English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 13 July 2020, 20:29   #41
johnnybarker

I think Jens is probably right that most original PSUs are not at their best by now and some modern replacements will, understandably, not be designed with our 20+ year old hardware in mind. I suspect he will produce a good product as he usually does. I have to admit though that the only Amiga hardware failure I have ever had due to PSU problems was a Rapidroad. He did suggest (when repairing it for free I must add) that he may not offer further warranty if other lesser PSUs were used. Not sure what to read into this.
Old 13 July 2020, 20:37   #42
rabidgerry

I can see your point there, but I'm happy to put my trust into the Meanwells as people seem to have no issues with them that I have heard and the meanwell rt-50b is very similarly spec to the Mark II A500 supply, the one with 4.5a on the 5v.
Old 15 July 2020, 18:46   #43
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
LOL true. So this cable drop thing is eliminated by using a shorter cable then? Sounds like a good way around it. How long have you used this A-Power PSU? Would you recommend
I've had it for like half a year, but I don't power on my Amiga that often.
Not sure if I would recommend it because of its steep price (~€55), but it's still cheaper than the icomp one.
Old 16 July 2020, 00:19   #44
klx300r

don't get me wrong I have alot of IC parts for my miggies and C64 and all are of great quality BUT I have to say I've been using a custom PSU for my A1200 desktop and A500 made by Ray Carlsen that works great and looks way better than this new IC unit

https://www.carlsenelectronics.net/index.html

..I actually think the price is fair for what it claims to do and also being a custom PSU but looks wise and 2 separate units is a deal breaker for me....if they clean it up aesthetically and put it in one cleaner looking case I might consider it being on my 'real' workbench ;-)

Last edited by klx300r; 16 July 2020 at 00:26.
Old 16 July 2020, 01:48   #45
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
don't get me wrong I have alot of IC parts for my miggies and C64 and all are of great quality BUT I have to say I've been using a custom PSU for my A1200 desktop and A500 made by Ray Carlsen that works great and looks way better than this new IC unit

https://www.carlsenelectronics.net/index.html

..I actually think the price is fair for what it claims to do and also being a custom PSU but looks wise and 2 separate units is a deal breaker for me....if they clean it up aesthetically and put it in one cleaner looking case I might consider it being on my 'real' workbench ;-)
I wouldn't mind a Ray Carlsen PSU, but for ppl in Europe, you basically need to double the price of the actual unit (shipping cost, import taxes etc) then its not so attractive anymore, pricewise. Not sure how much you need to add on top of IC prices if you're in US or Canada..?

Two part design of the IC psu may not be pretty to look at but I'm sure a lot of ppl (me included) will actually find it practical to have a small unit with an on/off switch next to the Amiga while the "brick" is hidden somewhere under the desk.
Old 16 July 2020, 05:40   #46
klx300r

@ eXeler0

yes indeed it makes a difference in cost on what side of the pond you're on for sure and as for the 2 part design I see your point about it being advantageous for some users depending on their setup layout.
Old 16 July 2020, 12:44   #47
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
I wouldn't mind a Ray Carlsen PSU, but for ppl in Europe, you basically need to double the price of the actual unit (shipping cost, import taxes etc) then its not so attractive anymore, pricewise.
While they're nice PSUs as a unit, they're still essentially an off-the-shelf PSU module (a Mean Well PT-65B by the looks of it) in a nice industrial case. So, while that's a step up from the smaller Amiga PSUs that are common in Europe (which tend to be based on the RPT-60B), it would be a simple build for anyone handy with a soldering iron, and far cheaper to build here than import from the US.
Old 16 July 2020, 15:36   #48
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Not sure how much you need to add on top of IC prices if you're in US or Canada..?
Last time I tried to order something from iComp the shipping prices where in orbit at 47 Euros. Pre-pandemic they were in the 7-9 range. It has prevented me from ordering several things from them.
Old 18 July 2020, 09:15   #49
modrobert
old bearded fool

