English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 March 2019, 07:14   #41
grond

@Don_Adan:

Why 882-compatibility? While the 080 does support all 882 instructions, this condition would exclude the 040 and 060. While your comments about the MMU are mostly correct (perhaps not in that absoluteness "must"), I want to point out that not even the various 68k MMUs were fully compatible with each other. The 080 has a MPU which provides a subset of the classic MMU functionality. It is basicly yet another stripped down 68k MMU incompatible with its predecessors. Perhaps it will evolve into a more compatible variant later in the development.
Old 07 March 2019, 07:56   #42
kolla
Banned

Has icomp officially given up on Amiga Reloaded?

At least I wasn't the one to derail this thread, but since the topic is amiga equivalents of unicorns, and the Apollo Core's legal expert had to chime in to defend his unicorn... why not continue the argument from that other unicorn thread...

So what can the so called legal expert say about his team mates encouraging distribution of "illegal" software through torrent? Is he ok with it? If so, why does he call it "slander" to point it out? And why does he think it's in its place to counter this "slander" with insinuations about abusing women?

Now excuse me, while I have my coffee and breakfast while using my MiST with DianaOS, 3AM eternal release, from Kopyright Liberation Front. Hail Eris, full of Grace.

Last edited by kolla; 07 March 2019 at 08:10.
Old 07 March 2019, 08:47   #43
dmacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
If you want a technical modification of the original technology, why would you go for something that gives you a few percent extra and not for something that is hundred times faster like the Vampires with Gold3 cores (admittedly still in alpha status which still is more than vapourware status) that have something like 600 MB/s mem bandwidth?
So you already know which kind of memory type is being used on Amiga Reloaded, how it is connected to the system bus, and how the RTG solution has been implemented?

And maybe more important, why do you want to target 600MB/s CPU chip ram access bandwidth, if your system CPU is most likely in the 68030 range?

So maybe 20-30MB/s of usable memory bandwidth is more than enough.

Quote:
I mean, I can fully understand the purists that want original hardware, there is no need to discuss this. But if one accepts technical progress, in my view it should be as large as possible.
I guess this also includes people who prefers to use 68030 accelerator cards.

And accepting technical progress is, in my view, completely opposite to actually using an Amiga at all.

Like any Amiga product (including Vampire), this is about selling wish-fulfillment and nostalgia.

And, in all too many cases, the predominant drive to make such HW solution is actually about wish-fulfillment on the HW creator's side.

Last edited by dmacon; 07 March 2019 at 08:59.
Old 07 March 2019, 09:54   #44
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
@Don_Adan:

Why 882-compatibility? While the 080 does support all 882 instructions, this condition would exclude the 040 and 060. While your comments about the MMU are mostly correct (perhaps not in that absoluteness "must"), I want to point out that not even the various 68k MMUs were fully compatible with each other. The 080 has a MPU which provides a subset of the classic MMU functionality. It is basicly yet another stripped down 68k MMU incompatible with its predecessors. Perhaps it will evolve into a more compatible variant later in the development.
Im not military expert, but for some reasons FPU software emulation is not acceptable. 68040 and 68060 has no full FPU (68080 too). For military money is not problem. And it can be big market too. Most military systems is secret.

"Traditionally each sensor in an aircraft is treated as a discrete source of information; however this can result in conflicting data and limits the scope for the automation of systems, hence increasing pilot workload. To overcome this, the Typhoon employs what are now known as sensor fusion techniques (in a similar fashion to the U.S. F-22 Raptor). In the Typhoon fusion of all data sources is achieved through the Attack and Identification System, or AIS. The AIS combines data from the major on-board sensors along with any information obtained from off-board platforms such as AWACS, ASTOR, and Eurofighter own Multi-function Information Distribution System (MIDS). Additionally the AIS integrates all the other major offensive and defensive systems such as the DASS, Navigation, ACS and Communications. The AIS physically comprises two essentially separate units: the Avionic Computer (AC) and the Navigation Computer (NC), linked via the STANAG-3910 databus to the other major systems such as the ACS, ECR-90/CAPTOR, PIRATE, etc. Both the AC and NC are identical in design, being a modular unit based on Motorola 68020 CPUs with 68882 Maths co-processors, as well as several custom RISC-based processors utilised to accelerate floating point and matrix operations."
Old 07 March 2019, 11:15   #45
DamienD
Banned

Guys, can we not turn this into yet another Vampire thread???

It's about "Amiga Reloaded".
Old 07 March 2019, 11:57   #46
Romanujan

@ferrellsl - I went to Vampire web page, clicked Instructions. There was no AMMX documentation there, several instructions shows 404 error as a description or link to wrong documents. I see no link to SAGA register description there. I'm really not going to dig through forums for hours in an attempt to find some documentation which might be actual or not.

