English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 March 2024, 22:24   #41
ExiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Simon the Sorcerer II.

What's the difference between Amiga and PC version of this game?
Old 19 March 2024, 22:39   #42
Fiery Phoenix

Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis speech version makes it sooooo much better
Old 20 March 2024, 09:50   #43
Total Eclipse

UFO - The PC version plays (depending on hardware, obviously) much more smoothly, and has better visual effects. The Amiga music was way better though, IMO.

Beneath a Steel Sky - the 256 colour visuals of the PC are an improvement over the 32 colour Amiga images.

Populous 2 - the standard 320x200 screen runs in 256 colour mode. There's also a 640x480 16 colour mode.

Dungeon Master 2 - despite being listed as an AGA game, it's only requirement is a 020 processor. The visuals are only 32 colours on the Amiga. Arguably the Amiga has better music than the PC MT-32 music though.
Old 20 March 2024, 12:16   #44
wiz12

F29 Retaliator, PC version has a great intro tune lacking on the Amiga version however the in-game audio effect are better on the Amiga.
Old 20 March 2024, 12:54   #45
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Eclipse View Post
UFO - The PC version plays (depending on hardware, obviously) much more smoothly, and has better visual effects. The Amiga music was way better though, IMO.

Beneath a Steel Sky - the 256 colour visuals of the PC are an improvement over the 32 colour Amiga images.

Populous 2 - the standard 320x200 screen runs in 256 colour mode. There's also a 640x480 16 colour mode.

Dungeon Master 2 - despite being listed as an AGA game, it's only requirement is a 020 processor. The visuals are only 32 colours on the Amiga. Arguably the Amiga has better music than the PC MT-32 music though.
I would argue (IMO) that the games worthy to be replayed (since it is the OP question) are the ones that add something more over the Amiga version than just extra colours (better gameplay, faster or smoother, extra levels or game mode, textured 3D, extra music etc).

For instance, I've recently finished Beneath a Steel Sky on the CD32. This isn't the type of game you would replay again and again once finished.
The VGA graphics doesn't seems much an improvement to justify replaying the game on its DOS version, especially since the Amiga gfx are very (very) nicely converted.

On the contrary a game like Jurassic Park PC have much better textured 3D parts that improve greatly the gameplay IMO (But I don't know if it could justify replaying this game on PC after the Amiga version).

Playing HD version of Populous 2 or Syndicate is also a great improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Where? All I can see is ImmortalA1000's, sorry, CCCP's post which seems to reply to the OP.
My bad, I've mixed the OP with Megalomaniac probably because I've been stuck with the Megalomania reference in it.
Old 20 March 2024, 22:10   #46
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
On the contrary a game like Jurassic Park PC have much better textured 3D parts that improve greatly the gameplay IMO (But I don't know if it could justify replaying this game on PC after the Amiga version).
Pff. That game did not age well on any platform.
Old 20 March 2024, 22:19   #47
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Pff. That game did not age well on any platform.
I quite like the 2D part.. music is very atmospheric and gfx are nice. A bit slow paced but I find the game enjoyable. Not the best one on the Amiga though, obviously, and not a reason to play it on the PC after playing the Amiga version.
Old 20 March 2024, 22:56   #48
kremiso

Simon the Sorcerer 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
What's the difference between Amiga and PC version of this game?
reading in this detailed review, mostly audio things, but not only

ie the music seems completely absent, just sfx and speech :

https://gamesfromtheblackhole.wordpr...e-sorcerer-ii/
Old 21 March 2024, 12:08   #49
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
just to add that sadly there is a severe bug in the penultimate ice level on pc;
there is a difficult part where you need to jump from a melting ice platform to reach an higher one, now it is very easy to miss that jump the first time (due also the slippery)
and on pc, if you die there, the platform disappear and doesnt respawn at all, leave you stuck there, whatever amount of lives you have collected so far

you must restart the entire game

i have completed the game, but you need to perform that jump at the first try

just lol
perhaps exists a fixed pc version which fixes this bug?
Old 21 March 2024, 15:47   #50
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx2199 View Post
just lol
perhaps exists a fixed pc version which fixes this bug?
ah ah yes, not great if attempting a longplay;
forgot to say that you can use the level password to at least restart just that level

dunno about a fix, maybe the cd version worth a check, i have played the floppy one
Old 22 March 2024, 01:04   #51
stx2199

