English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 30 July 2008, 19:00   #41
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Such a glorious waste of time.
Old 30 July 2008, 21:51   #42
cv643d

Off course, if you grew up with an A500 with 0.5 mb extra memory and an extra floppy + 250 pirated floppies (including your Workbench discs overwritten with pirated games) you are not going to see the point in this.

Workbench is actually quite dated, even 4.0 is -in comparison with modern rock solid operating systems.

But to accept that Vista/Ubuntu and OSX is the best there is - is just absurd!

Ubuntu is nice, Windows is Windows but I firmly believe a souped up AmigaOS on any modern platform could easely knock out OSX as a better operating system in many aspects. if you fail to see that, it is quite clear (at least to me) to see who of us here are more hardcore Amiga enthusiasts than others by peoples reaction to an updated AmigaOS that could lead to modern Amigas becoming a viable option (and an effective and fun computer to work with) again.
Old 30 July 2008, 23:38   #43
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
Off course, if you grew up with an A500 with 0.5 mb extra memory and an extra floppy + 250 pirated floppies (including your Workbench discs overwritten with pirated games) you are not going to see the point in this.
That description doesn't describe me and I don't see this point.

Quote:
But to accept that Vista/Ubuntu and OSX is the best there is - is just absurd!
Best is a subjective term.

Quote:
Ubuntu is nice, Windows is Windows but I firmly believe a souped up AmigaOS on any modern platform could easely knock out OSX as a better operating system in many aspects.
You do realize that OS X is for the most part a GUI (Aqua) that sits on top of a FreeBSD-like OS, right? Want to have a pointless debate about inits?

Quote:
if you fail to see that, it is quite clear (at least to me) to see who of us here are more hardcore Amiga enthusiasts than others by peoples reaction to an updated AmigaOS that could lead to modern Amigas becoming a viable option (and an effective and fun computer to work with) again.
What modern Amigas? Viable option? I fear you're not joking. Swap the word "hardcore" in the above with "deluded" and you'll be closer to reality.
Old 31 July 2008, 00:49   #44
Marcuz

seriously, i don't understand the animosity these threads excite.

i mean i partly do, because of the amount of strong and well enstated opinions, often exaggerated and sometime uninformed about what's going on inside a electronic box and the sighs one often has thinking about his own younger years and the fun he had.

so that he may either desire that fun be again and he's somehow pissed it is never quite like it was.
it happens everyday in real life: maybe one is so pissed that he don't believe that a fun like that may happen again for anybody else again. i mean that in the largest sense.

so i understand it but i think it's a waste of time
what's wrong in letting people who like to see the glass half full have it their way?
Old 31 July 2008, 13:41   #45
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
What modern Amigas? Viable option? I fear you're not joking. Swap the word "hardcore" in the above with "deluded" and you'll be closer to reality.
Sums it up pretty well

The Amiga as we all know it has been dead since 1994 - Amiga has been thrown around with no respect from one place to the next with little or no regard.

Now we have some fruitcake called Bill McEwan who won't develop any hardware because he's spent the Amiga Inc budget on his Jaffa Cake collection which makes OS4 as much use as a chocolate teapot. Apart from the 7 registered users
Old 31 July 2008, 13:49   #46
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Apart from the 7 registered users
7 more than I thought
Old 31 July 2008, 14:01   #47
blade002
Zone Friend

I am starting to notice there is a great divide between those who actually used Workbench every day at one point for years on end and then there are those who just played games on the Amiga everyday for years on end at one point.

I was both an pretty damn avid user the Amiga's OS in its day and a really hardcore gamer, and i can truly understand why there are some that still want to use the Amiga's OS up till present day with the advent of OS4.0

Now while i fully understand that Bill McEwen has fucked us all in the arse, and while i fully understand that many things should be done to bring Amiga OS4 to the mainstream through PC hardware, and while i fully understand that there is fuck all software support for OS4, what i do not understand is why so many on here are ready to shoot down those who "do" wish to avidly use it!?..

Some may say i have answered my own question by all the reasons i gave in the above paragraph, but then thats something that only applies to you, the user that decides that using Linux and Windows is a far more viable option than OS4, but why give others shit if they wish to adopt it when in actual fact its not exactly the worst thing in the world that could be happening! After all it IS an AMIGA OS !!!..