If you don't need MMU - fine for you. I need it (tracking down badly behaving software wrecking my system, safer WHDLoad usage), so for now I prefer solutions that are able to provide it. Like Amiga Reloaded, which is being discussed in this thread.

-----

Getting back to topic: I'm only worried about accelerator compatibility. A1200 Reloaded is going to extend A1200 with several functionalities not originally present (like flash card storage). CS Labs accelerator is going to do exactly the same. Question: how they are going to implement this, won't the register addresses collide? If so, will it only render some functionalities unavailable, or something worse?
Old 07 March 2019, 12:04   #47
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanujan View Post
Getting back to topic: I'm only worried about accelerator compatibility. A1200 Reloaded is going to extend A1200 with several functionalities not originally present (like flash card storage). CS Labs accelerator is going to do exactly the same. Question: how they are going to implement this, won't the register addresses collide? If so, will it only render some functionalities unavailable, or something worse?
Well, if both products use the proper Amiga method of making additional hardware work (i.e. autoconfig) for these extra functionalities, I feel it kinda ought to work.

Of course, the question remains whether they actually implement it as such. And maybe 'collisions' already happen between autoconfig hardware - so it could still be a problem. It would be nice if the current makers of Amiga hardware would work together more transparently for these kind of things. But I'm sadly not entirely convinced that there is enough good will or agreement on how to proceed between them to do so.
Edit: Note this doesn't mean I think they're at each others throats or disrespect one another, just that there disagreements on how to do things and as yet no solution.
Old 07 March 2019, 12:32   #48
Tahoe

There is not going to be a 1200 Reloaded, seems Jens is pulling out of the Amiga market. IP and stock will be offered for sale.
Don't expect to see him at Amiga34 either.
Old 07 March 2019, 12:43   #49
kolla
Banned

Has icomp officially given up on Amiga Reloaded?

As predicted.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...1&postcount=51

Last edited by kolla; 07 March 2019 at 13:51.
Old 07 March 2019, 12:46   #50
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe View Post
There is not going to be a 1200 Reloaded, seems Jens is pulling out of the Amiga market. IP and stock will be offered for sale.
Citation needed :-)
Old 07 March 2019, 12:48   #51
dmacon

Quote:

And where exactly did you retrieve such kind of announcement?
Old 07 March 2019, 12:50   #52
Tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Citation needed :-)
This was posted on a dutch forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icomp.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	611.2 KB
ID:	62363  
Old 07 March 2019, 12:54   #53
Jope
-

Interesting, but not surprising. Thanks for the info.
Old 07 March 2019, 13:03   #54
dmacon

This would be quite sad news. Especially considering that Jens has always been a strong proponent of handling this niche business in a legal and professional way. But how can one realistically accomplish this, given the messy state of itellectual ownership over the Amiga IP and its associated key technologies?

This market has way more serious issues than limited Chip-Ram bandwidth....

Last edited by dmacon; 07 March 2019 at 13:52.
Old 07 March 2019, 13:18   #55
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Hold on. You are confusing a couple of things here. What I read about Amiga34 is that he won't be there, which is also confirmed by the post on the Dutch forum, and a similar post was made on a1k. What I do not see - and where exactly did you get this from, please - is that he is pulling out of the market.

It looks like you are making this up.
Old 07 March 2019, 13:21   #56
roondar

Just for reference (as I am in fact Dutch and would like to read the message at its source location), which Dutch forum are we talking about here?
Old 07 March 2019, 13:23   #57
Tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Hold on. You are confusing a couple of things here. What I read about Amiga34 is that he won't be there, which is also confirmed by the post on the Dutch forum, and a similar post was made on a1k. What I do not see - and where exactly did you get this from, please - is that he is pulling out of the market.

It looks like you are making this up.
Did you read the last sentence of Jens' email?
Old 07 March 2019, 13:24   #58
Tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
Just for reference (as I am in fact Dutch and would like to read the message at its source location), which Dutch forum are we talking about here?
There is only one; amiga.cafe
Old 07 March 2019, 13:25   #59
roondar

Nope, there is also amigascene.nl, which is where I looked and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: I have by now read the thread and in all honesty don't feel this is quite as trustworthy as it's being presented here. The thread starter's post about this over at amiga.cafe seems to be almost happy for bringing this news and apart from this one screenshot there is nothing to corroborate the info.

Could obviously still be true, but I'm not convinced just yet.

Last edited by roondar; 07 March 2019 at 13:31.
Old 07 March 2019, 13:41   #60
Tahoe

Maybe my post above was too much based on assumption, however I have no reason to doubt Jens' own words. And who knows, maybe the new owner will develop the Reloaded 1200.