English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 07 January 2012, 20:45   #641
diablothe2nd

the pending release of the indivision will no doubt devalue those items.

or, perhaps they're tryna get custom due to the indi needing a little bit of DIY knowhow and they're tryna grab the less willing/savvy peeps for those items.
Old 07 January 2012, 21:14   #642
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablothe2nd View Post
the pending release of the indivision will no doubt devalue those items.

i dont think it would to honest, its a buyers market and as such you make that choice , the ecs indy is what 82 quid how much for the aga version its got to be well over 100 pounds,its probably someone cashing in,to be honest modern lcd's dont need this hardware anyway to work on the amiga's rgb port flicker free.

Quote:
or, perhaps they're tryna get custom due to the indi needing a little bit of DIY knowhow and they're tryna grab the less willing/savvy peeps for those items.

maybe, maybe not.to fit an indi you only need a philips screwdriver anyway.ive found peaple arnt really that gulable that they will part with 100 pounds for something "homemade"where the parts can be got for 30 quid.or maybe some are its there choice,personaly i dont mined paying 16-22 pounds for the board to and try one myself.

Last edited by prowler; 07 January 2012 at 22:05. Reason: Fixed double quote.
Old 07 January 2012, 21:15   #643
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
ive found peaple arnt really that gulable
there's always one!
Old 07 January 2012, 21:24   #644
roy bates

Quote:
there's always one!

true,there is but it dont really matter or at least not to the person or persons who bought these its there choice.

the same could said for the peaple that bought indi's for the amount there sold for.personal choice.
Old 07 January 2012, 21:31   #645
diablothe2nd

Quote:
the same could said for the peaple that bought indi's for the amount there sold for.personal choice.
As my sig says, I plan on buying an indi. the main reason being its internal and the creator/supplier has proven himself many times to be a trusted manufacturer and offers great support. unlike this random ebay seller.

but then, when it comes to all electrical goods (heck, pretty much everything available in retail) is usually considerably marked up... sometimes over 500% the manufacturing cost!!!

if you want to avoid those costs, you have to make it yourself... mind you, you're still paying a markup on the components anyway
Old 07 January 2012, 21:37   #646
MrCheese

The cost of the bits + setting up the box + say 2 hours of time, £100 seems reasonable, if you want to just buy, plug in and know it works. For some people this is more important than saving money or they value their own time taken to construct the item as greater than the perceived overhead on the item.

Not saying I would spend £100 on one, just making the point.
Old 07 January 2012, 21:47   #647
Paul_s

True, works right out of the box with no messing. However, I didn't realise Steve had posted exactly the same thing yesterday
Old 07 January 2012, 21:56   #648
roy bates

Quote:
As my sig says, I plan on buying an indi. the main reason being its internal and the creator/supplier has proven himself many times to be a trusted manufacturer and offers great support. unlike this random ebay seller.

yes,and like ive said its your choice its not a bad thing, ive had many scandoublers and flicker fixers maybe the peaple who bought them couldent wait 2-3 years for an indy.most paeple just want it to work out the box.etc

but then, when it comes to all electrical goods (heck, pretty much everything available in retail) is usually considerably marked up... sometimes over 500% the manufacturing cost!!!

true,everything's is like that,but if there was no money there would be no product.that includes the indy.

if you want to avoid those costs, you have to make it yourself... mind you, you're still paying a markup on the components anyway

true,but who cares if you can do it yourself
Old 07 January 2012, 23:02   #649
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

the hardest part with these is sourcing the 23 pin conector as i just about got 6 from tomthul in the states. i have made a couple of cables for guys on amibay. the box can be found in maplins for about a tener.
Old 07 January 2012, 23:07   #650
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
the hardest part with these is sourcing the 23 pin conector as i just about got 6 from tomthul in the states. i have made a couple of cables for guys on amibay. the box can be found in maplins for about a tener.

or the 23 pin port can be stripped from a dead motherboard(floppy port)
Old 08 January 2012, 02:05   #651
Mr B

Quote:
to be honest modern lcd's dont need this hardware anyway to work on the amiga's rgb port flicker free.
Um, i don't know, but i think i have what it takes to prove you wrong. My 42LX650n doesn't know what the Amiga is on about, and couldn't care less about the RGB signal it's providing. It's a LED LCD, with 3D abilities and all that stupid stuff. Sucks for anything console, and is bad at best, for Scart/RGB. I actually get better image from the DVD player, using the composite signal over Scart, then RGB. So, there are modern LCD's that isn't up to it, when the Amiga in considerd "it".

Quote:
or the 23 pin port can be stripped from a dead motherboard(floppy port)
Yeah, that doesn't look like what they did. Which leads me to think there has to be someone sitting on a load of these connectors, or, as they look like an up to date design, someone is actually still making them. Possibly on order only, but still.
B!
Old 08 January 2012, 03:05   #652
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Um, i don't know, but i think i have what it takes to prove you wrong. My 42LX650n doesn't know what the Amiga is on about, and couldn't care less about the RGB signal it's providing. It's a LED LCD, with 3D abilities and all that stupid stuff. Sucks for anything console, and is bad at best, for Scart/RGB. I actually get better image from the DVD player, using the composite signal over Scart, then RGB. So, there are modern LCD's that isn't up to it, when the Amiga in considerd "it".

