English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 27 August 2023, 21:52   #41
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I pick the pens at startup, store them in some array, and end of story. Shouldn't be long.
If you would dare a look, they are already in an array, namely that of the DrawInfo. The long part is all the move/draw/setpen operations.

Quote:
There is more than just a draw state. There are also variants of the bitmap button. Some don't have a border (simple icons).
Again, please have a look at the code. There is a state information associated to each gadget you can use. That state is all intuition knows about the state of the object. You can of course add your own methods and extend the state. You need one method that sets the extended state such that IM_DRAW can pick it up along with the intuition state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aros-sg View Post

Now, doing that from inside a boopsi should be fun, huh ?

That should also be possible, except that I haven't done that. Again, I'm not an expert in boopsis.
Old 27 August 2023, 22:23   #42
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
If you would dare a look, they are already in an array, namely that of the DrawInfo. The long part is all the move/draw/setpen operations.
I know this, but i mean, sometimes the pens i want are not present (f.e. color for cursor in edit box).

Quote:
Again, please have a look at the code. There is a state information associated to each gadget you can use. That state is all intuition knows about the state of the object. You can of course add your own methods and extend the state. You need one method that sets the extended state such that IM_DRAW can pick it up along with the intuition state.
All state is in a structure of mine and i'd rather not duplicate it.

Quote:
That should also be possible, except that I haven't done that. Again, I'm not an expert in boopsis.
If an expert in boopsis is needed, i'd better do otherwise.
Old 27 August 2023, 23:49   #43
Thomas Richter

Quote:
I know this, but i mean, sometimes the pens i want are not present (f.e. color for cursor in edit box).
That is up to the edit box to decide. Maybe you want to look into the intuition includes.

Quote:
All state is in a structure of mine and i'd rather not duplicate it.
Then use your structure if you think its better. I'm rather using the intuition pens as those are adjustable by the user and thus under control of the system preferences.

Quote:
If an expert in boopsis is needed, i'd better do otherwise.

Ah, so you do not want to read documentation then? Look, I haven't attempted to approach this problem just for you, but if I would need to do, I would invest some time and read into it. So far, I haven't had this particular problem.

But again, I guess we both know that you didn't want to in first place, so I was (again) wasting my time. If you don't want to learn, why do you ask in first place - it's probably the last time I'll dig out code for you.
Old 28 August 2023, 08:45   #44
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
That is up to the edit box to decide. Maybe you want to look into the intuition includes.
The edit box doesn't 'decide'. It just gets background color and do video inversion. Same story for text under cursor.

Quote:
Then use your structure if you think its better. I'm rather using the intuition pens as those are adjustable by the user and thus under control of the system preferences.
Hey, my structure is filled with the intuition pens, i'm not using arbitrary colors !
It's just that there are no dedicated pens for many things.
Another issue is that the Palette prefs program sets these colors only among 8 even if screen has more.

Quote:
Ah, so you do not want to read documentation then? Look, I haven't attempted to approach this problem just for you, but if I would need to do, I would invest some time and read into it. So far, I haven't had this particular problem.

But again, I guess we both know that you didn't want to in first place, so I was (again) wasting my time. If you don't want to learn, why do you ask in first place - it's probably the last time I'll dig out code for you.
Look, i've just come here to solve a small behavioral issue and you came asking me to redo everything ! And of course, not at all to make it simpler.
Do not be surprised then if i don't want to dig into docs.
Old 28 August 2023, 11:35   #45
Thomas Richter

Quote:
The edit box doesn't 'decide'. It just gets background color and do video inversion. Same story for text under cursor.
That *is* a decision.

Quote:

It's just that there are no dedicated pens for many things.
Another issue is that the Palette prefs program sets these colors only among 8 even if screen has more.
Because intuition only allocates 8 pens at most. The first 4, and the last 4. With screen depth as limited as on the Amiga due to available chip ram and ram bandwidth, requiring more pens for the GUI is not such a great idea.

Quote:
Look, i've just come here to solve a small behavioral issue and you came asking me to redo everything ! And of course, not at all to make it simpler.
Do not be surprised then if i don't want to dig into docs.

Look, there is the operating system to do gadgets and GUI for you, and you wanted to know how to do it right. This is the right way of doing things - using the services of the system, even if it means that you need to learn something (what is so bad about that in first place?). Otherwise, we can stop right here. Kick 2.0 was a "waste" as it alos introduced new functions and new concepts such as hooks and taglists - what a waste of resources, you can do that yourself, too....
Old 28 August 2023, 11:49   #46
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
That *is* a decision.
If you say so.

Quote:
Because intuition only allocates 8 pens at most. The first 4, and the last 4. With screen depth as limited as on the Amiga due to available chip ram and ram bandwidth, requiring more pens for the GUI is not such a great idea.
Requiring is something, merely being able to use is something else.
I'm not saying it should have been mandatory, just possible.

Quote:
Look, there is the operating system to do gadgets and GUI for you, and you wanted to know how to do it right.
Who decides what's "right" ?
Anyway, no, i didn't ask "how to do it right". I asked how to have the gadget down locking window effect, without an actual gadget. Do you at least know how intuition knows it has to defer window activation ?

Quote:
This is the right way of doing things - using the services of the system, even if it means that you need to learn something (what is so bad about that in first place?).
What's bad here is learning something that will at the end not be able to do the job and end up useless. Sorry, i have better things to do of my time.

Quote:
Otherwise, we can stop right here. Kick 2.0 was a "waste" as it alos introduced new functions and new concepts such as hooks and taglists - what a waste of resources, you can do that yourself, too....
There is a big difference. Sometimes the OS is up to the job, but sometimes it is not. When it's not, i do things myself. I started with regular gadgets, then gadtools, then boopsi - none did it. Simple.
Old 04 September 2023, 09:58   #47
meynaf
son of 68k

Another issue i've run into : found no access to alternate dimensions (see ZipWindow) once the window is open. No way to read them, no way to change them.

So, what is the "do it right" method when we want next opening of same window to restore both its positions and sizes as set by the user when using it ?

EDIT:
Found how to read them (indirectly). Check WFLG_ZOOMED when getting size/move event.
But, does not solve the problem that there is no (documented) way to change them - which is necessary to take the borders into account (right and bottom may change due to presence of size gadget).

Last edited by meynaf; 04 September 2023 at 11:06.