English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 26 June 2009, 22:37   #41
skateblind
Village Idiot

So is it the corporations fault like you said before or is it the users fault like you said now? or both? I'm getting mixed signals here...
I need answers!
Old 26 June 2009, 23:21   #42
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
So is it the corporations fault like you said before or is it the users fault like you said now? or both? I'm getting mixed signals here...
I need answers!
Sorry, I will clarify, in the case of fleabay, I would say it's both, because really it's driven by users on both sides.

Would they have grown as large as they are now without this user interaction ???

No not likely, so does that mean that the company cares about their user input ???

I would say only as far as it makes them more money, more auctions then a large piece of the action for them, hmm, sounds like an old Star Trek episode to me

The unfortunate thing here is that in a perfect world, auction sites would work, but unfortunately you are dealing with all sorts of people, both good and bad. I think greed jumps on too many sellers heads and takes over, hence the skewed pricing for classic items for older machines
Old 26 June 2009, 23:46   #43
skateblind
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Sorry, I will clarify, in the case of fleabay, I would say it's both, because really it's driven by users on both sides.

Would they have grown as large as they are now without this user interaction ???

No not likely, so does that mean that the company cares about their user input ???

I would say only as far as it makes them more money, more auctions then a large piece of the action for them, hmm, sounds like an old Star Trek episode to me

The unfortunate thing here is that in a perfect world, auction sites would work, but unfortunately you are dealing with all sorts of people, both good and bad. I think greed jumps on too many sellers heads and takes over, hence the skewed pricing for classic items for older machines
Funny enough, I agree with you ,I think we got the best of both worlds though. I don't think anyone will be able to change my mind about what this thread was originally about though...
Old 27 June 2009, 00:45   #44
jmmijo

Quote:
Funny enough, I agree with you ,I think we got the best of both worlds though. I don't think anyone will be able to change my mind about what this thread was originally about though...
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree, this is what healthy debate and the human discussion should be about

I didn't mean to berate nor belittle your point of view, I think the whole auction site business is rigged, not rigged for either the seller nor the buyer but for the auction site themselves....
Old 27 June 2009, 13:10   #45
skateblind
Village Idiot

Rigged? In what way?

I don't know what fees real auctions charge, but I would hazard a guess and say ebay charge less. You also get a big audience to sell too and you can feel safe knowing you are protected by paypal.

There are a lot of users out there selling amiga stuff at ridiculous prices, but there are a fair few who start from 99p, which means its up to the buyers to dictate how much they think it is worth. Some buyers do go over the top, but I would say that is just a case of supply and demand then.

The only problem I have with it are the users who close or get someone to close an auction early.

Anyway, I would be happy to continue this discussion, but I suspect we have run out of things to disagree on.
Old 05 July 2009, 22:06   #46
cebulba

thanks for the comms skateblind.
At least someone over here agrees to it.
Old 07 July 2009, 18:03   #47
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
I don't know what fees real auctions charge, but I would hazard a guess and say ebay charge less.
I am pretty sure Ebay takes 10% from your final sale value plus whatever charges for advertising....is this considered much? i dont know but i put up with it

The main thing i hate as a seller is when people ask for their bid to be retracted for whatever reason... especially when they have put the most bids in and there is little time left! It does p1ss me off a bit
Old 09 July 2009, 15:47   #48
danhans

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
I am pretty sure Ebay takes 10% from your final sale value plus whatever charges for advertising....is this considered much? i dont know but i put up with it

The main thing i hate as a seller is when people ask for their bid to be retracted for whatever reason... especially when they have put the most bids in and there is little time left! It does p1ss me off a bit
I feel your pain. I tell people to remove them their bloody self with the bid retraction form. I dont think they can remove their bid in the last 12 hours or something anyway.

Its never caused me an issue though, but annoying it is.

Dan
Old 09 July 2009, 16:15   #49
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Unfortunately after many years eBay have cottoned onto the most useful feature for sellers and seem to have killed it off.

As a seller I regularly use to look up an item similar to mine that had recently ended and send a private mail to the person who came second to buy a similar item (outside of eBay) but now you cannot see who comes runner up
Old 09 July 2009, 16:45   #50
cebulba

@alexh:

You making private offers for your benefit (out of Ebay)

You want to sell items to second bidders for your benefit (out of Ebay)

If all users would take this - there won't be any Ebay any more.
Both is not Ebay's fault but you trying to cheat the system.
Old 09 July 2009, 17:01   #51
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebulba View Post
If all users would take this - there won't be any Ebay any more.
No bad thing.

Quote:
you're trying to cheat the system.
Always!
Old 09 July 2009, 17:14   #52
cebulba

Quote:

To the SELLERS who engage in this practice:

You are being TRICKED. The only reason someone would want you to end an auction early, the ONLY REASON, is because they think they can get the item for LESS than they or other people are really willing to pay. Think about it: If their maximum was really an "outrageous" price, they could just bid that amount normally and they'd win for sure. It's the ones who think they CAN'T win any other way who are trying to con you into accepting a lesser amount.
q.e.d.
Old 09 July 2009, 17:26   #53
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The majority of people we buy from do not read this forum. You're not dissuading sellers, you're just encouraging more buyers to start doing this!

And I don't blame them cos most of the time it works. The seller will end the auction and sell privately for an amount they are happy with but less that could have been achieved had they left the auction running.

Last edited by alexh; 09 July 2009 at 17:35.
Old 09 July 2009, 17:33   #54
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The majority of people we buy from do not read this forum. You're not dissuading sellers, you're just encouraging more buyers to start doing this!
Thanks for the tips.
Old 09 July 2009, 17:35   #55
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Another good idea when you've bought something from an inexperienced seller / non computer user is to ask if they have more items in the attic they have not yet listed.

Quite often you can get gems for next to nothing without any competition whatsoever.
Old 09 July 2009, 17:42   #56
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Another good idea when you've bought something from an inexperienced seller / non computer user is to ask if they have more items in the attic they have not yet listed.

Quite often you can get gems for next to nothing without any competition whatsoever.
Lol, I'm going to hug you.
Old 09 July 2009, 17:47   #57
Sensi
Unregistered User

Would be interesting to start asking all sellers privately for the stuff you dont want and after closing an auction not to buy anything That will teach them