Quote:
ah ah yes, not great if attempting a longplay;
forgot to say that you can use the level password to at least restart just that level

dunno about a fix, maybe the cd version worth a check, i have played the floppy one
also there is new lollypop version which is v1.1 done in jan 2023
you can download it at igg-games
surely such bug was fixed
Old 22 March 2024, 09:56   #52
Total Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I would argue (IMO) that the games worthy to be replayed (since it is the OP question) are the ones that add something more over the Amiga version than just extra colours (better gameplay, faster or smoother, extra levels or game mode, textured 3D, extra music etc).

For instance, I've recently finished Beneath a Steel Sky on the CD32. This isn't the type of game you would replay again and again once finished.
The VGA graphics doesn't seems much an improvement to justify replaying the game on its DOS version, especially since the Amiga gfx are very (very) nicely converted.
You might be right about BASS, it's not something you'd immediately replay, but if after a while the itch sometimes comes back, and you fancy re-visiting it, the PC version is worth a look. But yes, in hindsight, the Amiga 32 colour version is already extremely good looking.

However replaying UFO on the PC is definitely an improved experience. The fact that it plays at a decent speed makes a big difference to the overall game, and the shaded graphics during combat adds to the claustrophobic feeling of hunting down the enemies.
Old 22 March 2024, 10:26   #53
dreadnought

I can agree that Monkey 1 or BASS (and perhaps some other games) hold their own on Amiga even with less colours, but something like Space Quest 4 really needs to be played on PC.

Though back in the day it did not matter that much of course.
Old 22 March 2024, 13:16   #54
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
reading in this detailed review, mostly audio things, but not only

ie the music seems completely absent, just sfx and speech :

https://gamesfromtheblackhole.wordpr...e-sorcerer-ii/
It really sucked when I found out that there was no mods in the game. They could have at least used some kind of midi emulation or made it so we could use external midi devices. Not that important today after ScummVM though.
Old 22 March 2024, 13:21   #55
ancalimon
Supernormal

Big Red Adventure is 256 colours on PC. On Amiga, it had reduced number of colours even though it was for AGA as far as I know.
Also interlaced if you did not have a rare and expensive multiscan Amiga monitor.
Old 22 March 2024, 22:20   #56
Seiya

when you play BASS are you sure that the game is really Bass? The Amiga version missing the title screen that you can see on PC version. Music on PC version is more complete. Amiga music seems cutted in some point of the intro.
Old 22 March 2024, 22:59   #57
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
when you play BASS are you sure that the game is really Bass? The Amiga version missing the title screen that you can see on PC version. Music on PC version is more complete. Amiga music seems cutted in some point of the intro.
That's why I've played the CD32 version (with whd on my A500 mini) that got music (No CDDA music I think but paula music. Could have been converted to floppy version and add some disks to the already existing 15 ones of the ECS version ).
Old 24 March 2024, 10:23   #58
kremiso

if you liked Krypton Egg on Amiga, maybe you could like also the Dos version, released 4 years later

some levels are quite fun, due the mess of things on screen :

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 March 2024, 10:56   #59
kremiso

trying Lotus 3 atm
i was just curious and, no it is imo even worse than the Amiga version

the interesting thing is that in the rocky mountains levels the game is suffering also on PC
Old 30 March 2024, 13:56   #60
Megalomaniac

No real surprise that Lotus 3 would be better on Amiga than the PCs of the day. Sprite-based 2D or 2.5D games will always be better on a 7Mhz A500 than even the 25Mhz 386 required by the CDROM release of Lotus 3 (the original 3.5" version runs on a 286 but probably recommends a 386), aside from colour depth (though the Lotus 3 screenshots look no better on PC than on Amiga to me). All that custom Amiga hardware more than closed that kind of processor speed gap. And I was hugely disappointed with Lotus 3, primarily due to the speed (especially the mountains) compared to the first two, though it has other big issues too.