English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 07 December 2002, 00:47   #41
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Evil grin

Quote:
To play this install, you MUST be a registerd user. You will not be
able to play any part of the game. If you haven't contributed to
WHDLoad yet, why not do so.
HEHE

I saw it coming that this ultra-long-awaited release is NOT going to be playable with the unregistered version.
Well, I must say, I'm still not registered, but I will refrain from complaining about not being able to play the game anyway! Well, I can wait!
First, let's see how it plays for you guys and if the gameplay really fulfils your expectations...

Last edited by andreas; 07 December 2002 at 00:52.
Old 07 December 2002, 14:36   #42
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

For the small amount

its costs Andreas, why not register?

I mean, if you were to ever find Gods US, it might prompt me into doing an ADF version.... think about it
Old 07 December 2002, 19:36   #43
andreas
Zone Friend

Not yet. I'm planning to do so, maybe when I get out of this place here and have more space again to put a REAL A1200 next to my PeeCee. A registered WHDLoad is more fun on a REAL A1200 with a REAL HD attached to it.

Gods US? I know you've been hunting for that since a long time, but more likely, a US guy will have a Gods US original than a European type like me.
Old 08 December 2002, 14:22   #44
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Re: Ok, grab it from here

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
http://matrixngc.free.fr/whd/DragonsBreath.LZX

ONE condition...... Please all download the slave from WHDLoad.de.... I have a feeling it isn't going to be a big hit, after all, I don't think it sold very well.... never mind!

Just so theres no confusion, these are images for WHDLoad, the ADF version for Amiga and UAE is not ready yet.
Slave downloaded from WHDLOAD. If it isnt a big hit, its bacause people dont know how <deleted>ing good this game is.

Finally I can delete that arsewhipe of a crack version.
Old 08 December 2002, 14:23   #45
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
HEHE

I saw it coming that this ultra-long-awaited release is NOT going to be playable with the unregistered version.
Well, I must say, I'm still not registered, but I will refrain from complaining about not being able to play the game anyway! Well, I can wait!
First, let's see how it plays for you guys and if the gameplay really fulfils your expectations...
What, dont you have faith in his abilities ????
Old 08 December 2002, 15:38   #46
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To play this install, you MUST be a registered user. You will not be
able to play any part of the game. If you haven't contributed to
WHDLoad yet, why not do so.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEHE

Will be interesting to see if the Dragon's Breath whores who have been begging for this patch, for what has been the longest time now, will actually register WHDLoad now (if they haven't already!). Someone here (Burseg perhaps?) said that it might just take one really desirable game for people to register WHDLoad. Methinks Dragon's Breath will be quite the acid test!

Galahad: Well done to you (and Jeff & Frank) on the patch m8! Hope the masses give you some encouragement for your hard work on patches like the Dragon's Breath one.
Old 08 December 2002, 15:50   #47
Amiga1992

They should already make all the installs for regged users only ;D
Old 08 December 2002, 19:31   #48
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by whiteb
What, dont you have faith in his abilities ????
Hehe ... at least you got it perfectly the wrong way without a doubt.

If I'm skeptical about the gameplay quality, it's by far not regarded to Galahad's work, but rather to the work of the original game programmers, mind you!

Last edited by andreas; 08 December 2002 at 19:48.
Old 09 December 2002, 03:07   #49
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:

Hehe ... at least you got it perfectly the wrong way without a doubt.

If I'm skeptical about the gameplay quality, it's by far not regarded to Galahad's work, but rather to the work of the original game programmers, mind you!
Yeah, agree'd.

But the game itself had a great concept, and gameplay was fantastic. But yeah, they way it was slapped together was a bit haphazard.

As Galahad said,

Quote:
The protection system was quite competant and took a while to remove. In fact its the one thing that stops an otherwise well coded game working!
Old 09 December 2002, 13:59   #50
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

hope you can wait...

Quote:
HEHE

Because the ADF version is completed.... but won`t be released until you do register

From what I can gather Andreas, Real Amiga or WINUAE, WHDLoad gets used by you quite a lot.

Its a useful program on both formats. Ok, Toni wishes we didn't fix everything because he wants to make WinUAE react as much like a real Amiga as possible, which is a fair point.

But Andreas, you do use it. If WHDLoad cost a fortune to register, I could well understand, but I have been on EAB for over a year now, and in all that time you have made no effort to register.

So.... if you want to play the ADF version, you are going to have to register. And if anyone releases a cracked Dragons Breath slave, I will simply re-release it with more features and protected so that they can`t! I'm quite confident about the 'cracking' ability of some of todays 'crackers'!!

At the end of the day Andreas, it is entirely your choice as to what you want to do... but please bear in mind, that the majority of old slaves are now going to be updated and re-released as register only, and the same for new slaves.