So if others using OS4 is a problem for you, then you obviously need bigger problems in your life.

BTW - No i don't use OS4, in case some think i am dickhead for doing so.

Last edited by blade002; 02 August 2008 at 05:05.
Old 31 July 2008, 14:52   #48
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I really need OS4.1 to be able to emulate PC DOS

NOT!
Old 31 July 2008, 15:03   #49
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I think Hyperion deserve our encouragement and support. Even though I will be resolutely supporting OS3.9 users with my programs , that doesn't mean I have anything against Hyperion, it mostly means that there is no AmigaOne emulator yet :-) And also OS3.9 rocks of course is the other reason...
Old 01 August 2008, 09:30   #50
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
After all it IS an AMIGA OS !!!
But I think that's the whole reason for the division. For some, it's the next great step forward for the Amiga. For others, it is a niche OS which sacrilegiously bears the Amiga name and has bugger all to do with original Amiga software and hardware.

I fall into the latter category, BTW.

Steve.
Old 01 August 2008, 09:42   #51
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Yeah! life is truly sacrilegious!!! Leave it all alone don't develop!!!

Why did they have to go and evolve the Model T Ford, B&W TV, and the Washing machine!!! Modern examples are just pure shiiite and should be burned!

If only they had stayed the same I would feel so much happier..... :]
Old 01 August 2008, 12:34   #52
rare_j
Zone Friend

I'd probably buy OS4 just for shits and giggles... if only there was some viable hardware to run it on!
Old 01 August 2008, 15:45   #53
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
I'd probably buy OS4 just for shits and giggles... if only there was some viable hardware to run it on!
I wouldn't hold your breath for it. If you do, you'll end up looking like a Smurf!

But I hope for the same thing all the time. And it never happens.
Old 06 August 2008, 21:49   #54
krutknut

What does this OS do better than every other OS out there?
It's got to have something. Right?
Old 06 August 2008, 22:57   #55
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Magic Pixie Dust.
Old 07 August 2008, 00:21   #56
AmigaWorld

Glad my Amiga 1200 has a PowerPC@200 MHZ and 25Mhz and 196MB of ram.
I have not got Amiga OS 4.0 yet. Maybe I will wait until Amiga OS 4.1 comes
out.
Old 07 August 2008, 01:43   #57
exoticaga

There is no future for any new amiga unless it uses todays cheaper pc mainboards and parts. A new amiga x86 wiith the os 32 and 64bit. In doing so will be easy to maintain update to new specifications. While attracting many new amiga users to the new os.

A new amiga os running on todays pc intels, amds so on. Then the amiga has a future like it always had a future. Just its users taht have resisted tousing todays technology with a new amiga os. Technology btw that we all use now with windows and other os's daily.

Amiga os4.1
Q. Can it be ported to run on 32 and 64 bit x86 platform ?
Q. Would you be prepared to do this ?

Yes, then please make it happen asap, and release it to the amiga community and the world. Get the sales and let the amiga take off once again. For years i have waited for this to happen. I've waited to long for this to happen, from when the amiga first went bust years ago.

We all know microsoft has probably no future in the windows os. Or you should know of this fact know by now. Drm has ruined its chances, and vista is a big disaster, heck even William has left.

So with a big hole opening in the future os market can the amiga os fit in there. Do the amiga os team realise the potential in sales for an amiga os in the x86bit market. It alsways did have a future there, but are you ready to take it there for us all to use and enjoy.
Old 07 August 2008, 09:00   #58
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Exclamation AmigaOS 4.1 gone Gold

From Hyperion Entertainment
Quote:
Hyperion Entertainment is very pleased to announce that Amiga OS 4.1 has gone "gold" and should be available through dealers mid August.
Now, the rumor has it, the infamous SharkPPC from ELBOX *might* be released in... the future...
Old 07 August 2008, 09:05   #59
haynor666
retro maniac

Well, I'm still on amiga 1200 with 030 turbo card and 16mb fast so i don't really need this one.
Old 07 August 2008, 09:23   #60
Shoonay
Global Caturator

nope, you got it the other way around, you *CAN'T* have this one