English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 13 March 2011, 23:26   #41
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

It's you!!!! AFF is one of the best games EVER!!!!!!!

I don't have much atm, but did make a donation. May send more in the future. Thank you for all your work!!!!! I still play the crap out of that game after all these years!
Old 14 March 2011, 04:19   #42
ScHlAuChi

I really liked this game - fantastic work DJCruicky!

For those ppl who are too lazy to play it - heres a longplay i did ages ago:
[ Show youtube player ]

*edit* How about releasing the editor so people could make their own levels?

Last edited by ScHlAuChi; 14 March 2011 at 04:25.

Old 14 March 2011, 10:54   #43
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I have a feeling you missed one secret passage in hoverbomber level. I think it is there, I have to try it. On the other hand you gave me a clue about another one, which I couldn work out how to reach.

Last edited by Predseda; 14 March 2011 at 11:08. Reason: typos
Old 15 March 2011, 04:50   #44
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Correction, when I made my post and donation I had not yet read the full thread, I just wanted to give dude man the long over due money he deserved. Now having seen where the money is going, I will not be making any future donations. I lost a close VERY close friend to cancer...

...well malpractice after his bone marrow transplant operation, but that's another story all together. I also have been working in the health field for 15 years and well...

I'll just say I wish now that my money was going to the author.

That said, moving on...

I want to say THANK YOU again so very very much! I can not wait for the updates and I'm glad to have finally found you to let you know how much this game has meant to me through the years. Seriously, it has gotten more game time than most of my professionally written games by large corporations such as Nintendo and the like.

So thank you!!!! And I second the notion for a sequel or at least a release of your map editor.
Old 15 March 2011, 21:51   #45
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Yeah, I was right, there IS another secret passage!

How could I be so blind - I found another secret room!

Last edited by TCD; 15 March 2011 at 22:06. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 15 March 2011, 21:56   #46
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
Haven't played this yet, but still gave a donation. Anyone who is still supporting the humble Amiga and doing their bit for charity is worth donating to in my opinion.
Thank you for the donation .

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDelusion View Post
It's you!!!! AFF is one of the best games EVER!!!!!!!

I don't have much atm, but did make a donation. May send more in the future. Thank you for all your work!!!!! I still play the crap out of that game after all these years!
Thanks for the dosh too. A die hard AFF veteran you sound sir. Sorry for your lose of your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScHlAuChi View Post
I really liked this game - fantastic work DJCruicky!

For those ppl who are too lazy to play it - heres a longplay i did ages ago:
[ Show youtube player ]

*edit* How about releasing the editor so people could make their own levels?
Cool, vid, I've saw that before, really well played. Thank you for doing. Some of the bug fixes in the new version are in-fact a result of watching this video (still coming I promise). I do not have plans to release the Map Editor sorry. It is far from user friendly, plus you would need programming skills not just the Art skills in you to work it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I have a feeling you missed one secret passage in hoverbomber level. I think it is there, I have to try it. On the other hand you gave me a clue about another one, which I couldn work out how to reach.
You guys taking about the secret rooms etc, yes, there are a number not found on that vid. This brings me to my next idea...
I've been pondering over the idea of making an Achievements menu page. I got the idea from playing Steam games on the PC. Basically, you would get trophies for completing stuff in the game. Example: get trophies each for completing the game in Easy, Medium, and Hard mode. Find trophies in the secret hidden areas; get a big trophy for finding them all. After watching 'ScHlAuChi's' AFF video, I saw he finished the game without losing a life (show off ), that could be an Achievement too. Or also, to touch on 'Predseda' idea, trophy could be given for completing the game with only the basic low powered gun or guns. I'll have them saved to disc too. You would not get a prize from me for completing them all . Is this achievements thingy something that would be wanted? Any idea on any other achievements that would be good, if wanted?

DJ Cruicky
Old 15 March 2011, 22:10   #47
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCruicky View Post
Is this achievements thingy something that would be wanted? Any idea on any other achievements that would be good, if wanted?

DJ Cruicky
OF COURSE IT IS!! Thats just wonderful, it will add a lot of new challenge to AFF! A trophy for killing that damn UFO close to the start of the last level I cant even hit it.

