Old 22 October 2009, 16:01   #41
Graham Humphrey

Threads merged
Old 22 October 2009, 19:20   #42
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Anyone but Bill!
Agh, don't say such things, I foresee t-shirts with slogans printed on them...

If you know me, you'll know what was "Amiga" ended with Commodore. If (from Jope's quote) it had been rights in order to develop an M68k kick/WB 3.2, now that would have at least interested me.

Another thing that would interest me would be if ownership of logo and name would go to someone that makes it a name that excites people and creates nice connotations (to young people that don't know it). That would be cool.

Not to be a miser, AmigaOS was innovative and is a very nice experience. But when you change all the software and hardware, how can it be the same thing? Here comes Bad Analogies Inc. again (uh oh) - if your lover changed sex and personality, how could you love er... him as you did, no matter how many face lifts and liposuctions?

Haha, ok I'm gonna bugger off now...
Old 22 October 2009, 21:37   #43
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
hmmm, bad analogies... Lets see.... you love your granny dont ya....? She's different to how she was 25 years ago too....
Old 22 October 2009, 21:47   #44
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flink View Post
In terms of conquering Amigans of old (even if it's difficult/improbable to convert non-Amigans), what do you think AmigaOS should have added?
GPLed source. Otherwise it does not stand a chance against the free *NIX systems.

I am happy that at least something happens. Though Amiga's story became weirder with every new owner in the past.
Old 22 October 2009, 23:20   #45
Flink

Sorry, I should have known you guys wouldn't let something this big slip through...

I think if you boil it down (and I've said this before), the Amiga was a really nice machine, quite ahead of it's time in terms of graphics, sound and expandability. Then there was the operating system, a quick, nimble and efficient system, very expandable, very flexible, customizable almost without limits. Then there was the community. I mean, us. This great platform that was/is the Amiga attracts great people. Smart people, creative people, great gamers.

Amiga (Hardware). AmigaOS (Operating System). Us (Community). We're still here, aren't we? We have no "special" hardware anymore, and probably never will have. But the AmigaOS has evolved, for better or worse, as AmigaOS 4.1, and we're still here. And without us there never would be any Amiga, not as we know it! We had the biggest software repository on the freakin' planet (Aminet), and that shows just how creative and amazing we were!

Now, I still don't think the Amiga will suddenly jump on the mainstream desktop/laptop computing world, stealing market share from Windows, Mac or Linux. But I believe the Amiga can still be successful in a niche market. We were good at niche markets for quite a long time!

One niche market where I believe the Amiga can make a difference is in embedded systems. The OS is small(ish), efficient and stylish enough. It still needs a couple of things (Java, touch support), but it should be easy enough to drive that way. Give the hardware RS232, RS485, I2C, SMB, GPIO, PWM, and give people APIs to control that cleanly on the AmigaOS. Then market the system for the embedded world.

Also, if Hyperion has vision, they will realize that their number one target for the desktop/laptop market is us. We Amigans. We that were there, supporting the platform when everyone else was jumping ship. Many of us would gladly be early adopters, should a clear Amiga system be sold. I know I would.

We have the people, the talent. We still have the OS. The hardware is not very difficult to arrange in these days of globalization. I don't see why we can't have a successful system (and we don't need 2% market share to be successful).

Ok, this is getting long... am I dreaming too much, or is there any sense in all I've written above?

P.S.: Like others said, even if AmigaOS belongs to Hyperion, do they have the rights to make a partnership with (say) ACube and sell a machine marketed directly as an Amiga? I wish they had...

--
Flink
http://flink.formula9.net

Last edited by Flink; 22 October 2009 at 23:23. Reason: Post Scriptum
Old 22 October 2009, 23:33   #46
Photon

Quote:
hmmm, bad analogies... Lets see.... you love your granny dont ya....? She's different to how she was 25 years ago too....
Actually, I had two...