Is it possible to skip the "laptop replacement power supply with barrel jack" (€14 free shipping from eBay) and only get the "Amiga part" of the PSU?
Old 18 July 2020, 16:18   #50
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
Is it possible to skip the "laptop replacement power supply with barrel jack" (€14 free shipping from eBay) and only get the "Amiga part" of the PSU?
If I was to guess, I'd say "no, he's not going to sell it separately, because only with the provided PSU will he take responsibility for the whole thing to work as intended".
Old 03 August 2020, 00:42   #51
Eriond
Happy Registered User

Since there are a few questions in this thread about alternative PSU's, I would like to share my experience:
I have had no issues at all with MeanWell; used both RPT-75B in several retro-fits, and the PPT-125B for heavier duty applications. But a couple of years ago I switched over to XP Power instead. For one, they are slightly cheaper, but more importantly they come in smaller form factors.
My favourites right now are the ECM40UD21 for CD32's and the ECM60UT31 for the rest (A500, A600 & A1200). They pack a lot of punch in such a small size! https://www.xppower.com/product/ECM6...es?m=ECM60UT31
Hmm... just noted that they seem to be phased out soon, so I'd better buy myself a small stock for the future.

For this specific PSU I made a bunch of adapter brackets, so you may fit them inside your original C= PSU shell
https://i.imgur.com/XCvxEGw.png (WB shell) and https://i.imgur.com/71XlCpm.png for the NA shell. There's a WA adpter too: https://i.imgur.com/OUn9VXg.png
Btw, all of these brackets have been printed and proven to work in real-world usage; it's not just some 3D mock-ups
I seem to have "forgotten" to publish them on my GrabCAD site, sorry about that. They should of course belong in public realm. I'll fix that, but not tonight...
Old 03 August 2020, 00:52   #52
turrican9

This one has been working perfectly for me. Mostly using it on A500 Plus, ACA 500 + ACA 1221
Old 03 August 2020, 12:24   #53
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
This one has been working perfectly for me. Mostly using it on A500 Plus, ACA 500 + ACA 1221
Can confirm that A-Power is a PSU that is working well. The only issue is that the output cable is short (unlike the cable shown on the picture), but this was needed to lower the voltage drop.

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 03 August 2020 at 12:30.
Old 03 August 2020, 12:37   #54
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Can confirm that A-Power is a PSU that is working well. The only issue is that the output cable is short (unlike the cable shown on the picture), but this was needed to lower the voltage drop.

I wonder is it a Meanwell PSU they have housed in their own enclosure?
Old 03 August 2020, 13:07   #55
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
I wonder is it a Meanwell PSU they have housed in their own enclosure?
It houses a Meanwell RPT-60B. So you might be thinking that you're paying way too much, but you get a proper enclosure with a proper connector and so on. Not to mention a warranty!
Old 06 October 2020, 01:27   #56
eXeler0

Ait, so I was curious about this new PSU and got one just recently.
I got it from a local dealer here in Sweden and it cost me 915SEK which translates to €87 or $103 (current exchange rate). Is it worth it?

If you're curious too, here's an unboxing video I just uploaded.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 October 2020, 05:08   #57
aeberbach

Thanks for the look! It looks exactly as my first impressions.
Old 06 October 2020, 14:48   #58
wiz12

Nice video, that short inflexible cable connecting the Amiga to the C64 cartridge would get on my nerves.
Old 06 October 2020, 15:14   #59
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Nice video, that short inflexible cable connecting the Amiga to the C64 cartridge would get on my nerves.
Thanx,
yea that is probably my #1 issue with it. It delivers 50W so its plenty for my needs and I actually like the idea of having the Power button near / within arms length, however the combination of the shortness and stiffness of that cable was not the best design choice. Ill probably end up using double sided tape to fix the small cartridge-box into place so it doesn't move around..
Old 06 October 2020, 15:27   #60
8bitbubsy

The short cable length is probably intentional to avoid further voltage drop.