English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 24 September 2008, 20:35   #41
humble worm

bought 8585990 pirated copies at pirate parties
pulled wires out of my friends A500 while it was working (unit lost)
no more sins i recall
forgive me lord
Old 24 September 2008, 21:31   #42
AmigaFriend

Well I stole a couple of Your Sinclair's magazines back in 86, then bought the rest. And some ZX Spectrum game tapes from a store. I was with my brother and the sales person put all the games he had on the table, and we stole a couple of them by swinging the tapes back and forth like a domino effect and snatched them. There were about 30 tapes on the table and the guy didn't noticed anything. We bought no game at the end.

On the Amiga side nothing more than pirated games. I bought the ones that i truly liked, SimCity2000, GP1 and a dozen more, that I imported from the UK, as there weren't many originals on the shelves here in Portugal.
But I must say that I bought every single professional music and productivity software, that I own, as I used my Amiga professionally. Again from the UK.
Old 25 September 2008, 04:39   #43
amitrev

I like this thread! :-)

Ok, just like the rest of you, my vast collection of software contained very few originals. Had Amigas from 1990-1994 (A500, A600, A1200 w/hd etc), went all PC in 1994, discovered a very slow unusable amiga emulator in 1995 but just getting the kickstart screen up after a few minutes wait was enough for me to convert my collection to ADF files for the day it was usable. Met some cool people on efnet in '96(#uae anyone?), teamed up with two of them, pooled our dumped amiga disks together and created an extremely popular site, Lazarus (1997). Emulation got popular, Lazarus went pear shaped a year or two later and we all went our separate ways.

Other sins? Used the Jolly Roger cookbook (Amiga version of course) to make smoke bombs, sold them at school, incident with a melted toilet, almost got kicked out and reported to the police... I think the headmaster used the words bomb squad. Ahem!

Fun times :-)

Old 25 September 2008, 07:45   #44
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
Was i stupid or what, back in the Amiga days i bought all my software never skipped school to play games ( cos i was working) quite often i would get magazines delivered from the paper boy without any disks on them . I'm sin Free. Well until the PlayStation chipping started. Then i had 100,s games and a Que of people wanting chipped PlayStation's.
Old 25 September 2008, 08:08   #45
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

My Amiga sins? About 5GB worth online by about 1995.

Last edited by adolescent; 11 December 2008 at 04:12.
Old 25 September 2008, 08:36   #46
lucadip
Where is my mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitrev View Post
Met some cool people on efnet in '96(#uae anyone?), teamed up with two of them, pooled our dumped amiga disks together and created an extremely popular site, Lazarus (1997). Emulation got popular, Lazarus went pear shaped a year or two later and we all went our separate ways.
In those years I had a slow 33.6 Kbit modem and bought the Lazarus cd, not very cheap indeed... But I was so happy afterwards!

Another sin of mine: I do not tolerate threads on eab that do not deal with amiga...
Old 27 September 2008, 22:30   #47
Eclipse
Turpentine

I have to admit my bad one now
A friend kept going on and on about a game (I forget which) before it was released and wouldn't shut up when he knew a pirated copy was coming his way.
When he got said game he invited (gloated) us to his house to see the game.
I got so pissed off that the next day I took a magnet from inside a speaker with me to his house. Not only did I run the magnet over his game I also made a couple of passes over his whole games collection.
Apart from being pissed his new game wasn't working he came to the conclusion that his machine was faulty as a large amount of the games wern't working. His dad paid for the machine to be repaired and I've felt guilty to this very day.
Old 08 October 2008, 10:54   #48
manicx

Made a ST demo that I was taking the piss out of Amiga users. Made an Amiga demo taking the piss out of ST users...
Old 08 October 2008, 12:15   #49
DH
Global Moderator

My Amiga 1200 broke down within two weeks of getting it through a faulty 200Mb HDD, so I called out that nice man called repair man. He was so damn useless, a retarded student with 0% common sense, I had to replace the damn HDD myself while he stood and watched.

He brought in 4 New HDD's in his case, one for my A1200 the other for ??? So I borrowed the other 3 with the intent not to give them back

When he left he hadn't realised, then after about 30mins or so he called back and knocked on my door, obviously I didn't answer the door and to his horror he left, never to be seen again

The other 3 HDD's were sold to friends of mine, made quite a tidy profit there, as 200Mb HDD's for Amigas weren't cheap, and no, I don't feel guilty for it either, I did at first but as I was the one doing the work, I needed paying. They shouldn't send retards to repair Amigas or what do they expect
Old 08 October 2008, 15:36   #50
huggies

Use to flog floppy disks from the local variety stores since disks weren't cheap at the time.

Also attended a local computer club which was only in the business of pirating software. Most of the stuff they had on 5.25 inch disks and lucky my mate had a appropriate drive otherwise you had to rent one. We ran a 500 with three external drives.