Yeah, that doesn't look like what they did. Which leads me to think there has to be someone sitting on a load of these connectors, or, as they look like an up to date design, someone is actually still making them. Possibly on order only, but still.
B!

well your milage will very, all the lcd hdmi ready tv's i have work for some reason the el-cheapo models do a better job of it then others ive seen.
i dont have an led one so i cant say.

as for the rgb plug theres always more than one way to obtane the plug at worst case if someone wanted to get one they could buy a rgb to scart cable and take the plug from that(i know its not the cheapest option),well someones got to be making the plugs still, the scart cables you can buy are new.maybe its worth asking them where they get them from.(i got lucky here as i only wanted two and i had two very dead motherboards)
Old 08 January 2012, 04:22   #653
Mr B

Quote:
well your milage will very, all the lcd hdmi ready tv's i have work for some reason the el-cheapo models do a better job of it then others ive seen.
Actually, i know why. The cheap stuff just takes the signal and use it. The more fancy stuff verify that the signal follows certain guidelines, (to apply special features) and the, well, lets face it, rather old and outdated standards of the Amiga signal is found, it hasn't any specs for it, so it just drops it. The manufacturers should have been intelligent enough to make it treat a unidentified signal in a standardized way, and it would have worked just fine. The Sony Bravia a mate of mine has is slightly older then my LG but more importantly, Sony actually has half a brain and made it treat the signal reasonably well even if it cant say exactly what it is. My LG lets me catch fast glimpses of the screen as it flashes a few times every minute...

Oh well. I'm getting a Indivision MKII as my signature says, so i'll be set for as long as the DVI/HDMI standards are still viable. And i'm looking in to getting "some means" of running RGB scart to VGA, which should take care of the rest of my retro gaming needs.
B!
Old 08 January 2012, 11:17   #654
roy bates

Quote:
Actually, i know why. The cheap stuff just takes the signal and use it. The more fancy stuff verify that the signal follows certain guidelines, (to apply special features) and the, well, lets face it, rather old and outdated standards of the Amiga signal is found, it hasn't any specs for it, so it just drops it. The manufacturers should have been intelligent enough to make it treat a unidentified signal in a standardized way, and it would have worked just fine. The Sony Bravia a mate of mine has is slightly older then my LG but more importantly, Sony actually has half a brain and made it treat the signal reasonably well even if it cant say exactly what it is. My LG lets me catch fast glimpses of the screen as it flashes a few times every minute...

Oh well. I'm getting a Indivision MKII as my signature says, so i'll be set for as long as the DVI/HDMI standards are still viable. And i'm looking in to getting "some means" of running RGB scart to VGA, which should take care of the rest of my retro gaming needs.
B!

its strange you say LG, interestingly it used to be a daughter branch of samsung which has the same problems sometimes.
Old 08 January 2012, 18:47   #655
Mr B

Possibly the ill effects of the korean attention to detail?
Either way, the Amiga isn't showing on the LG, so i need to do something about it. Now if only Jens would get his Indivision MKII together, and i'll grab one. If nothing else, so just to keep him in business that much longer. Cant help but feel it's good to see someone put a lot of effort in to new hardware for us. Yeah, sure, he does it for profit, at least to some extent, but it's still good for those of us that are stupid enough to have no life to speak of now over the winter... (Well, thats me, in a nutshell.)
B!
Old 08 January 2012, 19:47   #656
roy bates

Quote:
Possibly the ill effects of the korean attention to detail?
Either way, the Amiga isn't showing on the LG, so i need to do something about it. Now if only Jens would get his Indivision MKII together, and i'll grab one. If nothing else, so just to keep him in business that much longer. Cant help but feel it's good to see someone put a lot of effort in to new hardware for us. Yeah, sure, he does it for profit, at least to some extent, but it's still good for those of us that are stupid enough to have no life to speak of now over the winter... (Well, thats me, in a nutshell.)
B!

well all outlets in the amiga scene are doing it for profit,without profit there would be no new hardware catch 22.he would need it for stock and pay.etc(or anything else for that matter)
no i dont think your stupid at all.
Old 08 January 2012, 20:10   #657
Mr B

Money pays the bills to go on with life. So yeah, pretty much anything done for us has to be profitable in some way. I was just trying to avoid the negative crowd who'd go "but hey, he's doing it for profit".

And well, i am sure there are things to do outside my apartment even now in the winter, but i'd prefer not to find out. It keeps raining, and it's cold. Not that fun at all. Perhaps not stupid, but some people would say it makes me ignorant. ;- )
B!
Old 08 January 2012, 20:45   #658
roy bates

Quote:
Money pays the bills to go on with life. So yeah, pretty much anything done for us has to be profitable in some way. I was just trying to avoid the negative crowd who'd go "but hey, he's doing it for profit".

And well, i am sure there are things to do outside my apartment even now in the winter, but i'd prefer not to find out. It keeps raining, and it's cold. Not that fun at all. Perhaps not stupid, but some people would say it makes me ignorant. ;- )
B!

anything thats said can be taken in any number of ways sometimes three ways, negative positive or any other way as no-one can see the expression on someones face or hear the tone in there voice.within text.

and no,i dont think your ignorant your just "you" like im "me"

with that ill leave it there.
Old 09 January 2012, 05:36   #659
freehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
There are pretty cool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Mad...item41611aeb8c

I wouldn't pay £100 for one mind you, but it's pretty cool all the same
I bought one of these and sent it back twice he is a very nice guy but the item is crap.

My fault I fell for it and I should know better.
Old 09 January 2012, 11:52   #660
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehand View Post
I bought one of these and sent it back twice he is a very nice guy but the item is crap.

My fault I fell for it and I should know better.

the thing is ,with these pre-built ones is the boards in them are supposed be run from an external supply,these guys are taking the supply voltage from the rgb port,from what i can see anyway.(which will probably leave you with a bad picture,distorted picture, odd colours etc)