English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 March 2010, 14:10   #41
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I use a cotton bud dipped in Isopropyl... It's also great for cleaning old game cartridges
Sometimes IPA and other cleaners dont get rid of the dirt. Sometimes its best to gently sand the contacts with fine sandpaper, obviously not to hard. Then you can IPA it and it will be nice and clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGlo View Post
This is what i was thinking, and i've already got a GP2x Wiz with UAE4ALL running on it with about 6 gigs of ADFs. I could get the s-video out cable, but the lack of keyboard is a pain (FA18 interceptor is a no go!) and you cant beat using a joystick for sensible soccer. I also run an emulator on my work laptop and use a xbox 360 pad, but it just doesn't play the same, though i wish upgrading my A1200 was as easy as in WINUAE!!
Thought UAE4ALL supported keyboard via OSK, like PSPUAE does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I've never heard of one that fouls the RF shield before today. I have the RF shields intact on both my A1200s (One Commodore and one Escom), and I've never had that problem with either of them.

The 1230/40MHz card I have now is a Typhoon MkII.
Depends, some cards have the socket straight off the end of the board, some like the E-Matrix have an angled socket, that makes then sit higher, hence the shield needing bending slightly.

Quote:
I have a Magnum 030 card in my Commodore A1200 and it's fine... i did put some electrical tape in the trapdoor just in case anything makes contact with the RF shielding

I was interested in a card from "AndlyLandy" over at Amibay but it sounds like it won't fit without bending the RF shield or cracking open the A1200 case http://amibay.com/showthread.php?t=4894
Yep, that card is exactly the same socket wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Will hopefully be ordering mine tomorrow.

How come the built to order Amiga comes with 120GB HD but if you buy separately it's only 100GB? or would I be better off buying the 4GB compact flash?
Think that may be an error, would have to check.

It really depends what your doing, if its just retro gaming (WHDLOAD) then 4GB is fine.

Last edited by FOL; 01 March 2010 at 14:18.
Old 01 March 2010, 20:48   #42
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
The 1230/40MHz card I have now is a Typhoon MkII.
Snap!

But I cant close the trap door with mine, how about you?
Yes, I can close the trapdoor with the Typhoon in place. I think whether you can or not must be to do with the height of the SIMM (mine is 16MB).
Old 01 March 2010, 22:49   #43
DaveGlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post

Thought UAE4ALL supported keyboard via OSK, like PSPUAE does.

It does, but it doesn't make use of the touch screen, I just find it frustrating.
Old 01 March 2010, 23:03   #44
DaveGlo

Right, I've tried all that you guys have suggested. I've cleaned the contacts even though they look fine to me, I've bent the shielding back and put a strip of tape across the back of the accelerator where it would be likely to make a contact with any shielding. Still no joy.
I have changed the on/off switch setting to off on the board and the Amiga does boot in the same way as if the board isn't installed.
I tried disconnecting the 3.5" floppy and noticed that the LED on the CF drive comes on and seems to be trying to boot, but nothing shows on screen. My conclusion now is that i do need the extra wattage to get this going. Can't wait for it to arrive now.

I have a new problem now though, I got my (extremely short) RGB to scart cable today but when i tried it, all i got was a white screen on my LCD. Not sure if i've been sold a pants cable, my LCD wont display it for some reason, or if i need to change a screen setting in Workbench?
Again any help is appreciated
Old 01 March 2010, 23:38   #45
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

@Amigakit... This is slightly off-topic but do you have any A1200 dust covers in stock? I've already ordered one for my A500 but cannot seem to find one for the A1200 on your website
Old 02 March 2010, 00:19   #46
amigakit.com

A white screen usually suggests a faulty video DAC / fault in the video circuit. I take it composite and RF are fine?

As or the accelerator, are you saying when you disable the memory with the jumper on accelerator, the computer boots OK but without memory?

if it does, load Workbench, goto a Shell and type CPU and report back what it says.

