English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 May 2017, 15:24   #61
michaelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Cloanto have made no improvements to the OS; see my previous post. And selling a freeware emulator is not doing much for the community either.

Hyperion on the other hand have at least tried to improve the OS; I disagree with some of the business and technical decisions they have made and of course the pace of development is disappointing (and I do think OS4 would have likely been better if developed by H&P as per the original plan) but I would not put them in the same basket as Cloanto by any means.

Cloanto supports several Free and open source projectje like AmigaSys and UAE. So they use Free software they helped, augmented with a more user friendly package. Would it have been better to simply use it without supporting it? Invest that money in additions that would be for them alone and not for the community?

Hyperion on the hand only made software to fill their own pockets. No problem with that, but it doesn't do much for the community. Especially since they locked that software in a dead-end architecture and will probably only go away when A-Eon will develop new hardware around a new platform and then sell it exclusively locked to that platform.
Old 24 May 2017, 15:29   #62
michaelz

How a simple thread to inform could derail into a "I love them, they are shit" thread
Old 24 May 2017, 16:34   #63
E-Penguin
Banana

Go to your brother,
Kill him with your gun,
Leave him lying in his uniform
Dying in the sun.

Sensible Software clearly foresaw all this and issued prophesy through the medium of catchy game tunes.
Old 24 May 2017, 20:33   #64
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
Hyperion on the hand only made software to fill their own pockets. No problem with that, but it doesn't do much for the community. Especially since they locked that software in a dead-end architecture and will probably only go away when A-Eon will develop new hardware around a new platform and then sell it exclusively locked to that platform.
To quote a wise man:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelz View Post
But don't forget; there is nearly nobody who acts out of pure individual interests alone. There is always another story that perhaps in the right perspective, is quite solid.

If we as a community want to get them to be involved, we may need to give them at least some credit. They are after all, trying to do things for us. We are their potential market and we won't buy it (and thus sustain them) if they make absolute crap.
Old 24 May 2017, 20:34   #65
michaelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
To quote a wise man:

Hehe, well played
Old 04 June 2017, 03:07   #66
LadyJane85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
They are doing things like "take down that video on Youtube of the Amiga's launch event", which has fuck all to do with KS/WB and as fair use of a historic event, they should not be allowed to take it down, yet , well, Youtube is a fucking disgrace too.
Wasn't that taken down on request of one of those new commercial Amiga movies, who were using this same content in their DVDs? Or did you check the facts before posting, and you know exactly what happened? If so, tell, us, please...

Old 04 June 2017, 05:30   #67
Amiga1992

War?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane85 View Post
Wasn't that taken down on request of one of those new commercial Amiga movies, who were using this same content in their DVDs? Or did you check the facts before posting, and you know exactly what happened? If so, tell, us, please...

Ugh, jesus.
Go to the video and it said it was taken down by Cloanto Italia.
Here,
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Amiga1992; 04 June 2017 at 05:40.
Old 05 June 2017, 23:28   #68
LadyJane85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Ugh, jesus.
Go to the video and it said it was taken down by Cloanto Italia.
Here,
[ Show youtube player ]
You are repeating the obvious. Not very difficult. Do you know what actually happened, that is, why after more than 10 years of Cloanto having this in Amiga Forever (which is where the pirate YouTube version presumably came), only once the other commercial movies come out, it was taken down?

Old 06 June 2017, 12:38   #69
amigang

Just to be clear I was as fault for not getting permission from the content owners, Cloanto, I worked with them and the strike have been removed.
Old 07 June 2017, 01:26   #70
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Yeah, Cloanto "developed" all right. They "developed" away workbench.library and disabled people's disk drives.
Did they develop "Amiga Explorer" that they sell for transferring files?
I kind of like that app...

desiv
Old 07 June 2017, 17:09   #71
idrougge

I think they did.