English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 05 July 2009, 00:27   #41
Graham Humphrey

Just had a quick go and I'm very confused - this blue/purple dragon thingy had me beat (partly due to my rubbish joypad)... how do you throw the axes? I did it a couple of times but I can't figure out how to do it without it being a total fluke...

Old 05 July 2009, 00:32   #42
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Press (and hold) up+attack button.
Old 05 July 2009, 00:34   #43
Graham Humphrey

Thanks
Old 05 July 2009, 00:49   #44
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
In case you don't know, you can also do a backflip by tapping the jump button twice quickly.

At first, you might not find it very useful, except for 'playing style' (jumping backward to a platform, catching the end of level orb while in mid-backflip), but once you get the hang of it, it can be very useful for quickly evading some attacks, notably against bosses.

And I confirm the heat does not help to participate in anything. I am very tempted by Castlevania and Parasol Stars too, but I don't feel the strength to concentrate and play enough to make a competition entry.
Old 05 July 2009, 01:00   #45
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
And I confirm the heat does not help to participate in anything. I am very tempted by Castlevania and Parasol Stars too, but I don't feel the strength to concentrate and play enough to make a competition entry.
Since there are only two entries, literally anything would make a decent score right now
Old 05 July 2009, 01:01   #46
Graham Humphrey

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, it's far too hot still - think I'll call it a night now. Hope it cools down soon so I'm more inclined to play these games a bit more...
Old 05 July 2009, 01:35   #47
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Since there are only two entries, literally anything would make a decent score right now
Indeed, but what I meant is 'an entry that I can feel satisfied with'.
Last time I tried to play in a competition was Super Stardust and sadly had not much time to get back into the game then, therefore I was frustrated.

Since not especially naturally gifted for old-school platformers (i.e. I can finish them but it takes some training) and as it has been a while since last I played Rondo, it would take quite a few tries to get reflexes back and remember level layouts.
With the heat (it's 01:36 here right now and even that late the heat is not tolerable enough to want to spend some time playing), I am not sure I would enjoy much those tries and would probably feel frustrated in the end.

Any chance the round could last an extra week, if enough not-yet-entered-participants say that it would allow them to give it a try?
Old 05 July 2009, 07:21   #48
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Any chance the round could last an extra week, if enough not-yet-entered-participants say that it would allow them to give it a try?
Sorry, but no. Two weeks for one round and that's it. You can look up the poll about the round length and see that I voted for 3 weeks, but yet the majority thought that two weeks are enough. Extending the time for one round would lead to requests to do that in other rounds, so it would turn into a 'at will' decision by me.
Old 05 July 2009, 08:56   #49
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The second boss was too fast for me on a Sunday morning...

Old 05 July 2009, 10:20   #50
john4p
Competition Moderator

Quote:
In case you don't know, you can also do a backflip by tapping the jump button twice quickly.

At first, you might not find it very useful, except for 'playing style' (jumping backward to a platform, catching the end of level orb while in mid-backflip), but once you get the hang of it, it can be very useful for quickly evading some attacks, notably against bosses.
It's especially useful against the red armors, evading the Minotaur's dash attack, evading Death's sickles (hardest boss fight) and using it you won't need good timing against Dracula anymore.

Note you must not push left or right to perform a backflip. The dpad/stick has to be in neutral position.

Last edited by john4p; 05 July 2009 at 10:25.
Old 05 July 2009, 15:38   #51
Predabot

HMM!! I thought I had the worst first score of all... XD

Anyways, here's my first go. I got my @$$ kicked by those axe-knights basically.

Old 09 July 2009, 20:04   #52
Predabot

Excellent game, this! The only thing that feels a bit weird is some of the control-movements. A bit sluggish somehow... I've played several other Castlevanias on Emu, and they didn't have this slight feel of jerkiness to the controls. Odd. Might be imagining things, I suppose.

Old 11 July 2009, 19:15   #53
lilalurl
Global Moderator

2nd and probably last go.
Lost too many lives during each encounter with Shaft

And I forgot to keep the Cross-arang when going against Dracula ... Hydro Storm really sucks in Rondo compared to SOTN/NITM. In fact Richter sucks in Rondo, I want the shoulder charge...

I must admit that having a 60% backup.dat (for Magic Engine) around was very useful to have a few goes level by level to remember the layouts and the patterns of the bosses, before playing from scratch.

By the way, I just remembered another use for the backflip: accessing some plaftorms. For instance, unless I am mistaken, the platform Richter stands upon in the second screenshot can only be accessed by a well placed backflip.

112 820
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD_072EAB00-002.png
Views:	162
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	22077   Click image for larger version

Name:	CD_072EAB00-001.png
Views:	168
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	22078  
Old 11 July 2009, 19:29   #54
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

In on the last day with a very nice score
Welcome to the EMPL lilalurl
Old 12 July 2009, 08:04   #55
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

[ Show youtube player ] (well, for this round ).
Next one in a couple of minutes
Old 12 July 2009, 17:56   #56
Predabot

BWAAAH!! I didn't get to be 2'nd place!

Well... at least I finally beat Druid... but that's not much, now innit'?
Old 12 July 2009, 18:02   #57
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yeah, I suck at Castlevania. Always did...
Hey, but this round it's Metal Slug