English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 October 2008, 00:38   #61
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

We have limited accounts with slow uploads and in many cases where uploads count against your downloads. For example I pay $69AU a month for 40gig of downloads and usenet access, uploads do not count against my downloads but my speed is 1500/256.

I'll leave it up to Bippy to do whatever he wants.
Old 29 October 2008, 05:37   #62
exoticaga

Thanks i wondered what was different with the bb connections in australia. It may give some food for thought to which peer transfer method is better for you all on the other side.

Yet another country that has no competition from rival isps to make it better.
Old 29 October 2008, 06:39   #63
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

We have rival ISPs, the problem is geography, we have to pay for massive underwater cables and such, or so we are told.
Old 30 October 2008, 01:01   #64
exoticaga

I don't think your to not hard done by, many uk companies are like this also (same to your package). Then again some are cheaper, lower prices often leading to many companies offering a crappy service deal. With capped limits and throttling etc or going bust. They then blame it on the low prices which is bs. If run correctly they would gain more customers which in turn equals more profit to make.

Today $69 Au = £27.27 Uk

How much % total would you be willing to upload back to the torrent swarm for every 1gb of data. Upload would be needed to keep a swarm healthy for everyone using it.
Old 30 October 2008, 01:22   #65
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Well it also depends on the average wage etc, cost of living, blah, blah. $69AU a month isn't cheap for internet but it isn't expensive either, I sacrificed speed for more downloads and in order to stay within my budget that was the best I could afford.

I dont really know how much uploading I could do, it would all depend on how much it would slow the rest of my internet down, to be honest I am not in the collect every single rom and iso category so I would probably just grab isos when I actually wanted to play them on the real hardware. Being locked out of grabbing a couple of gig of cd32/cdtv isos due to torrent ratios etc just seems like more hassle than its worth to me personally.

I generally grab my stuff from usenet so if people with uber fast connections want to dump them up there from time to time it would be appreciated.
Old 30 October 2008, 01:29   #66
exoticaga

When you download via torrent do you often get fast download speeds or is it more often slow speeds. By fast i mean at least 75% of your connection is able to download at using http protocol.
Old 30 October 2008, 01:49   #67
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Depends on how well seeded it is I guess, I usually grab bleach anime episodes as they come out on Thursdays from the fan-subbers using a public tracker they set up and they go to around the top speed mark. but I seed at 1kb/s otherwise I cant surf the internet at the same time.
Old 30 October 2008, 05:45   #68
mihcael
Zone Friend

mine is worse again 8000/384, download something in 10 minutes, takes a week to seed it back!!

I think BB2 is 24000/1500 (or something like that) for you capital city folk ?? now that would be nice
Old 30 October 2008, 09:03   #69
exoticaga

Maybe not isp related, unless your isp are throttling the upload speeds. This i have never heard of an isp doing for uploads, with the poor bandwidth uploads have to start with.

Do a test at a bandwidth speed testing site, of three worldwide servers. Three repeat tests for each server at following times of the day morning, afternoon, evening and after midnight. Do these tests then show dramatic speed changes for both uploading and downloading, between all the tests you do.
Old 30 October 2008, 17:06   #70
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
Today $69 Au = £27.27 Uk
Using FOREX rates is a poor method of comparing prices, a better rule of thumb is the Big Mac Index which yields a figure of about AU$69 = UK£45, that's probably closer to reality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
How much % total would you be willing to upload back to the torrent swarm for every 1gb of data. Upload would be needed to keep a swarm healthy for everyone using it.
For me personally, 1:1 is the only acceptable ratio, if you get into the mindset of only downloading at your maximum upload speed then you never have problems.

That said only the aggregate capacity has to balance for swarms to work effectively, that doesn't mean everybody has to contribute the same amount of bandwidth as some people can afford to upload much more than others, on trackers that strictly enforce ratios there are as many issues with people overseeding as there are with hit & runners eg. unneeded seedboxes, admins soliciting bribes for ratio, new torrents massively overseeded, old torrents with weak speeds etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I seed at 1kb/s otherwise I cant surf the internet at the same time.
I hope this is just a strange way of saying that you seed at a reasonable rate when not using your connection for anything else.
Old 30 October 2008, 17:13   #71
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Thread closed.

My ISP has not provided news (Usenet) for 6 weeks now, and I mentioned to them this morning that if Hitler managed to take France in 6 weeks, surely they could repair their newserver in that length of time.

I suddenly thought what have I said, but apparently she wasn`t familiar with the convention - which actually isn't surprising.
Old 30 October 2008, 20:02   #72
exoticaga

I used Oanda also.

BigMac theory ? All i want to do is a quick conversion using the converter, not do conversion myself.