"I loved my grannies! They both had a charming personality, they were modest but nice all the time. You always felt good after a visit; even if they only had old style sugary candy, it was candy. They were quiet, grey and wrinkled and didn't care for the latest DVD movies or 3D games, but their tea and smalltalk was relaxing and when the visit was over I felt I had visited a good old friend."

grannies=Commodore Amigas
candy=games
wrinkles=plastic ventilation grille
tea=pixels
smalltalk=assembler

It's YOU who neglect your grandmas and only spend time with young models hoping their prominent features will soon be in everybody's hands! You... you PIMP!!

*bitter look of accusation and waving of index finger*

Haha

(Phew... that was too much work... giving birth to quintuplets would be less painful... no more please! )
Old 22 October 2009, 23:39   #47
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
smalltalk=assembler
That is wrong in so many ways.
Old 23 October 2009, 01:57   #48
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flink View Post
Have you guys seen the latest news on Hyperion having full ownership of the AmigaOS? What do you think?

* Are we going to see more hardware running AmigaOS in the short run?
* What about old G3 and G4 Macs? Do you think it is worth the time to port to this (obsolete) platform?
That's a tough question. We know that OS4 was ported over to the MacMini ages ago and it was only unreleased because of the legal BS. The trouble is that ACube is the supplier of OS4 hardware and would not be a happy bunny if you could also run OS4 on a Mac (eg nobody would buy any more SAM's and imagine how bad all those recent SAM owners would feel).

So although it would be an easy option for them, it's not that simple. They also may not want to go to the trouble of porting to hardware you can't buy new (which is not exactly forward looking IMHO).

Then again with Morph going that way, Hyperion might feel some pressure to follow suit.

I think the best OS4 supporters can hope for in the near future is some steady (and much needed) OS4 enhancements along with some more powerful SAM HW (eg the 460). Longerterm there is no reason that OS4 could not end up on x86.
Old 23 October 2009, 03:06   #49
exoticaga

Quote:
Within the framework of the settlement agreement Hyperion is granted an exclusive, perpetual, worldwide right to....

Granted - Legal rights of use.
Perpetual - Until such time, Legal rights of use are withdrawn.
Old 23 October 2009, 08:57   #50
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
That is wrong in so many ways.
Is it clever or sad to admit that I thought *exactly* the same?
Old 15 November 2009, 02:42   #51
tero

a.inc cleans up

We know it would come...
http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/a...p?storyid=5151
Old 15 November 2009, 13:58   #52
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by tero View Post
I was wondering, when they were going to remove it, .

Lets hope the Amiga can finally move forward.
Old 15 November 2009, 14:28   #53
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I just don't see the point anymore. When Amiga was first sold to ESCOM, I truely thought that things might pick up, and then it was passed on again and again.

I have no hopes for Amiga anymore, not as a future wonder machine, it will simply never happen again.

The Amiga 1000/500 were products of their time, with no competition for a long time, those times have passed with dedicated graphic processor manufacturers trying to outdo the next release.

IF, and its a big IF, Amiga came back as a completely new innovative and powerful machine, it would be quickly usurped within a matter of months.

The only future for the Amiga in any form is in embedded systems where WindowsCE is simply too bloated for the simple tasks asked of it.

The only other future for Amiga is to remember the machine as it was, celebrate its strengths and realise theres a world out there.

I use a moderately powerful laptop, and Amiga fan as I am, i'm simply not going to replace it with anything 'new' Amiga at all ever.

i'll enjoy my memories of years gone by, Amiga Inc and Hyperion and anyone else who thinks the Amiga has a future? Such short sighted madness.
Old 15 November 2009, 14:52   #54
Xytec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post

Here comes Bad Analogies Inc. again (uh oh) - if your lover changed sex and personality, how could you love er... him as you did, no matter how many face lifts and liposuctions?

Haha, ok I'm gonna bugger off now...
Maybe you'd be the owner of an Apple?
Old 15 November 2009, 20:26   #55
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I have no hopes for Amiga anymore, not as a future wonder machine, it will simply never happen again.
Certainly not as competition to anything modern. Non-game machines like the Mac (or PC with Linux) do the stuff their users want well and fast. Game machines like the PC are also powerful running state of the art games, possibly beaten by the odd PS3 game. All of these come in laptop variant of which some are only slightly less powerful.

