English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 10 December 2021, 17:57   #41
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
What about Dangerous Streets or Frankos Revenge?
lol
Old 10 December 2021, 18:01   #42
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
lol
The excellent Frankos Revenge really beats up the SNES and shows things the SNES is not capable of from a hardware or software standpoint. See example footage below.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 December 2021, 18:05   #43
Retro1234
Phone Homer

obviously the Amiga is capable of more than most of the ports we got but the time and effort and return isn't worth it - The Amiga is a budget computer not a games console it is what it is.
Old 10 December 2021, 18:31   #44
dreadnought

Quote:
The excellent Frankos Revenge really beats up the SNES

Lol, I guess that back then, feeling patriotic and having never actually seen SNES in action, I might've agreed
Old 10 December 2021, 18:58   #45
c0dehunter

Thanks for the informative input! The more SNES titles I play, the more I am convinced that it was an absolute beast in 2D! (well before NEO GEO, and then SATURN of course!)
Old 10 December 2021, 19:10   #46
rothers

Quote:
The excellent Frankos Revenge really beats up the SNES and shows things the SNES is not capable of from a hardware or software standpoint. See example footage below.

[ Show youtube player ]

I've never seen that game before, it's legit amazing. I love games like that which are crazy but obviously a lot of work went in to it.

If you want to see something on the Amiga which the SNES could not do take a look at 3D games, No Second Prize or Dread. SNES CPU was way too slow.
Old 10 December 2021, 19:51   #47
c0dehunter

SNES game, [ Show youtube player ]is an absolutely breathtaking game!

Now that I have got your attention:

Please post the best graphically impressive game on SNES (and possibly a Amiga counterpart)!!!

Thanks!

Last edited by c0dehunter; 10 December 2021 at 20:53.
Old 10 December 2021, 21:03   #48
Torti-the-Smurf

Nothing beats Manfred Trenz´s RENDERING RANGER R2.

[ Show youtube player ]

This game is Wild. Nothing beats this on the SNES (or Amiga) imho.
Old 10 December 2021, 22:27   #49
c0dehunter

Very true! Amazing graphics and game-play! As much as it breaks my heart, as of late I really don't enjoy playing games on my A500 (old floppy issues, even on GoTek, changing disks, WHDload issues, misc issues etc.)
Old 11 December 2021, 13:39   #50
Torti-the-Smurf

Rendering Ranger R2 is insane.
Nothing can touch this game on the Snes (or Amiga)

If i remember correctly, Manfred did work almost 5 years on this

Dont worry about the Amiga thing.

Thats perfectly fine.

Everybody needs some change from time to time.

Enjoy the superbe Snes Library and especially Rendering Ranger R2.

Last edited by Torti-the-Smurf; 13 December 2021 at 02:13. Reason: Typo
Old 11 December 2021, 17:41   #51
Mixel

I feel like the “how does the A3000 fare against the SNES” discussion would’ve been different if the A3000 (and all the Amigas released thereafter) had come with 2Chip/1Fast as standard.
Old 12 December 2021, 02:54   #52
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
You can play a round of UFO: Enemy Unknown, or Dark Seed, and decide which version is better.
One round of enemy movement in UFO: Enemy Unknown on the A500 takes so long you manage to both cook and eat dinner in the meanwhile.
Old 12 December 2021, 02:58   #53
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink^abyss View Post
I would have happily traded Paula for the SPC700 back then
The pros are 32Khz, 8chn, sample compression, delay, reverb and the replayer takes no time from main cpu. Although the ram was limited to 64kb i would say it allowed much more artistic expression in most situations.
Fascinating that you as a musician would say that.
I have always found SNES music repetitive and rather lo-fi compared to the Amiga. Not that Amiga music isn’t formulaic or lo-fi, but the reverb and interpolation of the SNES, not to mention the short samples, makes so much SNES music sound the same.

