English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 August 2002, 19:54   #41
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Rats...almost forgot my other point: I think Spindizzy (C54) and Spindizzy Worlds (Amiga) are maybe different games based on the same theme (although both are from Electric Dreams).
Old 12 August 2002, 21:58   #42
LUKas007

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic

This part Lukas typed while tripping on Mushrooms! It is non sequitor and has absolutely nothing to do with (or rebuking) my point that the vast majoriy of PC's are Windows based. What does this have to do with what I said?? I am geting a headache just analyzing it LOL!!
Ok, I will translate it for you more clearly as I see you don't seem to understand the 'metaphor'.
I mean that overused generalization produces such statements like:
PC&Win=Every user of PC uses Windows.
Some other ppl think of Amiga=A500+Dynablaster game.
Old 12 August 2002, 22:21   #43
LUKas007

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

As for going from floppies to 2-8 CD's - you see this as being an Amiga referent?!?! Dude, you are tripping. How about a list of all the multi-volume Amiga CD games, please. In the evolution of PC gaming from the Amiga's heydey to now, PC games were being sold on floppies (first 5.25, then 3.5) and are now being sold on multi-volume CD's. How you can rebuke this and say it's an Amiga thing is, IMHO, just being disagreeable for the sake of arguement.
I mean the fact of becoming CDs more often used as floppies.
Yes, there are probably no Amiga games on more than 1 CD. You gave the reason for yourself in the next sentences. PC and many other hardware platforms evolute, Amiga stands in one point for some time that's the reason. Btw, are you suggesting that a game using 2-3 CDs is to be worse than a single CD game?
As for English translation. I have no problems understanding this boorish language which I learned at home just playing a few PRG games. Mabe my English isn't perfect but I understand you clearly without having to look at dictionary. I bet, you even in 5 years spent in Poland wouldn't learn my language.
Anyway, our last posts have nothing to do with System Shock.

Last edited by LUKas007; 12 August 2002 at 22:40.
Old 13 August 2002, 00:03   #44
Drake1009

Sorry for ruining it for you twist. Just thought it was a funny word to use in your vocabulary. Always thought of it as just a game, but it can easily make sense as a word I guess.

And I did make a mistake.

Spindizzy was on the C64 and CPC to mention 2 platforms, but I don't think it was on the Amiga. The Amiga had spindizzy worlds, completely different game. Missed the changing of your spinning thing though. I always liked changing it, and wasn't it part of puzzles some places?

Lukas : Btw, are you suggesting that a game using 2-3 CDs is to be worse than a single CD game?

I'd be suggesting that size isn't nescesarily the same as quality.

The vortex : 4 CD game, horrible
Undying : 2 CDs, not too good but not horrible either.
Megaman X4 : 1 cd, good gameplay
Rayman : 1 cd, good lastability (till you reinstall and lose your saves)
Nomad soul : 3 Cds, fairly good game.
Resident evil 2 : 2 CDs, somewhat of a yawn.

2-3 CDs usually means you'll be switching discs a lot (which was one of the reasons harddisks and CDs became popular apart from speed, no need to be a Disk Jockey to play a game). or that you'd be filling your harddisk with stuff.

I never played Baldurs gate, but I could imagine it'd be a bit bothersome switching discs. They released a DVD version of that which would save you the trouble.

Last edited by Drake1009; 13 August 2002 at 00:09.
Old 13 August 2002, 04:02   #45
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ok, now that you have made it clear, Lukas, I see you compare people's misconception with Windows on every PC vis a vis people misconception of every Amiga owner using the A 500.
Thats fair. But my point is this: the vast majority of PC owners/users, I'd say close to 99 percent, use Windows. So you see, it was not too much of a stretch for me to assume you were boosting the OS (windows) and not the hardware. Glad we cleared that up.
Now, although I am a rabid retrogamer (with preference to Amiga, Atari St and Megadrive), my two favourite game genres, flight sims and racing games, are better on PC than those oldies. The reason is that the oldies cannot in any way match the physics models, damage models etc of the best PC flight sims and racers. Now get this ....very, very few PC racers/ flight sims get it right. Formula One 2002 and IL 2 Sturmovik, two of the best now, are near perfect. To a serious simulation fan like me, the physics models are crucial. Thats the problem with PC hardware; it's not the hardware, its the people who utilize it poorly when coding the bloated PC games out there. On the other hand, on the Amiga, because there was so little to work with in terms of space, the coders had to be efficient. Hence, most racing and flight simulations were excellent and as close to realistic as possible back then. A much higher percentage than nowadays. See? Thats my point freind. More is NOT neccesarily better.
Now, I think you miss Twist's point. Basically, the jist is the same as mine. But you make a serious flaw in stating that Amiga's stood in time. No way, they progressed from rally limited graphics and sound to games like Napalm and Foundations: Director's Cut and Myst. This all on the basic PPC architecture.
Old 13 August 2002, 06:58   #46
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by LUKas007
PC and many other hardware platforms evolute, Amiga stands in one point for some time that's the reason. Btw, are you suggesting that a game using 2-3 CDs is to be worse than a single CD game?
As for English translation. I have no problems understanding this boorish language which I learned at home just playing a few PRG games. Mabe my English isn't perfect but I understand you clearly without having to look at dictionary. I bet, you even in 5 years spent in Poland wouldn't learn my language.
Anyway, our last posts have nothing to do with System Shock.
Amiga stands at one point? I won't even touch that one. As for the 2-3 CD thing, I never suggested anything of the sort. I originally brought it up denoting something that has changed between PC games then and now. Nothing more. You can read anything you want into it, but it will be completely your product and not mine. It seems this off-topic extravaganza keeps happening because of misinterpreting statements. I have no desire to keep clarifying my comments. They are what they are and there is no hidden subtext, so please don't bother asking if I meant this or that by what I said. No symbolism attached.

Your comments about whether I could learn Polish are mere speculation and you have nothing to support that aside from disdain. Derogatory adjectives happily ignored. Perhaps we should stop here and allow this thread to return back on topic.
Old 13 August 2002, 12:07   #47
LUKas007

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

Perhaps we should stop here and allow this thread to return back on topic.
Yes, that's what I was suggesting for some time. Summary: I know what I know, you know what you know. There's no one 'truth' on the world.
Old 13 August 2002, 12:32   #48
Drake1009

DO remember though Twist that this thread is actually off topic split out.
Old 14 August 2002, 00:50   #49
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by LUKas007
Yes, that's what I was suggesting for some time. Summary: I know what I know, you know what you know. There's no one 'truth' on the world.
Re-read the thread and see how many "truths" were suggested. Particularly out of thin air...