English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 November 2018, 15:03   #541
QkiZ

FBlit works fine without config. Or maybe I have this config and I'm not aware of this. Anyway do you know how to extract Deficons from 3.9 and install it on 3.1.4?

Sent from Moto G (5S) Plus via Tapatalk
Old 04 November 2018, 15:28   #542
PeterK

You would need at least the DefIcons commodity + icon from WBStartup, the ENVARC:deficons.prefs file and a bunch of ENVARC:sys/def_xxx.info files. The Prefs/DefIcons tool is optional for changing the configuration. But don't ask me for possible dependencies, a correct version of rexxsyslib.library, which fits to the workbench.library, is required.

FBlit should have the correct ENVARC:FBlit.cfg file installed to run stable. The defaults are not always optimal. Read the FBlit.guide.
Old 04 November 2018, 15:45   #543
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Os 3.1.4 is closer to OS 3.9 (v45) than to OS 3.1 (v40). [...] That means you can not simply copy 3.1.4 over 3.1 without replacing some other programs too or changing some configs and preferences.
I already thought about this problem. All the tools on Aminet don't know OS3.1.4 and their installers too. Then how to decide what to install if Requirements string says 3.1 or 3.5 or 3.9. I fear the user needs to try if it works or not.
Old 04 November 2018, 16:11   #544
jurassicman

Hi all,
I've upgraded my 3.9 with the upgrade script and everything seems ok (I had to remove some lines from my startup-sequence and some programs from my wbstartup folder).

I've a problem, though, when I run a simple script I've made to mount a Samba share I receive a message on a system request window that says: "please insert volume Console in any drive".

This happens only if I run the script from GUI (I use the software CLICon), it doesn't happen if I run the script from CLI.

Any clues? The console.device module is already inserted and it is present in the custom ROM I've made with the 3.1.4 ROM (I've only added the v45 intuition library).

As per the CLICon instructions I have a few tooltypes on my script, one of them is "WINDOW=NIL:". I think that this is the cause of this issue...

Attached the CLICon program if someone wants to check it... thanks in advance!

Last edited by jurassicman; 04 August 2019 at 15:36.
Old 04 November 2018, 18:08   #545
QkiZ

Quote:
You would need at least the DefIcons commodity + icon from WBStartup, the ENVARC:deficons.prefs file and a bunch of ENVARC:sys/def_xxx.info files. The Prefs/DefIcons tool is optional for changing the configuration. But don't ask me for possible dependencies, a correct version of rexxsyslib.library, which fits to the workbench.library, is required.

FBlit should have the correct ENVARC:FBlit.cfg file installed to run stable. The defaults are not always optimal. Read the FBlit.guide.
I already used deficons.prefs from 3.9 in 3.1 with Deficons from Newicons 4.6. Icons already in place. So I need commodity and prefs program. Thx, I will check it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Hi all,
I've upgraded my 3.9 with the upgrade script and everything seems ok (I had to remove some lines from my startup-sequence and some programs from my wbstartup folder).

I've a problem, though, when I run a simple script I've made to mount a Samba share I receive a message on a system request window that says: "please insert volume Console in any drive".

This happens only if I run the script from GUI (I use the software CLICon), it doesn't happen if I run the script from CLI.

Any clues? The console.device module is already inserted and it is present in the custom ROM I've made with the 3.1.4 ROM (I've only added the v45 intuition library).

As per the CLICon instructions I have a few tooltypes on my script, one of them is "WINDOW=NIL:". I think that this is the cause of this issue...

Attached the CLICon program if someone wants to check it... thanks in advance!
So it's possible to update AmigaOS 3.9 with 3.1.4?

Old 04 November 2018, 19:06   #546
Dunny

So 3.1.4 ROM images can't be used with WB3.1? Is that right?
Old 04 November 2018, 19:17   #547
QkiZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
So 3.1.4 ROM images can't be used with WB3.1? Is that right?
Why not?

Old 04 November 2018, 19:20   #548
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by QkiZ View Post
(...)
So it's possible to update AmigaOS 3.9 with 3.1.4?
Yes, it is. There is a script that you can run and it asks you for all the 3.1.4 disks.

At the end you must reboot your system and it should work. As said I had to "clean" a bit my S:startup-sequence file and my WBStartup folder.