It would have been interesting to see what talented Amiga chip musicians would have done with the SNES, but what we got was some amazing music by Nintendo, quite a lot of boring music by Japanese developers and some absolutely awful sampled music by American companies.
Old 12 December 2021, 09:24   #54
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
One round of enemy movement in UFO: Enemy Unknown on the A500 takes so long you manage to both cook and eat dinner in the meanwhile.
How long does it take on SNES?
Old 12 December 2021, 10:35   #55
oRBIT
Zone Friend

SNES have tilebased graphics which is in many cases are more suitable for games than Amiga-bitmapped graphics. Animating background graphics just requires changing bytes, without the need for blitting and stuff.

I think the SNES was an inspiration for many Amiga-democoders in the 90's. Just look how many bitmap-rotators we got in intros/demos after the SNES was releated.
Old 12 December 2021, 11:05   #56
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
How long does it take on SNES?
It doesn't, but that's actually for the better: this way you're spared the crushing disappointment that the A500 version was. For me (huge Gollop fan) it was a bitter reminder I'm stuck in the hardware past in 1994.

But overall, there's no point in comparing these machines from a console vs computer angle: they have always been different concepts. I wanted to play computer games (meaning RPG, strategy, sims, adventure, etc) and do computer things, which is why I chose Amiga and would do so again, even if somebody offered me a SNES with 100 top games free (though I still love it of course, and just got my first real one).

But there's no question that when it comes to strictly action games, SNES's library is vastly superior. I don't think it's even that much because of the bare metal capabilities, but a host of different reasons, such as larger install base meaning SNES-first attitude and bigger investments, the genius of some Japanese devs, quality control, etc.
Old 12 December 2021, 12:55   #57
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oRBIT View Post
I think the SNES was an inspiration for many Amiga-democoders in the 90's.

I think the Amiga was an inpiration for the SNes, no kidding !
Old 12 December 2021, 14:28   #58
pink^abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Fascinating that you as a musician would say that.
I have always found SNES music repetitive and rather lo-fi compared to the Amiga. Not that Amiga music isn’t formulaic or lo-fi, but the reverb and interpolation of the SNES, not to mention the short samples, makes so much SNES music sound the same.

It would have been interesting to see what talented Amiga chip musicians would have done with the SNES, but what we got was some amazing music by Nintendo, quite a lot of boring music by Japanese developers and some absolutely awful sampled music by American companies.

I don't like the muffled sound too, tho i think a fair share come from bad samples in the first place. I like that the SPC takes all work from the CPU and gives you 8 channels with panning. It serves much better for games in my view then Paula.
I think a good mixture of Amiga and SNES audio is GBA audio as produced from GAX. Aliased 8bit wavetables, but with reverb and 8 channels
Old 12 December 2021, 18:41   #59
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Yes, Dean Evans also mentioned this in the comments on one his Green Lantern videos on the tube.
Quote:
We originally used a more awkward system and the Nintendo dev tools and I personally found it awkward to get anything decent out of this system. Myself, Barry Leitch and Keith Tinman designed MEDIT and the PC editor was programmed by Leslie Long and it was Jonathan's (Dunn) SNES driver that played the music on the SNES.

It was with this driver we were able to do a fair bit more with the SNES chip and include fancy effects and tricks in our music.
https://vid.puffyan.us/watch?v=f4V8eVUe2pk
Old 12 December 2021, 19:46   #60
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I think the resolution difference on Amiga made for a better difference a lot of the time. The snes clearly had better hardware advantages and I loved the machine but I never really moved on from using the Amiga in a way I have to a degree with Snes and MD. I mean there are some incredible games on the consoles that I adore and play but I just love using the Amiga

When the Amiga did it's own thing you got some glorious games that you couldn't quite replicate so well on console. Of course this also meant we got Speris Legacy instead of Zelda Link to the past

Last edited by Adropac2; 12 December 2021 at 20:19.