English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 July 2010, 16:21   #41
Graham Humphrey

That would be great if you could - no worries if not though
Old 14 July 2010, 16:22   #42
seuden
uber cool demi god

If you manage to find the source code maybe it would be possible to transfer teams from one league to another? Would save a lot of time and agro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrise View Post
So as you say, you could replace names, but not add new ones. However, if you wanted to use current data, like for example the freely available data that you can get for the PSP version of Football Manager, it would theoretically be possible to do it. What you would have to do is have a list of all the names you wanted to use, compared to all the ones in Champ Man 94. You could then run a comparison and match the names up as best you could matching all the names with the same number of letters as much as possible, so you could then create a new set of surnames (the first names are probably ok).
I'm really excited about the possibilities of this, if we can simplify things by using the data from FM then the possibilities of having a Championship Manager España or Championship Manager México are endless!!

Last edited by seuden; 14 July 2010 at 16:31.
Old 14 July 2010, 17:48   #43
highrise

moving teams is not as simple as it sounds. As I recall we looked into what happened when teams were promoted and relegated and there's a lot of stuff that has to change. Since (almost) none of the players in the old Amiga version are still there (David James maybe?), it's the players that is the real work anyway to be honest.

Not sure if I will be able access the source but I will try. You guys should try and contact Paul and see if he still has it. Is Amos Professional available as a set of adfs or something? I don't mind doing a bit of work on this but I think I'd have to use the PC + emulator really. If I can get AMOS pro working in WinUAE then I could take a little look.

What would be interesting is if we were able to get a conversion process going between new FM data and the old one. That would potentially allow the system to convert some of the data for you.
Old 14 July 2010, 18:15   #44
highrise

I'm trying to find the earlier version of CMed, one of them should have the text file about the background images. In doing so, I discovered that there is apparently a review of CMED in Amiga Future 81 - I'd love to read it if anyone has it.
Old 14 July 2010, 19:10   #45
highrise

well, I found the hard drive, and my amiga 1200 all covered in dust. Sadly it is not booting up right now, not sure why. Will have to investigate further when I get chance.
Old 15 July 2010, 00:28   #46
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
moving teams is not as simple as it sounds. As I recall we looked into what happened when teams were promoted and relegated and there's a lot of stuff that has to change. Since (almost) none of the players in the old Amiga version are still there (David James maybe?), it's the players that is the real work anyway to be honest.
Okily dokily, thanks for the info.

Quote:
Not sure if I will be able access the source but I will try. You guys should try and contact Paul and see if he still has it.
I think he did, I'll pm him when I get the time.

Quote:
Is Amos Professional available as a set of adfs or something? I don't mind doing a bit of work on this but I think I'd have to use the PC + emulator really. If I can get AMOS pro working in WinUAE then I could take a little look.
I'm pretty sure it can be got hold of.

Quote:
What would be interesting is if we were able to get a conversion process going between new FM data and the old one. That would potentially allow the system to convert some of the data for you.
That would be friggin awesome, even if we extracted the data we needed from FM into one form then converted or inserted it into CM.

Quote:
I'm trying to find the earlier version of CMed, one of them should have the text file about the background images.
I'll have a look in the next few days, I'm sure I have multiple versions somewhere.

Quote:
well, I found the hard drive, and my amiga 1200 all covered in dust. Sadly it is not booting up right now, not sure why. Will have to investigate further when I get chance.
Please feel free to create a new thread asking for help, there are plenty of people on here with a huge amount of experience with getting these kinda issues solved but most probably definitely do not have enough interest in CM to look in here.
Old 15 July 2010, 01:46   #47
highrise

can't seem to get the old 1200 booted up. Will try a different PSU maybe, then look in the loft where I might have a spare 1200, not sure I do though.

I connected the whopping 85 meg hard drive to my PC and it fires up, but the PC doesn't recognise it at all, I mean, not as an unformatted hard drive even so that is a problem. Also hooked it up use and IDE / USB but that gave me no joy either. I don't even know if the damn code is on that hard disk! hahaha.

See if you can get the source from Paul, but I'll keep trying.
Old 15 July 2010, 08:12   #48
seuden
uber cool demi god

Try the advice in this thread.