Your choice..... just helping you to make the right one
Old 09 December 2002, 16:39   #51
BippyM
Global Moderator

Hallelujia!!!
Old 09 December 2002, 18:08   #52
andreas
Zone Friend

Stick out tongue THE AVOWAL! ;-)

Quote:
From what I can gather Andreas, Real Amiga or WINUAE, WHDLoad gets used by you quite a lot.
You want me to be honest? Well, my mates from German GAEB might be able to confirm this. I really use it quite rarely, less than two hands are sufficient to count them.
I've played tons of games, but virtually every time I've played them directly from ADFs.
Seriously. I can remember of exactly 2 (TWO) installers I used for creating HDFs of Jurassic Park AGA and Double Dragon 2 (the latter because it was quite a long time until the ADF version finally worked, also due to your and Codetapper's useful technical information).
For testing, I installed Godfather using WHDload because this stupid thing always looked for data on DF0:. Then I installed Academy, also for testing purposes.
2 weeks ago, I used JFF's Operation Stealth installer to test the behavior on the WHDinstalled version.
Lastly, I used it for testing mouse control behavior in Hybris (still a LOT to do).

Makes seven, all in all, in more than 2 years.
I too have to confess that I don't have so many originals, thus causing many installers not to work anyway.

Quote:
Because the ADF version is completed.... but won`t be released until you do register
Well well, now I smell the acrid scent of blackmail in the air
Hey, I'll think about it, OK?

Last edited by andreas; 09 December 2002 at 18:22.
Old 09 December 2002, 18:27   #53
Drake1009

Well look at it this way. I've played P.P. Hammer on WHDload because TUDE wouldn't work with it, and I've played Cloud kingdoms to fix graphics glitches and that's what I've used WHD for, and still I'm considering buying it.
Old 09 December 2002, 19:00   #54
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I don't see why everyone likes ADFs so much...

ADFs mean:

- Disk swapping (okay, this might not be a problem with the four disk drives of WinUAE, but you still have to insert all the disks)
- Emulation problems with bad disk routines
- Slow loading
- Non working cracks

WHDLoad, on the other hand:

- Gets rid of disk swapping
- Causes games to be more compatible with emulators
- Means you play the original games, with all parts intact
- Means fast loading from hard disk
- A quit key back to Workbench
etc.

I don't understand why anyone would use ADFs/floppies where WHDLoad installs are available. Just because WHDLoad is more of a real Amiga thing doesn't mean that it can't be used very successfully with emulators too!

I registered WHDLoad several years ago - and it's been the best money I spent for my Amiga.
Old 09 December 2002, 19:14   #55
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would use ADFs/floppies where WHDLoad installs are available
One reason: it is not possible to use UAE's save states with WHDLoad (because saving/restoreing harddisk state is not supported)
Old 09 December 2002, 19:16   #56
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

A small price to pay!
Old 09 December 2002, 19:34   #57
Ian
Global Moderator

Well I for one will not be registering it.

The reason: I don't freaking use it

Registering it just for one game that I'd never even heard of let alone played before I came here seems more than a little pontless to me.

I prefer to use adf's anyway, even with games like Monkey island. On the very rare ocassion I actually play an Amiga game, I can't be arsed booting to workbench and sullying my enjoyment by looking at the drab dreary grey WB screen. I just want to get on with it.

Sure it may take longer to load, but to be quite honest, I couldn't give a shit It gives me time to get a drink from my kitchen

I'm not saying WHDLoad is bad, because clearly it isn't, it's just not for me that's all

The option for me to run WHD registered was there as I found a WHDload key upped to my FTP, but knowing that I'd never use it I deleted it straight away anyway.
Old 09 December 2002, 19:37   #58
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I'm not saying WHDLoad is bad, because clearly it isn't, it's just not for me that's all
as well as James Bond I see
Old 09 December 2002, 20:17   #59
andreas
Zone Friend

@Cody

Apart from the reason Toni mentioned, it's just less practical on an emulator, that's what it's all about. You need to either install the stuff on HD via WB, or un-lha everything and use it as a 'hard directory' in WinUAE.
An ADF is fired up in a blink of an eye, no WB, nothing. No extra work.
Conclusion: I only use it if the ADF way is awkward (for example if the disk amount exceeds 4). And note that I don't need it either when I can copy everything to the HD [image] without problems. ('Cruise for a Corpse' et al.)
Old 09 December 2002, 20:25   #60
Drake1009

Well seeing as how I use the emulation mostly for testing if ADFs work and not for actually playing the games and enjoying them I wouldn't register WHDload to use there. I'd need to use it on my Amiga since that's where I'd be using it anyway. And with 2 MB chip ram it's very limited indeed what I can run through it anyway. But as stated earlier I'm still considering.

Even if I got the WHD version of a game I think I'd still be playing from disks mostly because I actually like the swapping of disks to play some game. It brings back memories and then there are loader tunes and pictures which as far as I can tell will disappear with WHD.