Last edited by Predseda; 15 March 2011 at 22:32.
Old 15 March 2011, 22:35   #48
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Hi all,
I've been meaning to post this list all week now but finally is done, please find another list of updates I've done for AFF. Some of which I may have already mentioned. These updates are not something I've just did this last week, but over a few months on and off.
  • New Trigger routine for enemy entrances. Before enemies would enter the screen after a set number of seconds. Now the game has been programmed to also allow enemies to enter screen if player moves to an invisible trigger zone instead of waiting a set amount of time. The trigger zone can be as large or as small as I like. This has gave me more freedom to place enemies in relation to where the player is. A combination of both Trigger and Time can be used too. All for better game play.
  • Added rain to some of the outside levels. Expect Frank to get wet .
  • MORE BLOOD! ALIEN Fish Finger had blood, but now it has more. Added an extra blood routine to skater blood from shot enemies and player (A1200 only). Added option in config menu to turn it off or on. Option is also saved to disc. Screens with rain, blood is disabled to maintain FPS.
  • Easy, Medium & Hard modes added. Option also saved to disc. Points given on entering a new screen:
    300 points on Easy
    500 points on Medium
    750 points on Hard mode
  • Changed some things with big Bosses.
  • Cropping Enemies off the edge of the screen. If a player leaves a screen full of enemies then reenters the same screen, the game now makes sure no enemy is within 50 pixels of the player. This should hopefully reduce player from getting swamped before even getting a chance to shoot.
  • Made many many small level tweaks.
  • Enemy dead bodies now remain on the screen when you walk off that screen then back on.
  • 200 player dead body positions now get saved to disc. Before, for whatever reason, was only 20.
  • Fixed bug where bonus items disappear while still bouncing if player leaves the screen then re-enters.
  • Destructible objects now crumble and fall to the ground in small pieces when shot. (A1200 only).
  • The game now remembers more bullet holes (even more if playing on a A1200 or above). This was done more so for level 2 UFO Boss. The bit where you have to shoot through a big pile of rocks. If the player goes for a walk around the map, the shot out holes should still be there saving the player from having to shoot through them again.
  • Game remembers grenade holes now too.
  • Added water droplets dripping from cave Stalactites.
  • Added NTSC support for our American and Canadian friends. I've combined this with a new screen configuration menu. There will now be no problems of the top or bottom of the screen being cut off during game play.
  • Updated read me Manual.

I hope that lot has wet your appetites.

DJ Cruicky

ps.
Amigapd was kind to interview me on his website. Some of it he copy and pasted from my original post, and some is new HERE. Thank you to him.

Quote:
OF COURSE IT IS!! Thats just wonderful, it will add a lot of new challenge to AFF! A trophy for killing that damn UFO close to the start of the last level I cant even hit it.
That can be done

Last edited by TCD; 15 March 2011 at 22:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 16 March 2011, 09:07   #49
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

David, I found in Lemonamiga this text:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=55

There is some kind of background story. Has this text (at least partially) been written by you or is based on your original?
Old 16 March 2011, 09:51   #50
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Hello David and thank you for a great game and a very interesting read. I'm one of the people who discovered Alien Fish Finger quite late but thoroughly enjoyed it. I can prove it as I proposed it to EABers in three different threads. I like the charityware idea too.
Old 16 March 2011, 23:51   #51
ScHlAuChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCruicky View Post
Cool, vid, I've saw that before, really well played. Thank you for doing. Some of the bug fixes in the new version are in-fact a result of watching this video (still coming I promise).
Great - i have some more suggestions:
Currently you have to crouch to pickup stuff, why not make it auto-pickup by touching?
Grenade throwing is very unprecise, why not do it by holding down fire button - then a white line of points, like 5 or so appears and you can control the direction by pressing in the 8 directions - once you release fire its thrown and explodes on impact - no bouncing and waiting.
If theres more blood now, why not have it leave decals on the walls?
How about some more weapon varity, thats pretty much the only major problem as none of the upgrades are really interesting.
Could be as simple as a spreadshot aka Turrican or a higher firing rate like the Dogs of War Minigun with less damage per bullet - or how about a 8-way shot like contra - just to have some more varity.

Quote:
I do not have plans to release the Map Editor sorry. It is far from user friendly, plus you would need programming skills not just the Art skills in you to work it.
Too bad, would have been nice anyway to tinker around and see some new levels being made
Well maybe you change your mind in the future

Quote:
After watching 'ScHlAuChi's' AFF video, I saw he finished the game without losing a life (show off ), that could be an Achievement too.
To be fair - i used savestates and edited out my major fails
Probably going to make a longplay of the new updated version too - this time with all secret areas

Did you ever think about making an AGA version with all graphics updated to 256 colors?
Could make the game even more awesome

Last edited by ScHlAuChi; 17 March 2011 at 00:25.

Old 17 March 2011, 05:08   #52
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

DJCruicky: WOW, looks like we are about to get more than we ever imagined!!!

