English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 December 2014, 11:23   #501
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Why won't they remove them ? Why keeping them, they're useless, and makes the TOSEC archive for amiga bigger than it is really......
Old 01 December 2014, 11:37   #502
s2325
Zone Friend

Some bad cracks have rare crack intros or trainers.
Old 01 December 2014, 16:11   #503
brett71

Couldn't the known, confirmed 100% cracks be separated into their own area from the alternates, instead of being nuked? That way, those rare intros won't be lost. I know that some of those confirmed 100% cracks are marked, but still, some games have like 2 dozen different cracks, not including alternate disk images, sometimes the signal-to-noise ratio can make it difficult to pick out the "marked 100%" ones, or know which disks go with it.

Just my $0.02 worth (which with the value of the dollar being what it is, is probably more like $0.002 worth).
Old 01 December 2014, 16:34   #504
butfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Use WHDLoad then. No point complaining about a bad crack when in most cases a perfect crack is available.
i'm a bit of a noob and i've never used WHDload on the xbox version of winuae. i know it don't support ipf files which sucks but maybe whdload files are supported. so far i've been playing games loading a simple adfs with the right config and for the most part everything is good.
i'm far from complaining. as i mentioned i have the utmost respect for the amiga scene of past and present, but when it come to the tosec set and it seems others here agree that it would be a cool feature if bad cracks were labled and also maybe verified good cracked games were labeled.
i know such a task would be an huge undertaking but if all known amiga releases are to remain included in the tosec set for the future for the reason which s2325 mentioned above, which is a very good point i might add, then the idea of pointing out whats good and bad would be very useful indeed.
if this feature were to be added in the future i would personally delete all the bad stuff, but it's good that bad cracks and versions with rare intros are preserved also.
Old 01 December 2014, 17:15   #505
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Some bad cracks have rare crack intros or trainers.
Then 2 choices : either repair those cracks, or extract the crack intros and trainers.

If some talented crackers could see what's wrong with those cracks, and correct them, this would solve the problem.
Old 01 December 2014, 17:20   #506
s2325
Zone Friend

Some disks may be NDOS. I think we should leave them as they are.
Old 01 December 2014, 22:54   #507
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

i love the work done by crashdisk, he is restoring ADF disks for Tosec. But some games back in the day have been butchered, with content removed.

Should we keep non-working files as they are untouched ? I'm currently running thru the SNES predate BBS archive collection, and my god, the amount of rom images that are overdumped, unusable, and not-working..... i'm checking each, and replacing the faulty ones with working ones.
Old 02 December 2014, 00:27   #508
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Then 2 choices : either repair those cracks, or extract the crack intros and trainers.

If some talented crackers could see what's wrong with those cracks, and correct them, this would solve the problem.
That's a terrible idea. If someone was to download, say, a Paranoimia crack which wasnt 100%, fix everything wrong with it, and then reupload it, it's no longer the Paranoimia crack. These cracks should be preserved intact, fully working or not.

Not to mention, catering for people without hard drives and fast ram is a complete waste of time. It's 2014 for gods sake.
Old 02 December 2014, 00:29   #509
s2325
Zone Friend

No, it's 1992.
Old 02 December 2014, 00:45   #510
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
That's a terrible idea. If someone was to download, say, a Paranoimia crack which wasnt 100%, fix everything wrong with it, and then reupload it, it's no longer the Paranoimia crack. These cracks should be preserved intact, fully working or not.
Mmmhh.....you're right about 'accuracy', but gods sake if a paralamia crack is fucked up, they did patches at these time to fix their mess right ?

This is why i say that about fixes and correction

So you're right, and i'm right too, so what to do ?