Old 08 October 2008, 19:18   #51
laser
Banned

my sins

1 when I was a child I killed lot of ants and birds..also I killed a frog..but now I protect all the animals

2 I mistreated some young girlfriends when I was adolescent.. even right now I do that (I can't control that)

3 I have lot of illegal computer/console games..I buy only the best games...I support only the best talents

4 I have lot of ography on my computer

5 I mistreated my younger sister...even I kicked her

I will continue the confession later........
Old 08 October 2008, 19:25   #52
Leffmann

I think Laser just sent this thread in a different direction
Old 08 October 2008, 19:45   #53
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I think Laser just sent this thread in a different direction
this thread says "confess your sins" it doesn't specify very much &
I haven't been at the church since long time ago..so I confess here

bye
Old 08 October 2008, 21:29   #54
pkillo

this seems like fun to me! hmm....

- Ran a BBS from 92-94 ... with a 'hidden' level just chock full of warez and just about every HPA file I could lay my hands on. The funny part was that the phone prefix WAS h-p-a (472)...

- Demanded that the guy at the Supra booth at PCExpo '94 sell me a 28.8 modem on the spot because he had a whole stack of them and they were back-ordered for six months. When he agreed, I insisted on getting the SysOp discount!

- Broke into every gopher server I could find on the 'net and used them to practice UNIX programming. I need to apologize to some librarians...
Old 09 October 2008, 09:48   #55
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@Laser please remember we aint Catholic Priests... The confessions we hear aren't gonna be kept secret !!

Last edited by DDNI; 09 October 2008 at 10:38.
Old 09 October 2008, 10:13   #56
Dimlow

I have just remembered a sin i must confess. My first computer a Vic 20 was bought by my father for me and my brother. A few days later my brother discovered it no longer worked. At the time my father was not living with us and he drove 200 miles to collect the computer a return it to the store. This day was my first electronic hack. I discovered that by poking wires into the back of the Vic 20 i could make sparks! I never told anyone until this day that it was me who broke it. The replacement never got broke and this was what i learned to program on. I have since bought a few busted Vic 20's from eBay an breathed new life into them. I think I'm over my guilt now.
Old 09 October 2008, 13:10   #57
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimlow View Post
I have just remembered a sin i must confess. My first computer a Vic 20 was bought by my father for me and my brother. A few days later my brother discovered it no longer worked. At the time my father was not living with us and he drove 200 miles to collect the computer a return it to the store. This day was my first electronic hack. I discovered that by poking wires into the back of the Vic 20 i could make sparks! I never told anyone until this day that it was me who broke it. The replacement never got broke and this was what i learned to program on. I have since bought a few busted Vic 20's from eBay an breathed new life into them. I think I'm over my guilt now.
Something similar happened to me and my brother's C64 back in the 80's. It had broke and been in a repair shop for several weeks, and when we finally got it back I was so eager to set it up again and in the rush of doing so I somehow managed to fit that stupid DIN power connector into the DIN video out in the back, and off to the repair shop the C64 went again
Old 10 October 2008, 05:29   #58
andy
Back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimlow View Post
This day was my first electronic hack. I discovered that by poking wires into the back of the Vic 20 i could make sparks!

...this was what i learned to program on.
Dimlow, you know that's how Jeri Ellsworth started out too?

From small acorns grow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser
...even right now I do that (I can't control that)
You really can, y'know. Unless you're 'Eliza' (or a modern-day bot), you're a sentient being - self-aware, with an ability to appraise situations and effects in and on your environment, yourself and those around you. Finding empathy will come - and you can find it. Think.

Though my words carry a critical air, they are meant to be constructive and are written with a kind heart. I hope that doesn't get lost during the transition to 0s and 1s and that they hold some value!

Right, back to the show...

It's not the Amiga, but here's Jeri giving a lecture at Stanford University on her background and her route through connecting pins Dimlow-style, education, business and employment, towards production of the C64 'DTV' joystick (including FPGA design and her experiences in dealing with the large-scale production side of things).
Old 10 October 2008, 12:08   #59
Dimlow

i have no idea who jeri is, i will have to look him/her up. but sounds interesting!
Old 10 October 2008, 13:13   #60
DH
Global Moderator

Think the worst thing I ever did was to sell my A500 to my brother for 120 GBP , I then went out and bought the A1200 Desktop Dynamite Now that I look back, I so regret selling the A500, cause my brother didn't know how to use it so the git sold it to someone else instead of returning it to me

Before this I sold my C64 to some slapper who thought the joystick was some kind of sex toy I've never seen her since thankfully but I gave over 200+ games to that tart without a thank you. Wish I had got the thing back

I miss my C64, A500 'n' A1200 but thanks to WinUAE 'n' WinVICE64 I have them all back hopefully soon I'll purchase another A1200

Edit: ZX81 binned because of memory (or lack of it), ZX Spectrum 16k punched because of key combination errors (you'll know what I mean if you had one) never worked again.

Last edited by DH; 10 October 2008 at 13:20.