Last edited by seuden; 15 July 2010 at 19:34.
Old 15 July 2010, 17:47   #49
highrise

hi guys

Well, the news is that the old hard drive has given up the ghost. However (and I don't even remember doing this!), I have another hard drive which happily connected to the PC, and I found I had Amos Pro and the CMED source code on there. It booted up fine in WinUAE.

But... (and it's a big but) ... when I loaded the CMEd source code, I got an 'out of memory' error. I tried lots of different configurations but none of them worked. So now I've joined an Amos forum site so we'll see what happens.

Quite frustrating, but hey, at least I have the source now.
Old 17 July 2010, 20:17   #50
highrise

hey guys

unfortunately I have been unable to load the source into the emulator, I keep getting 'out of memory' errors. I've tried lots of different things to make it work but to no avail - tried re-installing Amos Pro on the emulator (failed), tried running it from the Amiga hard disk (failed), tried compiling it (failed).

Sorry but I've reached a dead end with this for the time being. I can't do anything unless I can open the source and edit it. I thought it would be easy but it hasn't been. Still, it's not like people are queuing up to use it, it was just a bit of fun. Never mind.
Old 17 July 2010, 20:45   #51
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Dude I managed to open it - but theres still some problems, check Amos Factory
Old 18 July 2010, 01:28   #52
highrise

thanks mate, I will have a look, much appreciated
Old 19 July 2010, 12:27   #53
highrise

hey guys

thanks to Boo Boo here (smarter than the average bear, clearly), I was able to access the source. I couldn't compile it though, so that may be an issue. I'd love to know how to get this in ascii, so I'll ask at the Amos factory if that is possible.

Here is an image showing you where to look in the source. This shows you all the locations in the raw data of the text of the game. It should be possible to use this to load the raw file into a more modern raw file editor, maybe even into something like Excel.

If you could remind me again which version you are using that would be great. One thing I would say though is I would definitely need to be able to compile it at some point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cmeddata.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	25875  
Old 19 July 2010, 13:46   #54
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Cool, theres usually a few others at the Amos Factory much more knowledgeable than myself -maybe there on holiday.
I have no idea what was wrong with the code and why the strange error messages .

The source seems slightly incomplete the end is cut off?

If youve managed to save the whole lot as Ascii then try loading it back in ,this should allow testing -etc

If not cut it into Ascii blocks and Merge it back together
Ill have a go at this and then upload a file on A F.
Old 19 July 2010, 16:04   #55
highrise

yes, it seems that the bottom part of the code is cut off. I don't know why, but some important subs are missing which will mean it won't work
Old 20 July 2010, 09:47   #56
highrise

hey guys

Hopefully this is useful to you. Here is a list of all the names in the end of season edition, with the number of letters in each. There are 1419 in total.

To make this work, I would suggest using something like Excel, and putting together a file showing how many players in each team, and then make a 'modern' squad for each team based on that number. If you do that, then it should be possible to compile a list of required surnames, and match them up to this one, replacing them all. You might have to do a bit of juggling, but it should work. Once you've done that, then I can most likely create a datafile which can be injected into the original championship manager which will have all the surnames you need. Not in the right order though, that is something you'd have to do in the editor. But there's no reason for it not to work.
Attached Files
File Type: txt cmsurnames.txt (14.8 KB, 253 views)
Old 20 July 2010, 10:05   #57
seuden
uber cool demi god

Nice work highrise, much appreciated.

I think we may have to do it for first names too tho, would that be ok?
Old 20 July 2010, 10:12   #58
highrise

yes, I can do that no problem.

Just reading up here:

http://champman0102.co.uk/forum/show...ear#post153683

this guy has done a modern patch for champ man 01 / 02. I would suggest you contact him and ask him for his data, he might have it in an easy to use format.
Old 20 July 2010, 10:21   #59
highrise

first names... I got these by loading the cm executable straight into a text editor and then running a macro to replace the zeros. You see quite a lot if you open just that file in wordpad or such.
Attached Files
File Type: txt champmanfirstnames.txt (4.0 KB, 162 views)
Old 20 July 2010, 10:22   #60
highrise

if you can figure out what names you will need for both, I can run a comparitive check, find the ones that are not needed and so on. Should cut the work down a lot.