Quote:
Not to mention, catering for people without hard drives and fast ram is a complete waste of time. It's 2014 for gods sake.
Indeed, we have gotek drive and also HxC drive emulators in which we can put an Sd card with the whole tosec if we want to
Old 02 December 2014, 20:47   #511
butfluffy

seems i had not been keeping my eye on the ball so to speak. i asked a question over at the xbox xtras site regarding possible future ipf support and it seems that ipf support is included in the latest v18beta6 which i have now downloaded.
hopefully i can say goodbye to some of those not knowing whats a bad cracked game until a few levels in issues now.
i have also set up the latest winuae on my gaming pc for some of those newer more power hungry amiga games. i'm thinking that some of the more power hungry amiga 1200 games which run slow on the xbox could be converted and playable on my cd32 if with mouse and keyboard connected.
Old 03 December 2014, 20:15   #512
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

2014 100% cracks... Only way to go.. IMHO of course
Old 04 December 2014, 16:29   #513
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
2014 100% cracks... Only way to go.. IMHO of course
At this point, I tend to agree.

In my humble opinion, we have a good number of very skilled crackers here (with experiences both back in the day and today) and the tools available for cracking are light-years ahead of where they were 20 years ago. It would be awesome for these guys to take on the challenge of doing THE definitive 100% cracks for some of these games that have so many different cracks, versions, alternate disk dumps, etc. Don't nuke the old ones, but set aside a new area for these new re-cracks or long-needed proper 100% cracks.

Huge kudos, of course, go out to guys like Galahad and Stingray, and the many others who are already doing this.
Old 04 December 2014, 20:08   #514
butfluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
At this point, I tend to agree.

In my humble opinion, we have a good number of very skilled crackers here (with experiences both back in the day and today) and the tools available for cracking are light-years ahead of where they were 20 years ago. It would be awesome for these guys to take on the challenge of doing THE definitive 100% cracks for some of these games that have so many different cracks, versions, alternate disk dumps, etc. Don't nuke the old ones, but set aside a new area for these new re-cracks or long-needed proper 100% cracks.

Huge kudos, of course, go out to guys like Galahad and Stingray, and the many others who are already doing this.
yes. and rather than butcher up the tosec set maybe an all new elite 100% only set would be a good idea.
if there is more than one 100% version existing by more than 1 cracking group then include both versions in the set and the gamer could choose whcih version he or she would like to play using the version cracked by the cracking group of his her choice safe in the comfort that the game will be 100% completable.
if there is more than 1 version carcked by more than one group i never know which would be best to play and always wonder does more than one cracked version exist because a cracking group done a bad crack anmd someone else fixed it.
Old 04 December 2014, 22:26   #515
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

I dont see the need for sub-sets of TOSEC. Just identify the bad cracks and fix those flags to say so.. then you have identified any missing 100% cracks. And the heroes will do the job needed.

No need to flag them 100%, just fix the bad flags!
Old 04 December 2014, 23:11   #516
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
I dont see the need for sub-sets of TOSEC. Just identify the bad cracks and fix those flags to say so.. then you have identified any missing 100% cracks. And the heroes will do the job needed.

No need to flag them 100%, just fix the bad flags!
Would this also include 2+ disk games that have 5-10 different dumps of each disk?
Old 06 December 2014, 03:46   #517
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Return to Genesis:

Return to Genesis (1988)(Firebird)[cr RSi][t RSi]

Delivers a green screen with a bunch of hexadecimal codes as soon as you type your name in the high score table.
Happens if using a stock Amiga 500 FS-UAE config.
Old 06 December 2014, 06:14   #518
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
It would be awesome for these guys to take on the challenge of doing THE definitive 100% cracks for some of these games that have so many different cracks, versions, alternate disk dumps, etc.
They already have. It's called WHDLoad.
Old 07 December 2014, 05:03   #519
butfluffy

i thought the bad cracks topic was more for cracked adf files rather than discussing WHDload or ipf formats, great as they are. the tosec adf set seems to be mostly the focus of recent posts.
Old 07 December 2014, 18:16   #520
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

yes, let's stay on the cracked ADF topic