English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 September 2023, 11:48   #41
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
My line of thinking was obvious to (almost) everyone. Diablo has significantly lower hardware requirements than Robin Hood and runs slowly on 060 CpU
I'll assume that the "(almost)" there wasn't a personal dig at me, since I already agreed with you on that point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Of course it could be, and I never tried to say otherwise.
Quote:
everyone else can sit down and write a 68k port
Except it came to light that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
And, given that it looks to be a commercial endeavour, it's not really open for someone to produce a better port
Quote:
that will only run smoothly on PiStorm
And OS4.
Old 08 September 2023, 13:38   #42
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
Not sure this game is so great though. It looks like a typical sucky 'modern' PC game.
I feel completely opposite.
Never heard of the game before, and looking at the gameplay videos, it looks very interesting to me. Kind of reminds me of Baldurs Gate, although, I doubt it's that deep and complex.
Gotta try it, when I get some free time.
Old 08 September 2023, 14:34   #43
AMIPEGUSER

I have the Original windows Version and the original MorphOS Version here.
The MorphOS Version was published by german Epic Marketing later RUNE Soft.
I was very disappionted these days because the MorphOs Version was extremly slow on my Peg 2.
I never used MorphOS on my Peg 2 again and switched to OS4.1.
MorphOS is just on my Powerbook and MacMini, but I never tried the game there.
Rune Soft also published a commercial Linux Version.
http://www.rune-soft.com/Spiele/Verffentlicht-251
Old 08 September 2023, 14:59   #44
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIPEGUSER View Post
I have the Original windows Version and the original MorphOS Version here.
The MorphOS Version was published by german Epic Marketing later RUNE Soft.
I was very disappionted these days because the MorphOs Version was extremly slow on my Peg 2.
I never used MorphOS on my Peg 2 again and switched to OS4.1.
MorphOS is just on my Powerbook and MacMini, but I never tried the game there.
Rune Soft also published a commercial Linux Version.
http://www.rune-soft.com/Spiele/Verffentlicht-251
The macs are a lot more powerful than the peg 2 so should run better
Old 08 September 2023, 20:22   #45
arti

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Or perhaps the whole port is not even legal, like with Diablo? (which, funny enough, runs fine on the PiStorm, despite it saying it's AMMX-optimized - so either that's a lie or Emu68 can handle those instructions)

Diablo port co-author here. It is not a problem to detect if game runs on Vampire or not. If AMMX instructions are not detected they are simply not used like MMX on PC back in the days.
Old 10 September 2023, 09:35   #46
Rotzloeffel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
How well does that run if at all, I mean unless you just mocked up these photos with DPaint or your monitor is hooked up to a sick gaming tower with an Athlon and a Rage Fury?

The ppc has 333 mhz with 256 mb ram and a bvision ppc, lets say, its playable but not very fast comparable with the apollo video
Old 10 September 2023, 14:39   #47
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Kind of reminds me of Baldurs Gate
It's like Commandos and Desperados.
Old 10 September 2023, 20:38   #48
lukzer

please make a WOS port.. . I would like to play on the Sonnet PPC.
Old 12 September 2023, 04:58   #49
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukzer View Post
please make a WOS port.. . I would like to play on the Sonnet PPC.
The source is not available so this is a specific sweetheart deal. But since it's based on Linux and SDL and there are lots of different versions available if the source was available it would take you know a couple days to port. Which won't happen, because the source is not available to anyone other than sweethearts.
Old 12 September 2023, 14:39   #50
willemdrijver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
Is it also for V2?
Hi, for now this is an experimental project which is focussed on V4. We do not have made any decision for any release in any form for any platform.
Old 13 September 2023, 13:41   #51
willemdrijver

Latest realtime footage from our alpha version of Robin Hood - legend of Sherwood experimental port to Amiga/Apollo. This video shows the integrated "RiVA" based video playback (640x360@23.98fps) which is the current maximum on native Apollo V4 hardware. Intro plays right before actual gameplay and can be skipped with ESC key by user.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 13 September 2023, 13:54   #52
Seiya

however certain type of games play in Amiga or Amiga like slowly, better to play on original hardware and original OS.
Old 13 September 2023, 14:51   #53
Calabazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
however certain type of games play in Amiga or Amiga like slowly, better to play on original hardware and original OS.
Yes but the big Amiga on my desk is my all entry retrocomputer, not only Amiga, but also Mac, MSDOS PC 386/486, Sega Master System, C64, Apple II, Amstrad CPC, etc, either by software emulation or hardware expansion, so the more old stuff (native ports) is brought to it the better.
Otherwise, i can easily play Robin Hood from steam in the blink of an eye with a Corei7 but it is not as fun. Amiga is the gateway to computer fun.
Old 13 September 2023, 14:57   #54
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemdrijver View Post
Latest realtime footage from our alpha version of Robin Hood - legend of Sherwood experimental port to Amiga/Apollo. This video shows the integrated "RiVA" based video playback (640x360@23.98fps) which is the current maximum on native Apollo V4 hardware. Intro plays right before actual gameplay and can be skipped with ESC key by user.

[ Show youtube player ]
This looks pretty slick, well done!
Old 20 May 2024, 17:34   #55
jaycee1980

I used to work for Runesoft, who did the Mac, Linux and MorphOS ports of this game. While it is not one of my ports, I was involved with it a little.

This sounds like they have somehow acquired the source code to our port. The original Windows version does not use SDL, but the ports that Runesoft made did.

This source code has NOT been released publically, and the Apollo team should not have it.
Old 20 May 2024, 18:47   #56
Crom

Willem did this port as an exercise proof of concept. He has been both working on classic Amiga game programming as well. A good example of an end user being proactive and coding. It's been fun to see the progress on this.

We would like to make clear to our beloved Apollo community that Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood is not open source and we do not own rights and/or license (yet). This means that in the current stage of this project we would very much like to engage you by releasing a fully playable DEMO release, but the reality is that we are not allowed to do any kind of release, even if it's "only" a beta of the Demo level.

Apollo Team is very motivated to bring Robin back alive and you can help us here and now by giving us your feedback in the Discord Poll: https://discord.gg/N7pwVSb3
Your information is essential for us to make a realistic assessment on our (im)possibilities to actually bring back Robin as a Legend on Apollo V4."
Old 20 May 2024, 18:53   #57
Pyromania

The progess on Robin Hood - legend of Sherwood is amazing. Thanx so much for all the hard work!
Old 20 May 2024, 18:56   #58
jaycee1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
We would like to make clear to our beloved Apollo community that Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood is not open source and we do not own rights and/or license (yet). This means that in the current stage of this project we would very much like to engage you by releasing a fully playable DEMO release, but the reality is that we are not allowed to do any kind of release, even if it's "only" a beta of the Demo level.
That's not the point at all. You shouldn't have the code to begin with. Please explain where you got it.
Old 20 May 2024, 19:18   #59
demether

Hi Will we see this game on classic amiga, OS 3.2, pistorm, rtg setup ? thank you !
Old 20 May 2024, 21:12   #60
willemdrijver

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
Hi Will we see this game on classic amiga, OS 3.2, pistorm, rtg setup ? thank you !
Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood is currently no more than an experimental "proof-of-concept" to verify our believes we could make such a complex game run on classic Amiga (using Apollo V4 accelerator). Now that we are in a more mature stage of the proof-of-concept, we are inquiring within Amiga/Apollo community if there is enough genuine interest to bring this project to a next level. Based on the outcome of this inquiry we will make roadmap decisions, including target platforms.

Which platform(s) do you use and would you be interested in a game like Robin Hood Legend of Sherwood for your Amiga?