Do the central trackers still track user info and ip together, to lower throughput for them. Or did it ever happen ?

If austrailians people can uploadback at just 1Kbps while downloading and then run after downloaded. What if we all did that, torrent protocol would cease soon after. What if find a good proxy, change mac on the router. You could never have to the need to upload ever again. At more than 1Kbps, no seeding just download and run.
Old 30 October 2008, 20:06   #73
exoticaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
My ISP has not provided news (Usenet) for 6 weeks now, and I mentioned to them this morning that if Hitler managed to take France in 6 weeks, surely they could repair their newserver in that length of time.

I suddenly thought what have I said, but apparently she wasn`t familiar with the convention - which actually isn't surprising.
I looked at usenet over the years now it is pay for, i never used it yet. Is there still a free way to get binaries, one that uses a GUI for bot communicating, point and click. Instead of a cli type interface, where you have to type in the commands to a bot.
Old 30 October 2008, 22:57   #74
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Up until 2 weeks ago my uploads always counted against my downloads so I never bothered seeding after a download had finished. I uploaded at 1kb/s while downloading and then stopped the seeding as soon as it was done. Now that my uploads don't count against my downloads I guess I'll see what I can do. I have always used public trackers up till now. Torrents for me have always been a last resort, I would rather pay for rapidshit membership than use torrents.
Old 31 October 2008, 20:10   #75
exoticaga

I suppose you'll do a speed check test soon. so you can get the best out of your connection to upload and download while surfing.

I don't mind free rapd_shre site, long as the one used is .de as the .com one is the rotten apple.
Old 01 November 2008, 05:44   #76
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

As an example for Ozzies, my connection is 8000/128 (yes that is 1 2 8 with no zeroes missing), and uploads count for quota. Though quota is unlimited it gets throttled to a Dial-up speed of 64kbps after 12GB. If I go over 8-10KBytes/s there can be problems surfing the web. So consequently, I don't use torrents as much as otherwise.

Yes, I should probably change ISPs, but like THB said the others here are only a bit better.

I have put up a local web server to let ppl d/l something occasionally, but they've had to leave the transfer running for a number of hours.
Old 01 November 2008, 06:41   #77
exoticaga

Have you checked at different hours to see if it is capped only during certain hours. This known from isps some say after 6,7,11pm even after 2am then all is ok back to normal until 9 or 10am swings round again. It is really bad of a isp capping so low and not having free hours where download speed goes back to normal. Yes if it happens run find another server get better, by staying your saying you accept it and are happy with it. I don;t know where your located if in australia maybe T_hairy_bootson can say what isp he has got, so you can get a better isp (google doesn't know anywhere called anrea, maybe its a virtual one).
Old 01 November 2008, 16:42   #78
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Well, it may get even slower, I love it when non-IT people try to do IT things:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...13-953,00.html

@exoticaga

Anrea... well, you haven't played enough amiga games! It's ok about ISPs, I work in the industry, I just can't be bothered. whirlpool.net.au is the best place to see what's going on. Maybe I could save $10 a month or so, but we don't have great internet in this big red land. If you want larger quotas and higher speed, gotta pay through the teeth.

@bippym

However you set it up will be cool of course, as you are the one doing it. I just hope you have enough quota. I suppose you can monitor it of course and see how things go and adjust.

If you didn't want to leave your computer on 24/7 you could get one of those cheap NAS devices and run a web server/ftp server etc off that. I have one of those and it's pretty neat with virtually no admin required.
Old 01 November 2008, 20:56   #79
exoticaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post
Well, it may get even slower, I love it when non-IT people try to do IT things:
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...13-953,00.html
Sure just chatting while bippy gets things sorted.
I read of many IT advice given on the net, that are bad advices. Agreed not all IT people are good at their jobs.

Quote:
Anrea... well, you haven't played enough amiga games!
Wasn't sure if was a real place name, put in a virtual game, have never played Dragons Breath.

Quote:
It's ok about ISPs, I work in the industry, I just can't be bothered. whirlpool.net.au is the best place to see what's going on. Maybe I could save $10 a month or so, but we don't have great internet in this big red land. If you want larger quotas and higher speed, gotta pay through the teeth.
Some isps i are now starting to reverse it, to maximise their potential profits.

Quote:
@bippym

However you set it up will be cool of course, as you are the one doing it. I just hope you have enough quota. I suppose you can monitor it of course and see how things go and adjust.

If you didn't want to leave your computer on 24/7 you could get one of those cheap NAS devices and run a web server/ftp server etc off that. I have one of those and it's pretty neat with virtually no admin required.
Your right it is a long time since bippy posted here.

Bippy any progress made since you last posted on the thread ?