So ofc there's no hope in the wonder machine (that's (c) me btw, see the demo ScrewBalls ).

What about what Amiga users needs? Well, there's certainly nothing impossible about satisfying them. They'd be different from each individual, but it's safe to assume they want to play the classic games for a good old time, and use their Workbench at good speed and surf, chat, play music, use apps etc.

This can be done already (possibly with the exception of browser compatibility with modern sites), with say an A1200 like the one in my sig.

What I *could* see as a successful new platform would be such a machine in laptop form, if the "FPGA" has a chipset and 68060 that is fast and compatible enough. I think going to another non-Motorola-Amiga platform would make it a "faster non-Amiga and slower non-PC", basically.

Having some extra screen modes but retaining AGA/OCS support for demos/games would be fine tho, Indivision already has some.

Hm... just realized it pretty much sounds like I'm describing what Jens Schönfeld is doing. Well, I can see an A1200 mobo replacement being licensed for, and people buying, a Pandora-like laptop. But running AmigaOS, demos and games natively in style. If the "booting from harddisk and attaching equipment" support is there, it could be a "continuance" of where the A4000T ran out of oomph, a base platform to start afresh from, if it's good enough.
Old 15 November 2009, 20:45   #56
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Que? I'm sure you had something in mind when you wrote that, but I can't figure it out I think Galahad was talking about the 'mainstream' market and I think (apologies in advance if I got that wrong) you're talking about another audience. Point is which HW Hyperion will target with OS 4.2 now and how that will change the current situation.
Old 16 November 2009, 19:21   #57
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I just don't see the point anymore. When Amiga was first sold to ESCOM, I truely thought that things might pick up, and then it was passed on again and again.

The Amiga 1000/500 were products of their time, with no competition for a long time, those times have passed with dedicated graphic processor manufacturers trying to outdo the next release.

IF, and its a big IF, Amiga came back as a completely new innovative and powerful machine, it would be quickly usurped within a matter of months.

The only future for the Amiga in any form is in embedded systems where WindowsCE is simply too bloated for the simple tasks asked of it.

The only other future for Amiga is to remember the machine as it was, celebrate its strengths and realise theres a world out there.

I use a moderately powerful laptop, and Amiga fan as I am, i'm simply not going to replace it with anything 'new' Amiga at all ever.

i'll enjoy my memories of years gone by, Amiga Inc and Hyperion and anyone else who thinks the Amiga has a future? Such short sighted madness.
ditto. The cuckoo flew the nest for me in 1996'ish when I cancelled my subscription to Amiga Format. I gave up hope of meeting a woman when Amiga Power closed its doors. The best magazine ever made imo

If Hyperion want folk to buy OS4 then they are seriously going to have to transplant it onto x86 based platforms as the SAM stuff is over the top. Why they don't do this is beyond me because;

a) They would be in the same market as W7, Linux etc and could make a small fortune.
b) There is no chance of any real Amiga hardware ever being made again - even if there was it wouldn't be the same would it?
c) If OS4 was made for x86 then we could throw Win (OS4 ) UAE onto it which would be orgasmic!
d) Superfrog is still the best game
Old 16 November 2009, 19:46   #58
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Of course there could be new old Amiga hardware. Somebody send Jeri Ellsworth an email, please.

The real Amiga is called UAE these days, imo. OS4 is interesting, but that's not enough when there is Linux, BSD, etc. around. These are interesting and free (as in speech, or beer, or what you want).

If hyperion released at least the kernel sources for free, then porting would just happen. Amiga OS could have a future as a lean and mean desktop system.

But if things stay as they are, then Amiga OS is only a quite expensive toy for die hard fans.
Old 16 November 2009, 19:50   #59
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
The real Amiga is called UAE these days, imo.
You know that on most Amiga forums that statement is like asking for the lynch mob
Old 16 November 2009, 20:08   #60
prowler
Global Moderator

Lucky for gilgamesh that we're a little more open-minded here on EAB, eh TCD?