As far as I know, though, it is better if you make a new 3.1.4 installation from scratch.
Old 04 November 2018, 19:25   #549
daxb

@jurassicman:
CLICon is a IconX replacement written by THOR. Maybe he also wrote/enhanced/whatever IconX and of course OS3.1.4.. So he should know. Ask him.
Old 04 November 2018, 19:40   #550
QkiZ

Quote:
As far as I know, though, it is better if you make a new 3.1.4 installation from scratch.
I didn't know that. I have to partitions, one with 3.1 updated to 3.1.4 and second with 3.9. when I finish configuring 3.1.4 I will update 3.9. But what will be version of 3.9 after update files from 3.1.4?

Old 04 November 2018, 19:58   #551
jurassicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by QkiZ View Post
I didn't know that. I have to partitions, one with 3.1 updated to 3.1.4 and second with 3.9. when I finish configuring 3.1.4 I will update 3.9. But what will be version of 3.9 after update files from 3.1.4?

I think it should be a 3.1.4 after the upgrade but I actually don't know if my old 3.9 OS is a "real" 3.1.4 OS after the upgrade or if still has "traces" of 3.9.

Scout still sees my system as a 3.9 but before the upgrade it was able to recognize the Boing Bag version as well while now it says only "3.9".

@dax
Thanks, maybe I'll ask THOR. Is he active on this forum?
Old 04 November 2018, 22:26   #552
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
I think it should be a 3.1.4 after the upgrade but I actually don't know if my old 3.9 OS is a "real" 3.1.4 OS after the upgrade or if still has "traces" of 3.9.
Such a system should have the best of both, so yes, there will still be many OS3.9 components. Which is a good thing.

Quote:
Scout still sees my system as a 3.9 but before the upgrade it was able to recognize the Boing Bag version as well while now it says only "3.9".
That appears to be a bug in identify.library, which is used by Scout. It seems to be looking at the Kickstart version, instead of version.library, to determine which AmigaOS version is in use. Thus causing the wrong Boing Bag version to be indicated.
Old 05 November 2018, 09:54   #553
Madk71

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterc View Post
One of the whole reasons I built a 1MB ROM is so that I don't have to LoadModule and reboot. I do have about 4K of something in Chip mem, but I can't remember what it is now. So I have almost 2MB chip once in WB.
Hi, can you tell us how you have done to achieve that. I tried to build a 1mb rom but the system hangs and I am not able to understand which is my mistake.

Thanks
Old 05 November 2018, 10:03   #554
Madk71

Quote:
Originally Posted by betajaen View Post
I streamed on Twitch yesterday, and spent a few minutes covering this. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/322571279?t=01h05m35s (1 hour 5 minutes in)

Sorry, but I didn't do a longer segment on that. Maybe I'll do a better tutorial to make a 3.1.4 ROM from Remus if the interest is there.

The version is set in the Settings tab.
Hi Betajaen, I saw the video and your setup is amazing, can you tell how you installed on the 3.1.4 all the features like magic menu, dopus an so on. I am experiencing problem trying to do that. If you have a guide, I really will be happy to follow it. I am tring, also, to have better looking icons, and I tried to install, without success, the ken's icon V3 and V4 but I don't understand how.
I only understand that the V4 may be too heavy for an A1200 even if I got a 68030.

Thanks
Old 05 November 2018, 11:25   #555
daxb

Quote:
Thanks, maybe I'll ask THOR. Is he active on this forum?
He is active on other forums afaik but you can use email.
Old 07 November 2018, 20:33   #556
QkiZ

Quote:

I made all step that you mentioned in your post. Everything is working fine except Deficons preferences. This because I have old ClassAct libraries in OS. Is it possible to copy them from 3.9 and it will be working?

Old 07 November 2018, 20:35   #557
kolla
Banned

Yes, you can do that.
Old 07 November 2018, 20:48   #558
PeterK

I have never ever changed the DefIcons configuration. But yes, it should be possible to "steal" everything you need from OS 3.9.
Old 07 November 2018, 20:56   #559
QkiZ

Quote:
I have never ever changed the DefIcons configuration. But yes, it should be possible to "steal" everything you need from OS 3.9.
You can add new filetypes and that's main reason to use prefs for Deficons.

Old 07 November 2018, 21:12   #560
DamienD
Banned

Hi QkiZ,

Can you please turn off your Tapatalk signature?

...as some people get annoyed with it: Remove annoying Tapatalk sigs?