@PowerPie5000

We are out of stock of A1200 dust covers, but have lots of A500 in stock. They will be OK for use with an A1200 but a few inches larger in each dimension.
Old 02 March 2010, 00:31   #47
DaveGlo

Not tried composite, but RF works fine.
I moved the bottom jumper to the off state, it was on when i got the card. The 2 jumpers above were set to off and i've left them like this. This did allow a boot, but failed again when i moved the bottom jumper back to on.
Old 02 March 2010, 00:32   #48
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
@PowerPie5000

We are out of stock of A1200 dust covers, but have lots of A500 in stock. They will be OK for use with an A1200 but a few inches larger in each dimension.
Will you be getting anymore in soon? If not then i suppose i could just order another A500 dust cover to use with my new A1200
Old 02 March 2010, 00:33   #49
DaveGlo

I left the memory in the accelerator btw
Old 02 March 2010, 00:47   #50
amigakit.com

I dont think we will have any more A1200 dustcovers.

@DaveGlo

Try reseating the SIMM and then with the jumper set to off, please run the ShowBoards program in Tools drawer of Workbench or CPU command in Shell
Old 02 March 2010, 00:50   #51
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Will you be getting anymore in soon? If not then i suppose i could just order another A500 dust cover to use with my new A1200
Ask for one in Amibay. It is a not common thing, but they pop on from time to time.
Old 02 March 2010, 00:54   #52
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGlo View Post
Not tried composite, but RF works fine.
I moved the bottom jumper to the off state, it was on when i got the card. The 2 jumpers above were set to off and i've left them like this. This did allow a boot, but failed again when i moved the bottom jumper back to on.
Try messing with the second jumper (JP2) or try with a different RAM stick.
Old 02 March 2010, 01:04   #53
DaveGlo

Quote:
I dont think we will have any more A1200 dustcovers.

@DaveGlo

Try reseating the SIMM and then with the jumper set to off, please run the ShowBoards program in Tools drawer of Workbench or CPU command in Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Try messing with the second jumper (JP2) or try with a different RAM stick.
Will do, but land of nod is calling me. Ill let you know what is displayed after typing cpu in shell.

@rkauer will change jumper 2 settings too, but haven't got any other ram sticks to test.
Old 02 March 2010, 02:11   #54
Mick

Just ordered myself a new Amiga 1200, I plan to get the accelerator to go along with it soon.

Last edited by Mick; 02 March 2010 at 02:27.
Old 02 March 2010, 21:59   #55
Riempie
Amiga freak

Did you get the last 'new' A1200? Because I don't see it anymore on the site of Amigakit
Old 02 March 2010, 22:25   #56
amigakit.com

We have a few more left.. going quickly.
Old 02 March 2010, 23:48   #57
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
We have a few more left.. going quickly.
Wow it's a good thing i ordered mine when i did... i was going to wait a couple more weeks So i guess thats it then? when they are gone there will be no more nos A1200's available anywhere?
Old 03 March 2010, 13:05   #58
Mick

Quote:
Wow it's a good thing i ordered mine when i did... i was going to wait a couple more weeks
Same here I was torn between a NOS A1200 and the E-Matrix accelerator (can't afford both atm), in the end I opted for the shiny new Amiga as mine is heavily tanned.
Old 04 March 2010, 00:15   #59
DaveGlo

Hello,
I got my 250 watt PSU and it makes no difference. I am getting really Effin annoyed now.
Did the CPU command in shell and got the following:
system 68020 (inst: cache)
I have played around with the jumpers too and still nothing.
On the only "flip side" when i try the new RGB to SCART on my scart 1 connection i get a real crisp image..... just a shame i cant get any friggin games to load cos my accelerator card from Amigakit doesnt work.
Suggestions again, please
Old 04 March 2010, 00:25   #60
amigakit.com

The accelerator was quality tested before despatch to you by our technician.

If CPU is reporting 68020 then the A1200 cannot see the accelerator (CPU should be reporting 68030). If you run ShowConfig (Tools drawer) does it report any expansion boards? Also holding down both mouse buttons during reset and clicking on Expansion Board Diagnostic should report the accelerator as present.

There are three jumpers on the card- have you altered these- what are they set to?