Sorry if I sounded a bit jaded up above. I'm always happy to see people who are willing to selflessly sacrifice to something that could be so helpful to so many lives, though from personal experience and a little insight, I would like to suggest maybe donating to an organization who's primary focus in cancer research is in the food industry? That or perhaps in relation to living in a machine based/media gadget based environment?

I know it would be going once again to another shadowy cabal of individuals who we must trust on blind faith, but I feel that in the long run that that is where the most benefits to such research would take place. After all, you never hear about people in the Rain Forest dying of cancer. The natives in America were getting along just fine before civilization conquered them. In fact there seems to be a trend, where ever civilization as we know it goes, cancer follows. Hmmm.

Thankx again and keep up the good will!!!
Old 17 March 2011, 08:49   #53
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Currently you have to crouch to pickup stuff, why not make it auto-pickup by touching?
Grenade throwing is very unprecise, why not do it by holding down fire button - then a white line of points, like 5 or so appears and you can control the direction by pressing in the 8 directions - once you release fire its thrown and explodes on impact - no bouncing and waiting.
How about some more weapon varity, thats pretty much the only major problem as none of the upgrades are really interesting.
Could be as simple as a spreadshot aka Turrican or a higher firing rate like the Dogs of War Minigun with less damage per bullet - or how about a 8-way shot like contra - just to have some more varity.
I dont agree with these much (except blood ), I think it all would ruin the AFF feeling and it would be just a different game then. I would welcome these changes for a future sequel, though!
Old 17 March 2011, 21:18   #54
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I kind of feel the same about the blood. If perhaps maybe it could be made as an option to turn on or off perhaps?...

Take Ninja Gaiden 2 for the XBOX 360 for instance...

...it just took away from some of the grace that the original had.
Old 17 March 2011, 22:21   #55
ScHlAuChi

Quote:
I dont agree with these much (except blood ), I think it all would ruin the AFF feeling and it would be just a different game then. I would welcome these changes for a future sequel, though!
Well the pickup stuff by crouching is abit annoying and unnecessary

Old 17 March 2011, 23:54   #56
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Well the pickup stuff by crouching is abit annoying and unnecessary
That's how I pick up stuff in real life

Well, other than women
Old 18 March 2011, 01:36   #57
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Not me, I always fall for the midgets!
Old 18 March 2011, 03:36   #58
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I tried this for the first time last night on my pandora and it is a really great little game. Looking forward to any tweaks and polish you decide to add to it.
Old 18 March 2011, 08:34   #59
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Not me, I always fall for the midgets!
Haha!! That's not big and I'm pretty sure it's not clever!
Old 18 March 2011, 21:02   #60
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Quote:
David, I found in Lemonamiga this text:

http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=55

There is some kind of background story. Has this text (at least partially) been written by you or is based on your original?
Hi, when people bought the full version, I sent with the disc a printed instruction sheet. The Arsehole, erm I mean the person, who uploaded the full version to the internet must have typed it out (back in 1995) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
Hello David and thank you for a great game and a very interesting read. I'm one of the people who discovered Alien Fish Finger quite late but thoroughly enjoyed it. I can prove it as I proposed it to EABers in three different threads. I like the charityware idea too.
Happy you like. You can be my chief AFF forum spammer when I get the updates released .

Quote:
I need it in so you don't pickup stuff you don't need to pick up. Some places it is not possible to jump over items. Even your video shows you leaving stuff behind to come back for later. Health etc., letters that make up EXTRA.

Quote:
I've made some changes with this. I'm not liking with the lines/points thing above the guys head, but I've gone half way with you on this one. It's maybe not quiet how you maybe wanted, but it's something that keeps the original game play intact, and won't have people shouting you spoilt my game. The way they work now.......
  • Standing + throwing the grenade works the same as the original.
  • Running then throwing grenade, extends its distance (new).
  • Crouch + Grenade = Rolls grenade at a slow speed. Less bouncing. Used for rolling down stairs or off cliff with enemies below (new).
  • Crouch + Direction + Grenade, same as above, but with greater distance and speed (new).

Quote:
That's already in now, but thinking of removing it. Every time it happens i can not afford the cleaning bill.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Quote:
To be fair - i used savestates and edited out my major fails
Probably going to make a longplay of the new updated version too - this time with all secret areas
Why you cheating %^&*# . ooh another long play vid. cool

Quote:
Did you ever think about making an AGA version with all graphics updated to 256 colors?
Could make the game even more awesome
You trying to kill me? :

Quote:
I kind of feel the same about the blood. If perhaps maybe it could be made as an option to turn on or off perhaps?...
Option already listed, see my post #48.