English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 March 2010, 11:09   #41
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

I've been gaming solidly for about 25 years, so have only known 5 years of non-gaming, and I was too young to remember those.

Even back in the early years, I saw no point in other forms of media entertainment, including movies and music, preferring instead to play games which encompassed the lot and were interactive.

I still laugh at people who listen to recorded music and watch movies, and have only recently embraced gaming.
The fools. :-)
Old 27 March 2010, 11:26   #42
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flight View Post
I still laugh at people who listen to recorded music and watch movies, and have only recently embraced gaming.
The fools. :-)
Yeah i find that hard to figure out myself, when gaming had you actually participating in the onscreen action giving you complete control? And NOW they are into gaming??? Must be the "realism" factor and the fact that it requires no brain cells to play most games now or any actually thought or imagination such as with text adventures. Their puny little minds have it all provided for them.
Old 27 March 2010, 11:33   #43
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Yeah, I think for these pin-heads, they're into gaming because games have to a large degree become movies. For example, less interactivity, and even soon the ability to allow the game to play itself for you, when things become "too hard".

In my opinion, the cinematisation of gaming is the worst thing to happen to it: it destroys gameplay.
Old 27 March 2010, 11:37   #44
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
Must be the "realism" factor and the fact that it requires no brain cells to play most games now or any actually thought or imagination such as with text adventures. Their puny little minds have it all provided for them.
I agree. I think it's lack of imagination. People who played and appreciated 8bit games could see past what was being shown on screen and their mind filled in the blanks. The cover art always helped as well
Old 27 March 2010, 11:41   #45
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Yeah, I think for these pin-heads, they're into gaming because games have to a large degree become movies. For example, less interactivity, and even soon the ability to allow the game to play itself for you, when things become "too hard".

In my opinion, the cinematisation of gaming is the worst thing to happen to it: it destroys gameplay.
VERY WELL PUT! the "cinematisation" pretty much sums it up! Its just feels far too manufactured doesn't it!? as if you are playing as you said, like a "movie". There once was a time when Games were GAMES and movies were MOVIES, and music was MUSIC! They were all separate and they were all unique in their own way until some cock sucker thought he would meld them all into gaming and turn chip tunes generated by the console or computer into a Hip Hop song whilst racing down the road with "Cinematic" scenes around every corner with the ability to save the game ANYWHERE thus giving no real challenge.

So playing games now could be compared to putting a DVD in your player and pausing every 15 minutes because you need to go for a shit or get some food because saving a game is like pausing the game so you can continue on.

So why not just hire a DVD and be done with gaming altogether!? sounds like a good idea to me unless gaming gets kicked in the arse a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
I agree. I think it's lack of imagination. People who played and appreciated 8bit games could see past what was being shown on screen and their mind filled in the blanks. The cover art always helped as well
Exactly right Dastardly!!!!! and i have to agree with you 100% on the Cover Art comment!!!! Man, i used to derive SO MUCH from those pieces of work! and if i didn't have the original to the game, there were of course the adds for the those games in the magazines such as Zzap 64..etc.. that you could check out and just piece it all together from those amazing artworks!
Old 27 March 2010, 12:02   #46
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

:-)

It really sickens me, the cinematisation. I'll admit, though, I'm a bit of a hardliner when it comes to this phenomenon. I can't stand even a subtle amount of cinematisation in games. I don't like intros, I don't like outros, I dislike cutscenes of any kind! Hell, I don't even like extra animation frames if they don't enhance gameplay directly.

The Amiga had some cinematic games like Another World (I'm going to ignore Space Ace and Dragon's Lair!), which blew me away when I was an impressionable teenager. But even back then I preferred Prince of Persia, because it had more gameplay than Another World.

Yes, Another World is artistic, but Prince of Persia is simply the better game, in my opinion.

People have always ranted and raved about animated or FMV intros in games. Why don't they just watch a cartoon or a live-action flick? If the argument is intros "set the scene", I disagree. The game itself, the gameplay, should be where the immersion (excuse the buzzword) is.

I guess I've just observed over time "games" making the gamer more passive, and less and less a participant or the one who gives things impetus.

Have you ever tried to play Final Fantasy 3/6 on the SNES, or Xenogears on the PSX? You're basically just sitting there for tens of hours, twiddling your thumbs.
(I won't even bother commenting on modern cinematic "games", as they're beneath contempt...)
Old 27 March 2010, 12:13   #47
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Heavy

Rain
Old 27 March 2010, 12:23   #48
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
21 years for me
Old 27 March 2010, 13:51   #49
Bronko
Remember: Shoot or die!

Send a message via ICQ to Bronko
If you don't like it, don't play it!
I like games, that are just a game, and games that tell me a story.

There always were both types of games.
Like the Text Adventures. Next you rant about Monkey Island? I dare you, you're fighting like a cow!
Old 27 March 2010, 14:02   #50
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

I do think the Monkey Islands are two of the most overrated Amiga games, yes. :-)

Lemon Amiga has them rated at number 1 and 2, the retards! The uncultured swines obviously haven't read a real book by an author gifted in satirical wit. ;-)
Old 27 March 2010, 14:23   #51
Bronko

Ok then, back to "don't like it -> don't play it".
There are enough games without story, oh, even new ones.
And I agree with you, that some games don't need it... Hey, I'm the Turrican fan here!
Old 27 March 2010, 14:32   #52
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

I didn't say I disliked the games that were cinematised on the Amiga (did I say I disliked Another World, or did I say I preferred Prince of Persia?).

I didn't say I disliked the two Monkey Island games. I said they were overrated. :-)

But even if I did, sorry, I don't subscribe to the "don't like it, don't play it" attitude. As a gamer, I've every right to express my disdain for certain tendencies in games. My motive might be to rid gaming of these tendencies, or it might not be... at any rate, everybody has the right to whine like a bitch! :-)
Old 27 March 2010, 14:38   #53
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Yep, all games should be like Pong. Maybe Donkey Kong, but Mario was quite also cinematisated there. On the other hand this might simplify things far too much and improving graphics and adding cutscenes didn't really made games worse that have a decent gameplay? I don't know...
Old 27 March 2010, 14:42   #54
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

SMB was cinematised?

I thought it was pretty big on gameplay...
Old 27 March 2010, 14:51   #55
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

No, I'm talking about Donkey Kong.
/me wishes that RCK would finally implement an ironic tag
Old 27 March 2010, 15:11   #56
Bronko

Donkey Kong! That's nice, and it has such an overwhelming cinematic intro.
Old 27 March 2010, 16:21   #57
ck1200
CBM & Retro Mad

Send a message via MSN to ck1200 Send a message via Yahoo to ck1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronko View Post
Donkey Kong! That's nice, and it has such an overwhelming cinematic intro.
Was playing on this the other day
Old 28 March 2010, 00:44   #58
onkelarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
Heavy

Rain
good reference... I played the demo two weeks ago at a friend's place. Heavy rain has one of the worst gamemechanics I witnessed in a looooong time.

The aim for realism by making the 'player' execute every trivial action (like reaching for a lighter in your pocket??) was / is no fun at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against realistic gameworlds at all. I really enjoy 'new' games like gears of war, Fallout 3 and Mass effect, next to retrogames from any platform. But as said, Heavy rain is a direction I sincerely hope the gamingindustry will not develop any further
Old 28 March 2010, 04:38   #59
Djay
95th User

on topic please
Old 07 August 2010, 19:06   #60
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

25 years ago for me - it all started with the Spectrum 48k. I think I was hypnotised by the loading screens and I've loved gaming ever since! And will continue to do so until for the rest of my life.