part of the script to know if it's working?

I mean: Ok, I ping 8.8.8.8, but what commands do I need to know if if was ok or not?

And also, wouldn't it take too long for a ping to complete? I want something fast.

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 October 2016 at 21:54.
Old 19 October 2016, 21:13   #67
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Redirect the output to a file and parse the output, either using the old "edit" command, or by making it an env-variable and compare it with absolute strings (only if string is to be expected static).

Jens
Old 19 October 2016, 22:12   #68
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. I've got to try this program that I've seen anyway. If it reports the ping was ok, that's all I need: http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/Ping_1.6
Old 19 October 2016, 22:41   #69
idrougge

If you just need to know if you have a connection, that sounds overtly complicated. You just need to check if you have an IP address.
Old 19 October 2016, 22:59   #70
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

That's what I was thinking, thanks. I've got to check the RoadShow tools for that.

Anyway I've got to say that this problem used to happen when booting with the Pcmcia Wifi card plugged in, but since this RoadShow update, it seems that it always connects that way too.
Old 20 October 2016, 01:08   #71
idrougge

I just bought Roadshow myself and haven't had opportunity to install it yet, so I can't offer any concrete advice.
Old 20 October 2016, 09:10   #72
utri007
mƤ vaan

Roadshow has s a command "shownetstatus", wich is what you want.
Old 20 October 2016, 19:28   #73
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Roadshow has s a command "shownetstatus", wich is what you want.
Yes, that's what I need. As a comment it would be great if it could open a resized shell window as the existing is too long.
Old 20 October 2016, 20:08   #74
daxb

Maybe redirect output to CON:///... work?
Old 20 October 2016, 20:15   #75
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I tried some things that I read to resize the output, but I think it makes his own and it should be changed in the program itself.

If any wants to try...
Old 21 October 2016, 14:20   #76
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Thanks. I've got to try this program that I've seen anyway. If it reports the ping was ok, that's all I need: http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/Ping_1.6
Hang on, this is not what you want. This particular "ping" command was written for use with the "Envoy" networking package and is not in any way compatible with the Roadshow TCP/IP stack, or for that matter, any Amiga TCP/IP stack which is compatible with the AmiTCP V4 application programming interfaces.

I do understand what you are trying to achieve. You should be able to use the "ping" command so that it sends a given number of probes to a remote server, then waits for the server's responses to arrive, and indicates if fewer responses arrived than expected.

The "ping" command included with Roadshow cannot do that yet, because of its age. This kind of test, as outlined above, was not present in the "ping" command source code until rather recently (say, 10 years ago).

I'll see what I can do...
Old 21 October 2016, 16:13   #77
jayminer

Couldn't you just ping a known host which you know will respond to ping (such as your router or your ISP:s gateway) with ping -c=1 <ip>, then just check $rc to see if you got a response.
Old 21 October 2016, 16:53   #78
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
Hang on, this is not what you want. This particular "ping" command was written for use with the "Envoy" networking package and is not in any way compatible with the Roadshow TCP/IP stack, or for that matter, any Amiga TCP/IP stack which is compatible with the AmiTCP V4 application programming interfaces.

I do understand what you are trying to achieve. You should be able to use the "ping" command so that it sends a given number of probes to a remote server, then waits for the server's responses to arrive, and indicates if fewer responses arrived than expected.

The "ping" command included with Roadshow cannot do that yet, because of its age. This kind of test, as outlined above, was not present in the "ping" command source code until rather recently (say, 10 years ago).

I'll see what I can do...
Yes, I saw all that about Envoy, I even find a library it needs, but it wasn't enough to get it working.

I don't know if it's necessary, Olaf. First because thanks to your update my miggy seems to connect always and second because ShowNetStatus works right.

As I say, maybe just changing the Size of that shell is enough.

I like for example the window of Genesis that was on screen (it's a long time I don't use it) showing if you were connected or not, that also could be nice.
Old 23 October 2016, 17:46   #79
Amiga_CDTV
Mind Walker

I am late for the party... but still: thanks for the update!

I have a small problem (was there before 1.12 and still present after updating) with Roadshow.

Every time I try to run netshutdown, I get "Waiting for network to shut down" but it never does (it just stays there). At this point if I try to open fe. a browser, it still has internet access and then the message in the CLI adds "timeout; network may shut down later" and returns to prompt. So for some reason the netshutdown never finishes.

I am using an A3000T, WB3.1 and an A2065 ethernet card.
Old 25 October 2016, 15:59   #80
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga_CDTV View Post
I am late for the party... but still: thanks for the update!

I have a small problem (was there before 1.12 and still present after updating) with Roadshow.

Every time I try to run netshutdown, I get "Waiting for network to shut down" but it never does (it just stays there). At this point if I try to open fe. a browser, it still has internet access and then the message in the CLI adds "timeout; network may shut down later" and returns to prompt. So for some reason the netshutdown never finishes.

I am using an A3000T, WB3.1 and an A2065 ethernet card.
Before the network access can be shut down each program currently involved in using it needs to stop doing so. This is what the "NetShutdown" command attempts to bring about: notify each network user that it's time to go. "NetShutdown" can succeed only when every (former) network user has let go.

Not all programs which use the network will comply with the request to cease all network operations. If there is even one single such program around, which hangs onto its network access, then "NetShutdown" will show the timeout message and exit.

"NetShutdown" may fail, and there is not much you can do about it It should always succeed, but those programs which use the network are not required to comply with the request to stop using the network.