English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 August 2020, 02:34   #41
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by amipal View Post
... It is truly criminal that it only sold ~5,000 copies.
The main changes seemed to be the 3D effect on the landscape damage that IMHO looked pretty bad. The CD32 version by comparison had a CD soundtrack, support for playing your own CDs during play and funky intro cartoons. Worms DC was a funky prototype for Worms 2 but was not polished enough for people to buy another version within 2 years of the original or to upgrade to an AGA machine to play a slightly tweaked version. Worms Armageddon finally made it worthwhile to buy another version of Worms and I personally like Worms Revolution for Matt Berry's voice over and the water physics but other than those three games the series was an excuse for Team17 to play it safe IMHO.
Old 13 August 2020, 03:51   #42
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
The main changes seemed to be the 3D effect on the landscape damage that IMHO looked pretty bad. The CD32 version by comparison had a CD soundtrack, support for playing your own CDs during play and funky intro cartoons. Worms DC was a funky prototype for Worms 2 but was not polished enough for people to buy another version within 2 years of the original or to upgrade to an AGA machine to play a slightly tweaked version. Worms Armageddon finally made it worthwhile to buy another version of Worms and I personally like Worms Revolution for Matt Berry's voice over and the water physics but other than those three games the series was an excuse for Team17 to play it safe IMHO.
"Slightly tweaked" rather undersells a lot of the changes that went into the game. WormsDC added a ton of new weapons, modular speechbank support, and a level of customization that to date still hasn't been matched in more recent games. You can add your own terrain styles in WormsDC - you can't do this with literally any other Worms game, ever.

Worms 2 was originally planned to be nothing more than an "HD" (we, 640x480) remake of the original. Andy Davidson wanted to do more, and so he used WormsDC as a proving ground for ideas including cavern levels, additional weapons, and roping. If Andy hadn't used WormsDC to convince Team17 that the series needed to evolve and grow, rather than just stay the same, there likely wouldn't have been a Worms Armageddon.
Old 13 August 2020, 04:26   #43
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirminator2k View Post
"Slightly tweaked" rather undersells a lot of the changes that went into the game. WormsDC added a ton of new weapons, modular speechbank support, and a level of customization that to date still hasn't been matched in more recent games. You can add your own terrain styles in WormsDC - you can't do this with literally any other Worms game, ever.

Not to mention bugfixes!

It's unfortunate the CD32 soundtrack and animations didn't carry over to DC, but ultimately those are merely cosmetic features. The gameplay improvements in DC made buying it (I have one of those original 5000 copies) very much worthwhile in my opinion--an opinion formed thanks in part to the contemporary coverdisk demos from CU Amiga and Amiga Format.

CD enhancements for DC were supposed to come with the never-released 1.10 patch paired with CU Amiga cover CD 7. I hope the new version finally delivers them.

I haven't played any of the newer Worms games beyond Armageddon (and its iOS derivatives), but DC is still my favorite. Hell, I'd be happy to pay for it again.
Old 01 February 2023, 16:29   #44
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
It's unfortunate the CD32 soundtrack and animations didn't carry over to DC, but ultimately those are merely cosmetic features. The gameplay improvements in DC made buying it (I have one of those original 5000 copies) very much worthwhile in my opinion--an opinion formed thanks in part to the contemporary coverdisk demos from CU Amiga and Amiga Format.
It's VERY unfortunate that despite this new-ish rumour of an update to allow CD music etc and despite the opportunity to polish and relaunch the game on THEA500 Mini that nothing further has been done to his game! It feels like an incomplete demo and although the old woman is a funny addition and the iron donkey is ok it could have been THE definitive Amiga version!
Old 06 January 2024, 13:41   #45
vroom6sri

I've been loving playing Worms DC lately and thought I'd do a quick Google to see if there was any videos or blogs about it's creation, etc. and found this thread (amongst many other results). It looks like the 1.5 hasn't arrived yet but what is the latest current version and how do I go about updating it please? It looks like mine is V1.0 from 04/03/97.
Old 08 January 2024, 07:30   #46
squirminator2k
Dream17 / PortsCenter guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
I've been loving playing Worms DC lately and thought I'd do a quick Google to see if there was any videos or blogs about it's creation, etc. and found this thread (amongst many other results). It looks like the 1.5 hasn't arrived yet but what is the latest current version and how do I go about updating it please? It looks like mine is V1.0 from 04/03/97.
Hi vroom6sri! v1.0 is the original retail version. The latest version (and currently the only patch) is v1.05. The patch disk can be downloaded for free from Dream17 [here.

It's in ADF format, and is basically an updated version of Disk 1 with the newest build of the game. If you're running off floppies, just insert the patch disk instead of Disk 1. If your copy of WormsDC Is installed, you should just copy most of the disk contents over to your WormsDC drawer (you don't need to worry about the Installer, or the TWTEAMS drawer).

If you're running a WHDLoad prepackaged version from somewhere online then, well, find a newer bundle, or install the WHDLoad version yourself using the patch disk instead of Disk 1.

If you're playing on the A500 Mini, you're out of luck - the version of the game included on the system is v1.0 and can't be updated. I have reached out to the company to offer them the patch disk, but I've not heard back.
Old 08 January 2024, 23:13   #47
vroom6sri

Many thanks, Squirminator.